Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
Thanks! When I ordered the cap (Leer XL100) I got the package where the long tracks for the Thule roof racks are bolted through the roof, and help distribute the weight. I know they have a pretty low weight rating, but after talking with others who have done it, and figuring in a safety factor of 3 on the weight limit, I decided to try the set up this way. Two years of sleeping four (2 adults, 2 young teens) there have been no issues or concerns. I see some add a third crossbar to spread the weight a little more, but so far my setup is working well.
I have a long way to go before I get there. I like the set up you have. Is there anyway you can share some pics of the mount points on the top side and inside?

saltybones

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a long way to go before I get there. I like the set up you have. Is there anyway you can share some pics of the mount points on the top side and inside?
Sure. There are four anchor points on top, two per track, that the cross bar ‘feet’ fasten to. I took one of the plastic covers off so you could see, and each track is fastened with 9 bolts through the cap roof. There is a gear net that attaches to the bolts on the inside roof of the cap. I have everything removed for the winter. I hope you can make out the pictures.

saltybones

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sure. There are four anchor points on top, two per track, that the cross bar ‘feet’ fasten to. I took one of the plastic covers off so you could see, and each track is fastened with 9 bolts through the cap roof. There is a gear net that attaches to the bolts on the inside roof of the cap. I have everything removed for the winter. I hope you can make out the pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: Francis84

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
@aaaslayer , that is a whole lotta Truck. Nice.
What year is it? 2500? Tire size?
I want to build a 65 Dodge W300

2015 Ram 2500 Cummins on 35x12.5R17

It's a big ass truck indeed, sometimes a pain in the ass to get around trails. I'm limited as to where I can take this ride. I have a Rubicon for smaller trails. I usually take my Rubicon to a trail I've never been on first, then I'll revisit that trail in the Ram down the road if I know my truck will be able to get through the trail without getting stuck or falling off some narrow cliff.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Here's an update. I added 2 x 2 gallon diesel rotopax cans, and 2 x 2 gallon water rotopax cans. I will be adding a rotopax first aid kit and need to get some quick fists for a shovel and axe I have. Also the Leitner mount for the hi lift jack, and that about does it.

View attachment 88990
How do you like your Leitner System?
I’m thinking of getting one for my Jeep Gladiator..

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

I have the system on my 16 f 250 and love it. Very easy to organize stuff and the fact you can slide the upper bars to the front to allow larger items in the bed is a plus. It’s definitely worth the money.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I have the system on my 16 f 250 and love it. Very easy to organize stuff and the fact you can slide the upper bars to the front to allow larger items in the bed is a plus. It’s definitely worth the money.
Thanks Joe!
Everyone who has one loves it. I’m thinking of getting a Decked System as well..

Hey I just noticed we have the same rank and badge level...cool.

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA

I love my setup. Only thing I do miss is having an empty bed so I can go fast in the desert. With the rack on, a huge tent on top, you can't really go fast anymore but that's not the rack's fault at all, that's just the trade off. With a huge rack in the back, you can't be hauling ass in the desert or doing donuts in the dry lake bed. Things I used to enjoy doing.