Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Honestly, it might just be easier anyways to camp at the campground both nights. That way we can leave our camp setup and just go out and drive.
Probably the most courteous way to go about it. The time where we would normally stop to start setting up camp is about the same time a hunter is getting set in their tree stand or blind. There is nothing quiet about this group setting camp - laughing, bullshitting, kids running around, banging around setting up tents, etc... all the game that is in 500 yards of there is going to lay low and stay bedded down. Everything downwind is scattering. I don't want to ruin some other dude's chance to put meat in the freezer. Riding during the middle of the day, however, will stir up game out have them out moving which would help hunters later in the day.

Reactions: Apdski

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Probably the most courteous way to go about it. The time where we would normally stop to start setting up camp is about the same time a hunter is getting set in their tree stand or blind. There is nothing quiet about this group setting camp - laughing, bullshitting, kids running around, banging around setting up tents, etc... all the game that is in 500 yards of there is going to lay low and stay bedded down. Everything downwind is scattering. I don't want to ruin some other dude's chance to put meat in the freezer. Riding during the middle of the day, however, will stir up game out have them out moving which would help hunters later in the day.
Right on. Let's do campground both nights then. That'll make things easier, we can just leave our stuff at camp when we go out to venture, and we'll know that we have a place to camp, whereas on the trail there's always the chance that you get out there and there's nothing left.

I just looked at Keowee-Toxaway State Park. It's a beautiful area and it's only 20 minutes down the road from the trailhead. It wouldn't technically be group camping, but they've currently got a block of 11 campsites available that are grouped together:

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 11.52.59 AM.png

So we'd all have our own camp site but could still just hang out around one of the site's firepits as a group. And their rates are only $13 per night.

If everyone is good with that plan, we can either purchase the sites individually, or I'm totally fine with just purchasing a block and you can pay me back when we get there.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Right on. Let's do campground both nights then. That'll make things easier, we can just leave our stuff at camp when we go out to venture, and we'll know that we have a place to camp, whereas on the trail there's always the chance that you get out there and there's nothing left.

I just looked at Keowee-Toxaway State Park. It's a beautiful area and it's only 20 minutes down the road from the trailhead. It wouldn't technically be group camping, but they've currently got a block of 11 campsites available that are grouped together:

View attachment 119250

So we'd all have our own camp site but could still just hang out around one of the site's firepits as a group. And their rates are only $13 per night.

If everyone is good with that plan, we can either purchase the sites individually, or I'm totally fine with just purchasing a block and you can pay me back when we get there.
I'm good separately or together, just need to know so I can purchase

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Does the campground require reservations?
If we stay at Keowee-Toxaway, yes. The only campground I'm aware of in the relative vicinity of Bad Creek that's first-come first-served is Cassidy Bridge Hunt Camp. It's definitely big enough for a group but since it's first-come first-served, we wouldn't be guaranteed space.

However, we should definitely keep that place in mind for non-hunting-season times of year because when it's not hunting season, that place is reservation only but it's only $30/night and you're renting out the entire place! So it's $30 for as many people as you can fit in there. :smile: And we'd have the ability to lock/unlock the grounds, meaning we could leave all of our stuff there, lock up the camp, venture out, and then come back to stay.

Reactions: RickLB

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

View attachment 119250

Looks like sites require a 2 night minimum stay, as I just tested out doing 1 night

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Looks like sites require a 2 night minimum stay, as I just tested out doing 1 night
They do. All the campgrounds that I'm aware of in that area – Keowee-Toxaway, Devil's Fork, and Table Rock, at least – require a two-night reservation. So you might have to just reserve it for 2 nights, even though you're only staying Saturday. Price-wise, it's actually still reasonable – the two-night reservation would be $26, which is the same price as a 1-night stay at most other campgrounds in the Upstate that allow 1-night stays – such as Twin Lakes or Oconee Point.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

They do. All the campgrounds that I'm aware of in that area – Keowee-Toxaway, Devil's Fork, and Table Rock, at least – require a two-night reservation. So you might have to just reserve it for 2 nights, even though you're only staying Saturday. Price-wise, it's actually still reasonable – the two-night reservation would be $26, which is the same price as a 1-night stay at most other campgrounds in the Upstate that allow 1-night stays – such as Twin Lakes or Oconee Point.
I can come out Friday night after work. Just not sure what time I’ll get there.

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

Getting spots at the campground sounds like a good plan to me. I always like to have as much of a solid plan in place as possible. As for who does the reserving, it doesn't matter to me. I can venmo now if you don't want to wait till Nov to get paid back.

As for my friend who may join with his own truck, I will try to get a confirmed yes or no ASAP.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
For those who have already RSVPed ( @THorner , @JButtress , @Sasquatch SC , @BlazingArmoury , @DrivingTacoLoco , @Apdski , @johnniac57 ), we should probably go ahead and reserve our campsites. They tend to get booked pretty far out this time of year.

You can book your site here:

I went ahead and booked site T7. For anyone who RSVPs closer to the time of the trip, hopefully sites will still be available but even if they aren't, we can probably fit you in somewhere. :smile:

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

For those who have already RSVPed ( @THorner , @JButtress , @Sasquatch SC , @BlazingArmoury , @DrivingTacoLoco , @Apdski , @johnniac57 ), we should probably go ahead and reserve our campsites. They tend to get booked pretty far out this time of year.

You can book your site here:

I went ahead and booked site T7. For anyone who RSVPs closer to the time of the trip, hopefully sites will still be available but even if they aren't, we can probably fit you in somewhere. :smile:
I booked campsite 4 & 5 for @THorner and I

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Just reserved site 9!

I was at Old NC-105 the last few days showing it to some friends of mine. The road is a lot more washed out going up than it was when we went a few months ago.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Jeff,
Should I book my own site or was the plan for some of us to share T7. If I need to book my own do you have a link?
Thanks
You can book your own. Look about 4 or 5 comments up and you'll see the link to where to book. Pumped you'll be joining us from Maryland! :smile:

Reactions: THorner