Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Ratthew, This year I have 62 days in Baja solo. Yes, I started going there at 4, now 62. Yes, I do remote camp quite a bit (when my wife was alive, we did it together, remotely). I drive a Ram 2500 4x4, 32" tires, winch and bumper, shell and custom overhead rack. Usually there is a kayak, surfboards, and outside toys on it. It does stand out a bit. Go how ever you can, don't do stupid stuff, don't start drinking/smoking when you wake up, don't do drugs on your trip, maybe stay home if you are on the enforcement side of things. YOU"LL BE FINE!!!

If I waited for may surfing/kayaking/fishing friends to to plan trips there wouldn't be 62 days. I plan my trips let them know when and where I am going, the rest is up to them. I know you hear how bad things are, stay away from the cities. I blow through TJ as fast as I can, Rosarito too. There are so many great places to see, so many experiences to have there. Having a great time will never make the news, having a bad time will. I was going in the 90s when things were all over the news, it was great, nobody was there.

"The fear of the unknown is far more powerful than anything based in knowledge."
If you have any questions PM me.

Joseph Mongillo

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Camarillo, CA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Mongillo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WLT
I'd like to caravan with a few people starting on the US side. I'm coming from Ventura County the 27th or 28th. Sounds like a couple of yall are shooting for about the same. Wanna plan for a meetup?

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
I'd like to caravan with a few people starting on the US side. I'm coming from Ventura County the 27th or 28th. Sounds like a couple of yall are shooting for about the same. Wanna plan for a meetup?
I am leaving for San Felipe on the 27th. I live outside of Calexico. You are welcome to join us.
Ken

D

Deleted member 37338

The weather isn't looking all that great from Dec 24th-30th, highs only in the 50s. Hopefully the forecast gets a little better.
Baja weather will
Be 60’s 70’s perfect. Leaving Lake county Ca. 12/19. I will be on 146.460 ham and 16 C B. Happy travel

Reactions: 06tacodude

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hope it doesn't get windy! If there is a high over four corners, it will blow. If it does blow think about going to the pacific side, it will be offshore or clam.

Joseph Mongillo

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Camarillo, CA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Mongillo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WLT
We will probably get on the road by 1:00 pm. It takes about three hours to San Felipe and I don’t like driving at night in Baja.
Ken
This works for me. Give me some time to get down to you in the morning.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
The weather isn't looking all that great from Dec 24th-30th, highs only in the 50s. Hopefully the forecast gets a little better.
Are you sure you have the correct weather location? There’s several San Felipe on weather Apps. This is what’s showing on weather channel app “San Felipe, Baja Mexico”.

Adjustments.JPG

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Wish I could make the post christmas trip!! But we will be heading out of las vegas this thursday and coming back monday

Does anyone know if there is a place to buy Scepter MFC's down in baja ? I will be heading towards San Felipe and any helo is appreciated!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We have spent quite a few years at our place around Christmas & New Years and the weather for the most part is usually very cool, but comfortable. It's the desert, so nights get cold and the wind can blow, sometimes for several days straight. During late winter & early spring you're almost always going to have the north winds blowing for at least part of your trip. The Sea of Cortez side of the Baja peninsula is one of those places where the weather rarely stays the same for more than a few days at a time. Although, I wouldn't count on there being much rain this time of year. One caution about the wind; it can go from nothing to gale force in a matter of minutes and for some reason it seems to come up in the middle of the night more than any other time, so make sure everything is secure before you go to bed at night. I'm speaking from experience when I say, it's no fun chasing your gear down the beach in the dark, in the cold, in your jammies.

Last year, the weather was the best we can remember it being in a long time (daytime temps in the low to mid-80's). The year before, not so much... The bottom line is you should be prepared for the worst. I also wouldn't even start looking at weather forecasts this far out. I would recommend checking San Felipe, Puerto Penasco and Yuma a couple of days before you leave. That should give you a fairly good idea of what to expect.

D

Deleted member 37338

I am heading to baja right now. I should be there tomorrow around 7:00am if any body want to hook up I will at 146.460 ham radio my call sign KK6ZIK or channel 16 CB or let me know a place to meet more than like we will be around San Felipe 12/25. Don’t worry about the weather or any other Concern Baja always been the perfect place to be. Just be prepared if you have any issue with your car look for me I carrie a good amount of tools with me. Happy Holidays be back in USA1/8/20

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I'm a bit green when it comes to the radio stuff. I do have a handheld CB & a handheld HAM Radio. I haven't taken any of the classes/tests yet or applied for the permit/licenses, but I don't think the FCC covers Baja. Since most of you don't use VHF, I'll bring them with me & have them turned on while we're there, although I don't know what kind of range I'll get.

Safe travels everyone...

D

Deleted member 37338

Hey Glen.Don’t worry about fcc around here just remember to be on 146.460 hope we can touch base. I am in Ensenada right now. Weather is superb. A beautiful sunny day?

Reactions: Joseph Mongillo

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Thanks brother.... Hope you guys have a great trip & hope we can hook up. For all the years we've been going down to our place we haven't ventured out much & I'm hoping to pick your brain a little regarding some of the other awesome places to visit in Baja.

Reactions: Joseph Mongillo