Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
How long did it take your mechanic to do both front and rear axles ?
About a week, would have been done sooner but Revolution sent the wrong gears so they had to send them out again. Dan over at Taylor Axelworks was awesome...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
About a week, would have been done sooner but Revolution sent the wrong gears so they had to send them out again. Dan over at Taylor Axelworks was awesome...
Glad you got it back and all is well. Have you checked it out yet ?

Reactions: Magic Mike

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well this happened. @Firemom and I installed our dual battery system and Redarc BCDC 1225D DCDC to DC charger yesterday. Fairly easy install, had to make our own mount for the Redarc charger. Used a C4 Fabrication dual battery tray and got the battery at Sears, but everything else was picked up on Amazon. Built the entire set-up for under $900.00

View attachment 110087View attachment 110088View attachment 110089View attachment 110090View attachment 110091View attachment 110092View attachment 110093View attachment 110094View attachment 110095View attachment 110096View attachment 110097View attachment 110098View attachment 110099View attachment 110100
You make it look easy but it's not. I don't know how you found space under the hood. That's a nice way to mount the sine wave, I would never have thought you could do it that way. O have no imagination when it comes to electronics, I just get a mental block. I hope I can fond someone at a rally somewhere that has a set up I can examine thoroughly to get some ideas for my install.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
How long did it take your mechanic to do both front and rear axles ?
Took about four days, but it would have been done soon if Revolution would have sent the wrong set of gears... Dan over at Taylor Axelworks is a solid dude...

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Glad you got it back and all is well. Have you checked it out yet ?
Yeah I ran it a couple of times since then. Once at Death Valley and once on a snow run, both times the gears and lockers worked flawlessly

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Yes, they finally came through and scared the hell out of me. Looks like creatures from the black lagoon. :- {
Yeah but it hopefully is going on the rig today....

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Well here is the finished product. Did the install of my Safari snorkel. The funny part is that I was really apprehensive about this install. I must have watched six install You Tube video's on this process. In everyone of them the people talked about how hard, time consuming and frustrating the install had been. Also everyone of them talked about the inner fender liner being impossible to remove.

After watching each of the video I noticed that all of the people were trying to remove the liner grommets intact. When they couldn't get them out they merely fought with the liner, until the install was finished.

Next, I researched the fender liner removal using the 4Runner repair manual and found out that the grommets are not re-usable and are meant to be replaced. The manual stated there were 6 bolts and 14 grommets. I went to Auburn Toyota and bought 14 grommets for $14.00, was the best money I've spent. This one decision made the entire install super simple.

Anyways here you go.IMG_4103.jpgIMG_4105.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well here is the finished product. Did the install of my Safari snorkel. The funny part is that I was really apprehensive about this install. I must have watched six install You Tube video's on this process. In everyone of them the people talked about how hard, time consuming and frustrating the install had been. Also everyone of them talked about the inner fender liner being impossible to remove.

After watching each of the video I noticed that all of the people were trying to remove the liner grommets intact. When they couldn't get them out they merely fought with the liner, until the install was finished.

Next, I researched the fender liner removal using the 4Runner repair manual and found out that the grommets are not re-usable and are meant to be replaced. The manual stated there were 6 bolts and 14 grommets. I went to Auburn Toyota and bought 14 grommets for $14.00, was the best money I've spent. This one decision made the entire install super simple.

Anyways here you go.View attachment 140584View attachment 140585
And it looks super good . You done good boy. LOL

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Really like the build and ingenuity that went into making everything work like you wanted. Hopefully I'll get there one day. True inspiration!
Thank you very much, I am sure you will. Just let your travels and trips dictate what your needs are, prioritize those needs and make it happen.... I am never more at peace than when I out adventuring, or working on my rig. Hard to believe that this beast was a completely stock SR5 4Runner a mere 2.5 years ago, she surely has taken on a life her own but she makes me happy..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Had to go out and do some essential vehicle maintenance, went California Fabrication in Carmichael, Ca and got my baby new shoes.... The rubber was toast, but now she's on 35's! If you live in the Sacramento Area, or within driving distance go by and check Chance and crew out they do awesome work.IMG_0224.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0229.jpg

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Newest addition to my girl, California Fabrication rear upper, lower adjustable control arms and adjustable Pan Hard bar.. I love these things, super stout and no worries about bending them...

09C82D2B-5F66-4553-9190-539BC992DAD7_1_201_a.jpeg27CC295D-4853-4533-A4FD-55C2ABC3B1AF_1_201_a.jpegD94DB508-D834-4D8A-B793-00A0C6EA156D.jpegB84A6FFB-81DB-4A42-80CB-DC3AD054386D_1_201_a.jpeg

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Since I ended up folding the stock Toyota sway bar end links here is my solution to that problem... New heavy duty, adjustable Overland Custom Design sway bar end links. Mike (the Owner) rates them at 150,000 PSI and so far I love them....

BC79CFE1-6312-4F0E-9AB3-2CC55AFF77FF.jpeg6A91B1A8-67E5-4A0F-B4CE-2D8F54A5A75D.jpeg37B92617-D374-42F9-8A7E-8FF025992120.jpeg7787DBF8-5284-407F-8A8D-F40BB827B21A.jpegD4A53AFC-4C4E-4E57-8FD3-CF6A8358C7C2.jpeg62BFCDA2-AA31-4C1D-B8C2-DCC98C07AB1A.jpeg

Last edited: