Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
You know, I had a frank man to man discussion with him last night about him carrying his own weight around here. That little punk just looked at me like he didn't know how to speak English.
He's giving you the silent treatment, eh? Gotta respect his moxie.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
We're 11 days out and it looks like we've got a great crew coming! :grinning:

So here's a few final details:
- For those camping on Friday, check-in time is at 2pm. I'm probably taking the afternoon off to get there close to check-in time, go ahead and get camp setup, have time to relax and maybe get in some hiking.
- I'll have my OB flag up to be easy to find (I believe @THorner has one as well). I don't think anyone should be hard to find though, since just about the entire campground is accounted for by the people on this trip. :tearsofjoy:
- For those who aren't camping Friday, the meetup time for the trailhead will be 10:30am on Saturday (trailhead location can be found in the Rally Point).
- The Friday campers will head out from the campground at 10am to convoy up to the trailhead.
- Saturday, we'll take our time exploring and having a good time out on the trails. There's plenty to explore out there.
- If anyone has rented a campsite but is only staying Saturday night (since the minimum reservation is 2 nights), you might want to call on Friday just to give the ranger a heads up that you won't be checking in until Saturday.

Looking forward to it!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

- For those camping on Friday, check-in time is at 2pm. I'm probably taking the afternoon off to get there close to check-in time, go ahead and get camp setup, have time to relax and maybe get in some hiking.
- I'll have my OB flag up to be easy to find (I believe @THorner has one as well). I don't think anyone should be hard to find though, since just about the entire campground is accounted for by the people on this trip. :tearsofjoy:
- For those who aren't camping Friday, the meetup time for the trailhead will be 10:30am on Saturday (trailhead location can be found in the Rally Point).
- The Friday campers will head out from the campground at 10am to convoy up to the trailhead.
- Saturday, we'll take our time exploring and having a good time out on the trails. There's plenty to explore out there.
- If anyone has rented a campsite but is only staying Saturday night (since the minimum reservation is 2 nights), you might want to call on Friday just to give the ranger a heads up that you won't be checking in until Saturday.

Looking forward to it!
I have a flag as well.
I won't be able to get there by 2, but I am coming up on Friday. I'll probably leave the office around 2 and go straight there. Do you know when the latest we can check in will be?
Would anyone like to join me on the Suboataru for some fall fishing? It's a small skiff, but it can comfortably carry 2 more people onto the water. 15½' long but it is super wide for it's size for running in shallow water. Pretty sure the beam is at least 5½' wide. It's set up for night/late evening fishing with spot lights, UV fish attracting lights, chart plotter and sonar. I just dropped it off for a fall tune up this morning. I'm excited at the opportunity to finally combine some good fishing with overlanding.

johnniac57

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Parrigan
Member #

Looking forward to it!
I'm also planning on taking Friday afternoon off and heading up early. Did you have any specific hikes already in mind? I've done a few in that area.

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I'm also planning on taking Friday afternoon off and heading up early. Did you have any specific hikes already in mind? I've done a few in that area.
@RancheroDeluxe and I will convoying out there from the west side of Charlotte. Not sure on the exact departure time yet, but hoping to get there prior to sunset on Friday

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I have a flag as well.
I won't be able to get there by 2, but I am coming up on Friday. I'll probably leave the office around 2 and go straight there. Do you know when the latest we can check in will be?
Would anyone like to join me on the Suboataru for some fall fishing? It's a small skiff, but it can comfortably carry 2 more people onto the water. 15½' long but it is super wide for it's size for running in shallow water. Pretty sure the beam is at least 5½' wide. It's set up for night/late evening fishing with spot lights, UV fish attracting lights, chart plotter and sonar. I just dropped it off for a fall tune up this morning. I'm excited at the opportunity to finally combine some good fishing with overlanding.
I'm not sure but I do know the park closes at 9pm. But I believe if you know you're going to have a late check-in, you can call the ranger station to give them a heads up and they'll be able to accommodate.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Awesome! I was thinking of just hitting up the Natural Bridge trail, since you can walk over to the trailhead from the campground and maybe hit a portion of Raven Rock, since it branches off of Natural Bridge.

Reactions: johnniac57

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Some potentially cool news – there is a gate right on the border of SC and NC that cuts off the connection of Musterground Rd to Auger Hole Rd, going up into Gorges State Park. And, for those who where at our trip to Gorges over the summer, if you remember there was also a gate that prevented crossing the bridge over the Horsepasture River where everyone camped at. Well I just stumbled across a video on YouTube of some guy out riding Musterground and it looks like both of those gates are open right now. The guy said he's never seen the NC/SC gate open before.

Whether or not the gates will still be open when we head out there next weekend is uncertain but his video was posted just a week ago, which is encouraging. So it seems very possible that we'll also get to explore the portion of Auger Hole Rd that was cut off to us on our trip to Gorges! :smile:

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Some potentially cool news – there is a gate right on the border of SC and NC that cuts off the connection of Musterground Rd to Auger Hole Rd, going up into Gorges State Park. And, for those who where at our trip to Gorges over the summer, if you remember there was also a gate that prevented crossing the bridge over the Horsepasture River where everyone camped at. Well I just stumbled across a video on YouTube of some guy out riding Musterground and it looks like both of those gates are open right now. The guy said he's never seen the NC/SC gate open before.

Whether or not the gates will still be open when we head out there next weekend is uncertain but his video was posted just a week ago, which is encouraging. So it seems very possible that we'll also get to explore the portion of Auger Hole Rd that was cut off to us on our trip to Gorges! :smile:
Does he state when he was actually there to see the gates open? Curious how long ago it was

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Does he state when he was actually there to see the gates open? Curious how long ago it was
He doesn't but his videos were posted on the 12th, and since they're just raw footage from any basic smartphone or action camera (i.e. no editing), I'm assuming they were posted the same day they were filmed.

Reactions: JButtress

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

I plan to be there Friday afternoon also and yes I will have a large OB flag on display. Looking forward to seeing everyone then.

Reactions: JButtress

ziggy stardust

Rank II

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
aaron
Last Name
von
Member #

I was up there a few weeks back and the S.C./NC gate was down but not open by choice. Apparently someone had knocked it over, a few hunters told me that they would ticket anyone driving back there but there were no signs indicating no vehicles were allowed, so be careful and enjoy your trip

Last edited: