Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Alright really closing in on the trip plans. My family plans to leave Bay Area on 12/26, be in Borrego Springs on 12/27, and crossing into Mexico and arriving San Felipe on 12/28. Leaving Mexico on 1/2.
Anything to expect for NYE? Can we purchase fireworks and light up the beach?

Comms:
GMRS(WRDS475) I'm usually on 20-4;
HAM(KN6GLP) I'll tune into 146.460 on my HT.

Reactions: Joseph Mongillo

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Hi guys, just an update. I am in Palm desert with another rig. We are leaving for San Felipe in an hour. If anybody needs anything or wants to grab a beer here is our updated schedule.

22nd: San Felipe
23rd: BDLA
24th: Las Animas
25th: San Fransquito
26th: San Ignacio
27-29: Concepcion
30th: Guerro Negro
31st-1st: Punta Final
2nd: San Felipe
3rd: Home

I hope everyone has an amazing trip, make sure you enjoy it!!

Danny

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hi guys, just an update. I am in Palm desert with another rig. We are leaving for San Felipe in an hour. If anybody needs anything or wants to grab a beer here is our updated schedule.

Danny

Danny
I hope you have a great time!!!
Happy Tacos and Holidays!

Reactions: Daniel Shupp

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
And just when I say I wouldn't count on there being much rain, it looks like it will be raining in San Felipe on Thursday & Friday :grimacing:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Alright really closing in on the trip plans. My family plans to leave Bay Area on 12/26, be in Borrego Springs on 12/27, and crossing into Mexico and arriving San Felipe on 12/28. Leaving Mexico on 1/2.
Anything to expect for NYE? Can we purchase fireworks and light up the beach?

Comms:
GMRS(WRDS475) I'm usually on 20-4;
HAM(KN6GLP) I'll tune into 146.460 on my HT.
I forgot to look to see if it's still there when we came through, but there is usually a fireworks place just north of the "city limits" of San Felipe. It's on the left as you enter town and is a big orange portable trailer/building just off the main highway. They sell everything from sparklers to nukes!!! If they aren't there or aren't open, a handful of the shops along the Malecon in town sell some stuff. However, it's usually hidden in a back room and you have to ask the proprietor because they can't technically/legally be selling them or advertising that they sell them. One caution, especially with kids, regardless of where you buy your fireworks in Baja, it seems like most of this stuff is a bit suspect as far as quality & reliability. And, you RELLY gotta be cautious with the fuses. We've seen it all and are lucky no ones been seriously hurt.

We'll be in camp on the 28th & will have the radios and phone turned on, if you need anything. We even have internet access. So far anyway...The weather is a bit chilly at night, but very comfortable during the day. So far anyway...

Have a great trip,
Glen

Reactions: 06tacodude

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Ok, I'm learning all kinds of cool stuff... RolandoM stopped by our place today on his way to Puerticitos and gave me a little insight into the HAM radio & how it works. 06tacodude sent me some additional info. We tested it and it looks like it works :laughing: Channel 156.475 on the HAM radio is the same as Channel 69 on the VHF radios we use in Baja. Since we have an antenna on our roof for the VHF, our range will be much greater than we would get with the handheld HAM radio. Soooo, if you need to get in touch, please do so via channel 156.476.

Safe travels everyone...

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Ok, I'm learning all kinds of cool stuff... RolandoM stopped by our place today on his way to Puerticitos and gave me a little insight into the HAM radio & how it works. 06tacodude sent me some additional info. We tested it and it looks like it works :laughing: Channel 156.475 on the HAM radio is the same as Channel 69 on the VHF radios we use in Baja. Since we have an antenna on our roof for the VHF, our range will be much greater than we would get with the handheld HAM radio. Soooo, if you need to get in touch, please do so via channel 156.476.

Safe travels everyone...
We are still scheduled to arrive in San Felipe the afternoon of 12/28. Rig is all packed and loaded. Heading out to Berrego Springs 12/26.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
I forgot to look to see if it's still there when we came through, but there is usually a fireworks place just north of the "city limits" of San Felipe. It's on the left as you enter town and is a big orange portable trailer/building just off the main highway. They sell everything from sparklers to nukes!!! If they aren't there or aren't open, a handful of the shops along the Malecon in town sell some stuff. However, it's usually hidden in a back room and you have to ask the proprietor because they can't technically/legally be selling them or advertising that they sell them. One caution, especially with kids, regardless of where you buy your fireworks in Baja, it seems like most of this stuff is a bit suspect as far as quality & reliability. And, you RELLY gotta be cautious with the fuses. We've seen it all and are lucky no ones been seriously hurt.

We'll be in camp on the 28th & will have the radios and phone turned on, if you need anything. We even have internet access. So far anyway...The weather is a bit chilly at night, but very comfortable during the day. So far anyway...

Have a great trip,
Glen
Yeah it's raining and wet tomorrow as we start driving South tomorrow. There's a counter clockwise weather front on the Pacific that's why the temps dropped. Hoping that it clears up soon. I got your info.

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Did you just drive up ... their website says reservation is a must two 2 weeks in advance. We are arriving into San Felipe 12/28 ... haven't finalize our camp location yet.
Yeah, it's good to call them but winter time just drive up and head to the office! I'm sure there is plenty of room!

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
I am still planing on leaving tomorrow the 27th for San Felipe. If anybody is planing to stay at Cantu’s Cove let me know. Safe travels everybody.
Ken

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Did you to make Reservations for the hot springs before heading out there?
I called to see if I could make reservations and they wouldnt do it because it was within the 7 day period. But he said there would be some spots because it was a sunday so we chanced it and got a nice one !

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

I'm in Guerro Negro and I just picked up on a clunking noise coming from the driver side suspension. Is anybody familiar with the area to recommend a mechanic?