Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Super interested. Was planning on heading a few days before Christmas. Get away from the Cali cold...

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
We can plan this as we go. Meet in San Felipe on the 27th or 28th of December and then head for Bahia de Los Angeles. We can regroup in LA Bay and figure out what to do after that. There are travel options for every personality.

I will be driving my 1989 Chevy 4X4 with camper shell or my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. We will be set up for camping, but the if the weather turns bad, we will be hunting for a hotel. I don't like to camp in high winds or rain if I don't have to.

As for spares, make sure you vehicle is well prepared. Take a look at your hoses, tires and fan belt. Prepare it right so you don't have to do anything on the road. If you can make it 300 miles on a tank full of gas, we shouldn't need to carry any extra. This is not a difficult trail. Any 2WD with adequate clearance should make it.

For paper work:
Everyone should have a passport, passport card or at least carry a copy of your birth certificate with drivers license.
It helps if your car is registered in your name.
Mexican car insurance is a must. It can be bought on line before your trip.
All foreign citizens traveling in Mexico must fill out a FMM card, basically a visa. I think you can get it done on line, if not you can fill it out when you cross the border.

After Thanksgiving we can get fine tune it more. How many folks are committing to this as of now?

Ken

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

We will be in San Felipe the 27th and 28th, then Gonzaga Bay 29th and 30th, then Bahia de Los Angeles the 31st,1st, and 2nd. We will be in our 07 Xterra 4x4 and plan to camp.

While you can fill out the FMM Tourist Card online, you do have to get it stamped by an immigration officer at the border in order for it to be valid.

I imagine we will be moving slower than most but hope to meet some fellow OB members in Baja.

Simon

Reactions: KennethC

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We are doing our Family Christmas trip this year to Baja. We do not travel in BIG groups, but if we meet up along the way would joy seating and chatting with anyone.

our rig

A Christmas M 8.jpg

Reactions: 06tacodude

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Anyone going from the Bay Area? We are planning to leave on the 26th from San Jose.

Do we have a headcount?

Our first time driving thru Baja...

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

AL.WVSN great Point.
What you need for a trip into Baja:
Passport.You'll need it to get a permit.

Permit. You can get online or as you cross into to Mexico. If you don't get one you are illegal. You can get a 7 day permit is free, a longer permit for a about $25.00 US dollars. YOU MUST STOP AND GET IT STAMPED, IT ISN'T VALID WITHOUT A STAMP! there is a immigration office when you cross. Check the hours for your crossing.

Insurance. Mexican Ins. is required for all vehicles in Mexico, . Mexico will hold you until jail until you pay off any damages. Get Mexican Ins. and they will cover you if there is a accident. Baja Bound is what most people I know use. I you are going for longer than 2 weeks, get a annual contract the price is the same
Easiest Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services Good info on their page too.

Pesos. Most places will take US Dollars,nthe exchange rate you get will be less than at you bank. You can use ATM's in baja they are in major towns. Your US bank will exchange them too, you might have to order them. Exchange at the border, there are cambinos that will exchange them for you. Many gas stations and business will take credit cards, MANY WILL NOT! The farther you get away from towns the less likely they'll take cards. Often if you pay in dollars your change will be in pesos.

A positive/chill attitude: You are not in USA, things are not same. Somethings just take more time. Ask and be polite and you'll get by it.
If you get pulled over do not pay the cop! Say you'll go see the judge or just write the ticket and you'll pay it. Tecate is well know for it's cops any their shake downs. Just say no.

Last edited:

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

AL.WVSN great Point.
What you need for a trip into Baja:
Passport.You'll need it to get a permit.
Permit. You can get online or as you cross into to Mexico. If you don't get one you are illegal. You can get a 7 day permit is free a longer permit for a
I edited my post since I saw Ken have posted something similar up a few posts.

I've been following this group on facebook called "BAJA TALK" and lots of American gets taxed by Mexican police if you aint got the right stuff. Basically, if you got the stuff, you can either pay the "police taxed" or put your foot down and hope for the best LOL.

Usually it works when you tell them "Ill go to the police station and pay the fee". I remember two of my buddies got held for an hour and finally paid the police $20 bucks LOL

Reactions: MMc

WeOverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
G
Member #

I am planning a return trip January sounds good I have traveled 6mos in Mexico mostly solo and had zero issues with police or anyone for that matter. Stay away from touristy spots and never travel at night. I have blogged about my travels WeOverlander.blogspot.com I am currently posting about my trip through Barranca Del Cobre, Copper Canyon my sugestion is the further south the more "safe" for most to travel. I'd be willing to tag a long. Whats the game plan?? pic 4wd-ing south of Bahia de los Angeles
IMG_20190307_151413.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I edited my post since I saw Ken have posted something similar up a few posts.

I've been following this group on facebook called "BAJA TALK" and lots of American gets taxed by Mexican police if you aint got the right stuff. Basically, if you got the stuff, you can either pay the "police taxed" or put your foot down and hope for the best LOL.

