Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

I carry everyday unless I am at work where I am not allowed. My wife is getting her permit this year and will do the same. Before every trip we look at different reciprocity maps and call the state police just for confirmation. This allows us to be sure we can legally carry in those states. I carry a Beretta 92A1 or a 92FS everyday. I also carry two pocket knives and when camping I usually have a fixed blade knife as well. Really haven't been anywhere that I have felt the need to bring my shotty or my AR yet. Though this does not mean I wouldn't hesitate to bring them if I thought I may need either one.

Reactions: NorthStar96

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I do have a handgun and carry when I'm on the ranch or out hunting. I don't worry too much about people. It's the hogs you have to watch out for. Those things are bat s*** crazy. It is way to easy to get your CHL here in Texas. I had one guy who had never fired a gun before pass. He barely scored over 50% at 6 feet. I'm for guns, but I don't want to be anywhere near that guy when he tries to be a hero.
Yep

Its 50 50 chance... hogs will turn and tun... or turn and charge.

I will spook em, if they charge I shoot. If they run hey, win win I don't have to clean that nasty thing for the meat because I don't like waste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ive been charged twice. I hope to never be charged again. But that's just something that happens when you are trying to eradicate a hog population from land they think is theirs.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

A good friend recently bought a Brand new Vepr. Its chambered 7.62x54r. He asked me if I wanted to go to the range soon with him to sight it in and plink with my weapons too. weather permitting, we gonna go out and decimate paper plates at 700 yds. I cant wait to fire the beast from the East.....

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Im familiar with the Mosins but i dont know much about his Vepr. He paid around $800 and im sure he will get good with it. He has 3 mosins already and evidently wanted something with a little more punch.

Jordan

Rank 0

Contributor I

A good friend recently bought a Brand new Vepr. Its chambered 7.62x54r. He asked me if I wanted to go to the range soon with him to sight it in and plink with my weapons too. weather permitting, we gonna go out and decimate paper plates at 700 yds. I cant wait to fire the beast from the East.....
I use to own a Vepr rifle, it had an AK style stock to it, semi-auto, chrome lined barrel. It was expensive ($1200) but was also hands down my favorite gun ive ever fired, easy to clean and very accurate. The 54r will always be dear to my heart, especially when i can fire it in rapid succession

As for what i take on trips, I have a Charter Arms Undercover .38 special snub nose. I keep Hornaday hollow points in it. Its not a carry gun, just one to keep around because some of the places people like us go, youre never really certain whats around you. Could be nobody out there, could be a meth lab or some one on meth

k9lestat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Statesboro,Ga.
Member #

Thought I'd throw this out there. Couple years ago I bought a new glock 9mm and a couple of the xlarge cap mags. I saw what I thought was an AR with glock mag stuck in it. Turns out to be a "just-right" carbine.

They come setup for 9mm 40cal and 45cal. They make them as to use glock mags. I have heard the 45 version has 1911 mag option.

Yes it's not a real rifle, but a 9mm out of 16 inch is just under 357 mag as far as foot pounds of energy.

You stream line you kit by using same mags for rifle and pistol.

Drop for the 9mm out of this length barrel is something like 2.8 inhes at 100 yards and zipping along at around 1000 fps, muzzle speeds said to be 1300 or a little higher depending on the round.

I shot mine some today and ran across this thread when I got home. I gotta say I like the weapon. Fun gun to shoot too.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The problem is that you need to fold it out, and I don't think I want to be trying to assemble my sidearm in a life-or-death/seconds-matter situation.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm a huge 1911 fan, but I don't like it for carry. These days I carry a Ruger LC9S IWB at 5 o'clock. For a mid-size pistol I use a CZ-75 P-07 Duty 9mm and for a full size (when my wife lets me have it back) I use an FNP 45 (because if 16 rounds of .45 ACP hollow point don't solve the problem, not much will).

The Ruger is the only one I carry on my person, the other two are more vehicle-carry. Although I will probably be getting an OWB holster for the CZ at some point.

I used to carry a Springfield 1911 Microcompact, but I just found it to be too heavy to carry comfortably and I didn't like having to carry it either loaded and cocked safety-on, or decocked and safety-off. For a defensive gun, I want something that is point-and-click simple. Glock would be another option, but I just can't get used to the raked grip angle, that's why I went with the CZ. The CZ, by the way, is a robust defensive sidarm, but it has one of the smoothest double-single triggers I've ever shot. Even with the heavier double-action pull, it is fantastically smooth with a crisp break. Shooting it single-action is really a treat after shooting my brother's H&K. How H&K manage to make such a garbage trigger in an $1,100 gun is beyond my comprehension when CZ manages to make something so much better in the $700 range.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1911s. I have two Colts from the 60s that are absolute nail-drivers with tons of custom work by Clark down in Louisiana. Technology and design has come a long way in the last 100 years, and for defensive purposes, I prefer some of the features on a newer gun. When I go to the range, however, the 1911 comes out of the safe and is an absolute joy to shoot.

Reactions: Meta6981