Let's see those full size rigs - Trucks & SUV

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

nothing fancy, 2000 GMC z71 extended cab, stock 5.3 Liter, performance built 4L60E transmission, 3:73 rear end ratio, stock suspension w\ Bilstein Stocks, Warn Trans4mer Brush Guard Winch mount, Badlands 12,000lb winch w\ Master Pull Classic 7\16"x75ft synthetic rope, Factor 55 Fairlead, 265x75Rx16 Cooper Discovery AT's
50875393_2032095600172637_8882813286702120960_n.jpg 51068898_2030727953642735_4395378069397831680_n.jpg51482017_2043118645736999_7684894968808210432_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
My '06 F-250

This isn't my "dedicated" overlanding rig, but it serves that purpose frequently enough. It's the do-all rig in my stable, and is quite functional in most arenas. The fact that it's far more comfortable than my Jeep allows it to challenge it for superiority :wink:

It seems like there's a transition coming to where I use this as my main travel rig, and relegate the Jeep to trail use after being towed to the trail. I've already started looking into truck camper options for boondocking.

Yup, my wife thinks I'm nuts :smile:

Chingon Granpa

Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Are narrow trails a problem with the Jimmy?

The Rover looks like it will drag its tail coming out of washes and such. Are there many of those situations where you regularly go?

Personally, I would stick with the Jimmy. Those things are going classic, and you can get parts for them most anywhere. Not so for the Rover.
Thanks for reaponding. Narrow trails not an issue..i usually stick to fire roads not very aggressive. You're right on all points about the jimmy. Ive always been interested in the lwd rover classic. I drove it today, amd it has much more power than the jimmy and feels much more nimble if that makes sense..im torn...

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited. I off-road near the Canadian border at International Falls in MN. She handles the deep mud no problem.

Here is a video of a typical trail after some rain. I'm exploring with a friend driving a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition.

Where in the falls do you go??

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Thanks for reaponding. Narrow trails not an issue..i usually stick to fire roads not very aggressive. You're right on all points about the jimmy. Ive always been interested in the lwd rover classic. I drove it today, amd it has much more power than the jimmy and feels much more nimble if that makes sense..im torn...
More power is readily available for the Jimmy.

New heads and a cam will wake that thing right up.

As to "nimble" I am not sure what you mean, but my '73 K20 Suburban got around pretty well.

In 20 years that Jimmy will be even more of a classic, and odds are the Rover will have met the crusher because there will be some system that needs parts that can no longer be obtained.

Chingon Granpa

Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

As to "nimble" I am not sure what you mean, but my '73 K20 Suburban got around pretty well.

In 20 years that Jimmy will be even more of a classic, and odds are the Rover will have met the crusher because there will be some system that needs parts that can no longer be obtained.
Good morning, absolutely right on every point. Ive been trying to compare the two, but its definitely appels and oranges. I appreciate the help...

Chingon Granpa

Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Whelp, i pulled the trigger. After thinking about it and regretting at first..i did the trade. I just could sort the front end issues i.e. sterring..it wandered all over the place. After welding g frame, 2 new steering boxs, stabalizer, all new bushings several trips to alignment shop, and still wandered. It was work and exhausting on long road trips. Also, after all the dound deading material throughout the truck, still could quiet up the truck. Here the kicker. I told the new owner about the sterring and othe minor issues. Guy took the truck out and ended up rolling it into a ditch off the freeway...they very next day of the trade. Hes fine...truck not so.
As for the Range Rover county lwb, i did about 250 miles this weekend about 30miles on dirt...must say, so far very happy quiet, smooth, quick, very capable..yes, it has its share of electrical issues. Power mirrors, drivers power seat intermittently, heated front windshield, heated seats..all not working, but dont care..windows, wipers, lights, a/c and heat, guages all good. Very impressed with off road capabilities..
Again, thanks for your input, i truly appreciate it.
20190202_110441.jpeg20190130_132904.jpeg

Reactions: Droff85 and Jimmy P

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well this followed me home the other day. It’s more than full sized. I would say super sized.

Depending on how it comes together it might make a descent rig with a shelter on the back.

View attachment 86016
Apparently those things are absolute beasts off road. You could turn that into the ultimate overlanding machine. Awesome pick!

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Stonecutter, Nice rig. I likey the solar panels. Please tell me more on if they work good. Plan on adding those to the top of my rig too. They look like the thin flexing ones that you tape down. I'm not into to roof tents. I've parked next to some on windy nights and they kept me up by the flapping in the wind. The tent would've caved in with the snow that piled up on the truck roof. I was up at Yosemite waiting for that snow storm when it came and piled on the snow. It was nice and I was warm in my camper. Nice set up in the truck bed.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

91B/91S, I had the bumper made for my truck by a welding shop. I told him what I wanted and he made it. It ran just a little over 1k and it works good. I'll be added a fold down table so when I swing it out with the tail gate down this fold down table will continue like a wrap around counter for cooking and food prep. Now will soon be working on the front with a winch.

Reactions: 91B/91S

Stonecutter

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Prescott, AZ, USA
Member #

Stonecutter, Nice rig. I likey the solar panels. Please tell me more on if they work good. Plan on adding those to the top of my rig too. They look like the thin flexing ones that you tape down. I'm not into to roof tents. I've parked next to some on windy nights and they kept me up by the flapping in the wind. The tent would've caved in with the snow that piled up on the truck roof. I was up at Yosemite waiting for that snow storm when it came and piled on the snow. It was nice and I was warm in my camper. Nice set up in the truck bed.
They are from Go Power electric. https://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-100-watt-expansion/

You are correct they are the thin flexible ones. They are 100 watts each for 300 watts total. So far they have worked great, the most I’ve seen them put out is 13+ amps collectivly as far as I can remember. But like you, I am curious to see how they perform over the long term, so far after about 10 months they are still doing great. But the fact that they are basically glued to the roof is a bit of a commitment. I’m sure that I could remove them if need be (Martyn from AT said it’s doable) but as of now, there is no need. They are hooked up to Go Power’s 30 amp solar controller. I also have a foldable 60 watt solar panel from Aspect (left over from my last build) that I can plug into the controller through the Habitat wall for those rare times when my Habitat is open during the day and the flexible ones aren’t getting any sun. I went with the flexible ones because I didn’t want to add anymore bulk to the lid and I didn’t want the panels to get in the way of the roof rack. So far I am happy with that decision.

I hear what you are saying about the RTT tent noise in the wind. It can certainly be annoying. I’m sure that some tents are worse than others. The Habitat is way, more quiet in the wind than my old Flippac. But not nearly as quiet as a hard shell camper obviously. I haven’t had it in the snow yet, but I plan on it and I’ll have to see how it fairs with the snow loading. The good news is that I primarily camp in the Southwest so I can usually get away with it. -Cheers