Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pippinized

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.
I suggest always having an efficient way to defend yourself from possible harm, not matter the origin of the harm. That being said, never use a cannon to kill a fly.

I fully admit to being a Glock fanboy, and bring a 26 (Subcompact 9mm). I also bring a Mossberg 930 and my home build AR. Anyone could consider that to be a well rounded selection or overkill. The main land I have gone to lately has an open firing range, and I get a little practice in every time I go.
I may soon dig back into my gunsmithing hobby and build a rifle specifically for traveling outdoors.

TreyJK

Rank III

Advocate II

Tulsa, OK
I suggest always having an efficient way to defend yourself from possible harm, not matter the origin of the harm. That being said, never use a cannon to kill a fly.

I fully admit to being a Glock fanboy, and bring a 26 (Subcompact 9mm). I also bring a Mossberg 930 and my home build AR. Anyone could consider that to be a well rounded selection or overkill. The main land I have gone to lately has an open firing range, and I get a little practice in every time I go.
I may soon dig back into my gunsmithing hobby and build a rifle specifically for traveling outdoors.
Just out of curiosity, what would that rifle built specifically for outdoor traveling look like? I'm thinking about building my first AR soon.

Pippinized

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Just out of curiosity, what would that rifle built specifically for outdoor traveling look like? I'm thinking about building my first AR soon.
I'm considering an AK-74 side folder for the truck build. A mounted flashlight on the front grip is a wise thought. A should sling as well, but nothing too fancy. The likelyhood of having a rifle out for a long duration is slim to none.

I encourage building AR building. It promotes better knowledge of the firearms operation and abilities. I'm no expert, but I have built a few ARs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: TreyJK

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Just out of curiosity, what would that rifle built specifically for outdoor traveling look like?
For me , a .223/5.63 that's appropriate for travel would be the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Same cartridge and ballistics as an AR clone, easier to operate (not fussy if not kept clean), and most importantly in some locals, it looks just like grandpa's rifle, and not one of those rifles that people like to point out as evil. Not judging, I just prefer to be less visible when packing.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
SBR in .300 Blackout with a can is the route I am looking for a do-it-all travel weapon. Enough to take down something large. In that configuration it will still have decent range and work for close stuff. With the stamp and can I can keep it subsonic and not draw attention.

Reactions: NorthStar96

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
True. Brace would be a better option, but I still mentally think of them as sbr for some reason. Still a dream build right now. I just started playing with .300B as a mid-range hunter rifle but am liking what i see more and more and shooting a full-auto silenced one has me pretty hooked.

Klunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sparks, Nevada
Member #

I am law enforcement so I carry everywhere. My daily pistol is a S&W J frame 357 magnum. The 357 will handle pretty much any predator roaming on two or four legs. I have a Springfield scout rifle in .22 lr / 410 bird shot that's usually in my rig for survival needs.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I am law enforcement so I carry everywhere. My daily pistol is a S&W J frame 357 magnum. The 357 will handle pretty much any predator roaming on two or four legs. I have a Springfield scout rifle in .22 lr / 410 bird shot that's usually in my rig for survival needs.
Is that your carry for work too? I didn't think any departments allowed revolvers anymore.

I have a S&W .38 revolver, also a J-series if I recall. That is my sweetheart when I'm at the range and it's an absolute nail-driver.

Klunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sparks, Nevada
Member #

Trexterra, when in uniform I carry it as my second. I carry a Glock 21 as my primary duty side arm. Off duty I carry the J frame about 90% of the time. If I don't have the J frame on me I usually carry my Glock 30.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Personally never leave home without my sidearm, God bless Arizona. In the sticks I always have my 30.06 and 12 ga. in my rig. I don't see it as overkill, but it puts my boy scout need for always being prepared at ease.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm an XD guy and am never in the woods/camping without it. Traveling with it is an issue since Pennsyltucky is nearly surrounded by states that don't honor my CCW. I've never felt tempted to bring a long gun along as well but given the situation I wouldn't be opposed to it.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I'm an XD guy and am never in the woods/camping without it. Traveling with it is an issue since Pennsyltucky is nearly surrounded by states that don't honor my CCW. I've never felt tempted to bring a long gun along as well but given the situation I wouldn't be opposed to it.
XD's are great! Carry one as my CCW primary!

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
For me , a .223/5.63 that's appropriate for travel would be the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Same cartridge and ballistics as an AR clone, easier to operate (not fussy if not kept clean), and most importantly in some locals, it looks just like grandpa's rifle, and not one of those rifles that people like to point out as evil. Not judging, I just prefer to be less visible when packing.
For my money, a tactical shotgun is by far the best defensive (and intimidation) weapon there is. That being said, I believe in keeping a smaller framed pistol handy (Sig 229 right now), and I have trusted my life to the AR chassis several times now.

Steve I have never found it to be "fussy", in fact the last time I went to the stan I specifically didn't clean my rifle for four weeks of training prior to departing just to baseline her performance when dirty and not even a single problem. No misfeeds, no double chambers, no failures to seat. Some of that has to do with the magazines you use for sure, but I am a true believer in the AR.

Reactions: Steve

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have a PWS full-piston upper on my AR and it shoots so much cleaner than a gas-impingement system. If anyone is going to be out shooting for a long period of time without cleaning their rifle, I think a piston system is certainly the way to go. I was a fan of my Saiga AK and had no interest in the AR until I learned that piston uppers were actually a thing. Breaking down my AR next to a gas-impingement AR after a day of shooting is like night and day. I can have mine cleaned and back together before the other rifle's lower is even clean.

Reactions: RiverCityDave