Usually it works when you tell them "Ill go to the police station and pay the fee". I remember two of my buddies got held for an hour and finally paid the police $20 bucks LOL
I drive a Police lure in Baja, Ram 2500 4 door long bed 4X4, it has a long kayak, surfboards, fishing rods on the overhead rack. I have seen cops run across the street and whip a U turn to pull me over. I have not paid anything in 25 years. I'll wait them out and point out if I pay them I'll breaking law and they could go to jail too. In the border area tickets can be paid via the mail or go to the station to pay, demand to do that instead of paying the cop. Last time I paid, I was driving back to my place and had more then a couple of cocktails. Stupid, I know.

I am a active member on Nomads, less and less these days. Check out TALK BAJA or RIDE BAJA on facebook, much better IMHO.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Anyone going from the Bay Area? We are planning to leave on the 26th from San Jose.

Do we have a headcount?

Our first time driving thru Baja...
I'm watching this thread very closely. Trying to convince my wife(3mnth pregnant) that she will be ok as long as we take our time and keep it a stress free road trip. We will be traveling with our 6yo boy and 1yo girl as well.
Funny I just posted on another thread .. Baja - San Felipe Advise
I used to travel to Mexicali for work and was always told about San Felipe and visiting the Canyon de Guadalupe hot springs .

I'm also thinking leaving San Jose Bay Area on 12/25 to head down to SD to visit grandparents for a day. Then 12/26 either Anza Borrego or SD Safari Zoo for the kids. Then 12/27 San Felipe. From there we play by ear with enough time to hit the Canyon de Guadalupe hot springs, head home via Tecate border crossing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AL.WVSN

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

06tacodude, If you have the time, go to San Luis Gonzaga. Camp at Papa Fernandez or Rancho Grande , ( Palapas)or stay at Alfonsinas (hotel). The beaches between S F and SLG are very cool too, plenty of camps also.
SF is OK and a nice way to start on Mexion. It is just another tourist town.
I know folks that love it, I prefer a bit more Mexican the SF.
If there is a Santa Ana wind blowing it will be blowing hard in SF, check before you go.

Last edited:

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
I will throw this out there for discussion.
12/27 meet in San Felipe. I will offer that everyone involved can stay at my wife’s camp north of town. The only fee would be for the water. The camp has cabanas and flush toilets. https://m.facebook.com/ValerieCantu.H/
12/28 one more night in San Felipe. There is fishing to do or explore he surrounding area.
12/29. Head for Bahia de Los Angeles, stoping at Puertecitos and Gonzaga along the way.
12/30 another day in LA Bay. I could spend a week there easy.
12/31 Either head for Guerra Negro or San Fransicito bay. The road to San Fransicito bay is on the Baja 1000 race route and can be pretty rough. One can make a big loop and end up South East of Guerra Negro on Hwy 1. And then come through San Borja on the way back or head up Hwy 1 to San Quintin or Ensanada and go back into the USA at Tecate. After wine tasting in Guadalupe Valley.
Just my thoughts and to get something on paper so we can discuss.
Ken
If the dates align might take that offer to stay at your wife’s camp.

WeOverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
G
Member #

Quick note if you are thinking of going you should each have a dash cam this is the best way to keep any unforeseen shake downs nipped in the bud . just let them know they are on camera and will show it at the police station them trying to get money from you trust me they will think twice about it... Smile your on Candid Camera!!

Attachments

Reactions: 06tacodude
D

Deleted member 37338

I will throw this out there for discussion.
12/27 meet in San Felipe. I will offer that everyone involved can stay at my wife’s camp north of town. The only fee would be for the water. The camp has cabanas and flush toilets. https://m.facebook.com/ValerieCantu.H/
12/28 one more night in San Felipe. There is fishing to do or explore he surrounding area.
12/29. Head for Bahia de Los Angeles, stoping at Puertecitos and Gonzaga along the way.
12/30 another day in LA Bay. I could spend a week there easy.
12/31 Either head for Guerra Negro or San Fransicito bay. The road to San Fransicito bay is on the Baja 1000 race route and can be pretty rough. One can make a big loop and end up South East of Guerra Negro on Hwy 1. And then come through San Borja on the way back or head up Hwy 1 to San Quintin or Ensanada and go back into the USA at Tecate. After wine tasting in Guadalupe Valley.
Just my thoughts and to get something on paper so we can discuss.
Ken
What is your wife campground be there next week, not looking for freebies I will pay my share just to feel more familiar. Thanks

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Hi everyone, we have (2) rigs traveling from NorCal to San Felipe on Dec. 21st and making our way down to Bahia de Concepcion before heading back up and returning to Norcal around Jan. 4th. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and maybe we can meetup somewhere!

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Right now it looks like we will arrive San Felipe either 12/27 or 12/28. Not sure yet about the rest of the trip. We just need to head back to NorCal on 2/3.
Not sure what it’s like for NYE over there.
Will check back in here as the dates finalize.

Reactions: Daniel Shupp