• HTML tutorial

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Thank You Gravel Travel Canada!

I don't do much rock crawling either but definitely a lot of gravel, dirt roads and extended range trips.
Does Icon sale the bearings? Are they pretty good on Customer Service?

Again thank you for the info, really helps.
It is wonderful to see some one else who is more interested in travel on dirt/gravel roads than rock climbing. Thanks for the post!!!

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Stuck a one inch block under the leafs to compensate for the bumper weight. Not ideal but the truck sits level again

New tires, Nitto Ridge Grapplers. A bit more aggressive than most at tires. I am blown away at how quiet they are, simply amazing.

Took the awning, cb antenae, etc off for the winter. Salt season where I live is about to start.

Sent from my STH100-1 using OB Talk mobile app

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
There are some awesome Colorado trucks on here. I was just reading the build by @ Sonny Marton last night. Very impressive. I had no idea so many options are available for those trucks but your local fabricator is a wizard for sure. My FIL has a Colorado, completely stock. I'm going to have to show him some of these trucks and see if he'll turn me loose on it.

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

There are some awesome Colorado trucks on here. I was just reading the build by @ Sonny Marton last night. Very impressive. I had no idea so many options are available for those trucks but your local fabricator is a wizard for sure. My FIL has a Colorado, completely stock. I'm going to have to show him some of these trucks and see if he'll turn me loose on it.
Wait until you see the trailer I am working on with the fabricator. My days in a tent are over [emoji12]

Reactions: kickkem

Sonny Marton

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the kind words, but Gravel Travel Colorado has some stuff that makes me jealous. If his fabricator was local I would have had him build me bumpers. I am still on the search for similar quality fab work.

Can't wait to see the trailer, the only issue I had when looking into them was getting stuck somewhere with little room to turn around.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Can't turn around with a trailer? That's simple, but not easy. I have had to do this plenty with a big rig. It sucks because of the time and effort but it works. Drop the trailer. Turn as needed. Back up as close to the trailer as you can and hook up. Use chains or straps to move the trailer as needed ( not an option with an 18 wheeler trailer, obviously) This requires precision and careful planning but it can be done. It is no fun, but this will, hopefully, remove your nightmares of getting hung up and not being able to maneuver.

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Bought hubs that don't fit the hd spindles of the Timbren setup. Anyone have a source? I bought 5x5 17 inch wheels as they were to fit the hub assemblies I bought. Having a hard time finding hubs :( Supposed to start building tomorrow but cannot start until we know where the tires will sit. Willing to use spacers to change bolt pattern if I have to....

Door and windows arrived. Not cheap. Got a 30x36 inch door. I am not small so the larger sized door will be nice.

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Took quite a bit of drawing and redrawing to get it right, but it's finalized. Rolling chassis should be done by weeks end.

Bought a queen sized, 6 inch memory foam mattress. Very comfortable.

Rear swing out had to be able to open with the trailer connected, this impacted the design in a negative fashion. Was hoping to get the distance between trailer wheels to rear wheels the same or similar to the distance between front and rear wheels.

All in all the design is solid. 2x3 framed chassis. The box will be 1x1 framed. Aluminum for the exterior walls, floor and ceiling. We're still debating on how best to do the corners.

Spare will attach to the rear of the trailer.

Interior will be insulated then finished with white gloss pvc sheets.

A few things left to buy. A roof vent, a trailer light package, etc.