Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
As for camping, I'll figure that out once we see how many people are coming and whether we're going to do Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Sunday.

For those who are coming, please cast your vote in the poll on this thread for the preferred trip duration.

Last edited:

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Mr. Dill, I tried to RSVP but it indicated the limit had been reached. 0 of 0 attending. As far as the duration of the trip, I'm good with Friday through Sunday. Thanks again for taking the lead on this.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Thanks for the heads up, @THorner . I'll try to get that fixed. I need to get a poll added to this thread as well (had to run out the door right when I published the rally point :blush:).

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
@THorner RSVP issue should be fixed now, please try again. That system is really weird. Apparently, even though you've already set the number of rigs allowed, you also have to set the number of RSVPs that are allowed. But you can't set the number of RSVPs without sending out invites...

So I just sent an invite to myself to be able to set the RSVP limit to something. :confused:

Reactions: NC-Trooper

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

Ive got it in my calendar. Hopefully nothing comes up.
Its about a 5 1/2 hour trek for me so I am curious how these meet ups work.
Do we just schedule a location with a rough time of where everyone meets before heading in?

Reactions: THorner

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Ive got it in my calendar. Hopefully nothing comes up.
Its about a 5 1/2 hour trek for me so I am curious how these meet ups work.
Do we just schedule a location with a rough time of where everyone meets before heading in?
Exactly. Once we get closer to the date, I'll set a time for everyone to meet at the trailhead (probably 10 o'clock-ish) and then we'll hit the trail together.

Reactions: Apdski

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
And to piggyback off of @Apdski 's question, an FYI for everyone:

Whether you do Friday to Sunday, Friday to Saturday, or Saturday to Sunday, we'll be hitting the trail on Saturday. Friday will just be camping at a campground because the majority of folks will either be heading out after work or having to drive a long way (I know we've got at least a couple of Eastern NC folks), so it'll just be a take your time getting into camp kind of thing for Friday.

On Saturday morning, we'll all meet up at the trailhead and go have some fun. Hopefully, we'll be able to camp Saturday night out on the trail but that'll be dependent on how many people will be camping and what I can find out there. If the trail camping doesn't work, then we'll spend all Saturday wheeling the trails and then go back to a nearby campground.

That being said, this trip will accommodate everyone with no problems – whether you're camping all weekend, only camping Friday or Saturday night, or only coming out to hit the trails with us on Saturday and then leaving. The poll is just to help get accurate numbers to plan for camping. Accordingly, I've added "Friday to Saturday" and "Saturday only (no camping)" options to the poll.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

It’s all WMA land right? It may piss a lot of other folk off if we trail camp a group out there in November - the peak of deer season. I haven’t been out there & I’ve always hunted private land - so I don’t know if it would make any difference to them. Riding the trail won’t bother any hunters as long as we aren’t out there banging around at dusk or dawn. Just something to keep into consideration that we’re sharing the area w/ people trying to bag a buck. It’d be the same as 10 people on jet skis ripping up the lake early the same morning as a bass tournament. We’ve gotta play nice w/ others.

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

So I know I am new to the group here, but do you guys have a policy about bringing guests? I have a friend who would possibly like to ride along and possibly another friend who might want to drive his rig. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't frowned upon.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

So I know I am new to the group here, but do you guys have a policy about bringing guests? I have a friend who would possibly like to ride along and possibly another friend who might want to drive his rig. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't frowned upon.
I should probably let @Jeffrey Dill reply to your question, but........ I'll jump in here. Guests, Yes definitely, a friend with their own rig, Yes definitely. Perhaps they will discover why this is a very worthwhile group / forum and decide to join us formally. Perhaps they will make new like minded friends and have the opportunity to spend more time out on the trails and caring for the places we all love and want to preserve. I for one have made many new friends through this forum and feel that they are all fantastic people. Just my $0.02.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Bring 'em along. The Overland Bound mission statement says "Overlanding is a movement. It's a mission. It isn't elitist, and it doesn't matter what you drive. It's for everyone who feels the call of the wild, and anyone willing to go find it."

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The more the merrier! For the one who'd be bringing their own rig, assuming they're not on OB and therefore can't RSVP, if you could just let us know if they're coming that would help with numbers for planning the camping arrangements.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I should probably let @Jeffrey Dill reply to your question, but........ I'll jump in here. Guests, Yes definitely, a friend with their own rig, Yes definitely. Perhaps they will discover why this is a very worthwhile group / forum and decide to join us formally. Perhaps they will make new like minded friends and have the opportunity to spend more time out on the trails and caring for the places we all love and want to preserve. I for one have made many new friends through this forum and feel that they are all fantastic people. Just my $0.02.
Absolutely.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Bring 'em along. The Overland Bound mission statement says "Overlanding is a movement. It's a mission. It isn't elitist, and it doesn't matter what you drive. It's for everyone who feels the call of the wild, and anyone willing to go find it."
And another absolutely. :smile:

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
It’s all WMA land right? It may piss a lot of other folk off if we trail camp a group out there in November - the peak of deer season. I haven’t been out there & I’ve always hunted private land - so I don’t know if it would make any difference to them. Riding the trail won’t bother any hunters as long as we aren’t out there banging around at dusk or dawn. Just something to keep into consideration that we’re sharing the area w/ people trying to bag a buck. It’d be the same as 10 people on jet skis ripping up the lake early the same morning as a bass tournament. We’ve gotta play nice w/ others.
It's only open during hunting seasons, so you're probably right that it's WMA land. I'm not a hunter though, so I'll rely on you and any of the other hunters in the group to say whether it'd be a good idea for us to stay out there. I have seen other off-roaders/overlanders camp out there but, of course, that doesn't mean that they should have been out there. :smile: