Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

I always carry with me (so long as its legal to do so). I at least have my 2 pistols with extra ammo, and as soon as i can figure out a safe mount for my rifle, i will be bringing that with me too.

here around texas its legal to have rifles in the open, but handguns have to be concealed in the vehicle. When i head out to oklahoma or arkansas, i feel its easier to open carry. Its more comfortable and provides easier access if the need is there

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

.22 for plinking at camp great way to introduce (kids/new/none) shooters to the sport too...
Everyone I go with has at least this with them and a little friendly target competition makes for some fun times as well....

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Every day carry. Doesn't matter if I'm overlanding or not.

http://talesofadventures.net/every-day-carry/
---
Quite a few people carry a pistol with them when they travel, very few people train enough to be effective or even have a plan for what they are going to do when they encounter a situation in which they have it in their hand and everything has gone a little sideways. Some people have a mystical belief that their pistol round will stop a charging bear. This story is about some people, but on the other side of tactical end of every day carry.

My love of Big Bend National Park transcends through my online posts and is embedded firmly in the plot of my book series. In the park is Boquillas Canyon, which is one of the short scenic hikes, a favorite of canoe expeditions as well. The parking lot has signs warning of frequent vehicle burglaries and directly across the river in Mexico lies the tiny town of Boquillas, aptly named. Through out the lower river region of Big Bend National Park often people find little piles of touristy wares with a cardboard sign listing prices and a collection can, every single sign says "Please Help The Children of Boquillas." The census is vague as to the last year that an actual child was in Boquillas, but there are accounts of one accidentally meandering into town after a soda and candy binge in late 1974. Needless to say the Park Rangers have made it quite clear that it is illegal to purchase the items, but yet here the items lay.
With another family, this trip was without children, theirs away at camp and our only (at the time) at Grandma Camp and too young to enjoy the outdoors at the time, we set out up the trail over the small hill and into the edge of the canyon. As we walked down there were three men standing on our side of the river, a fourth sitting on a large rock across the river on the Mexico side, all four of which you couldn't see until you had fully descended the trail into the front of the canyon.. The man on the rock called out "you should buy some things from my friends."

Walking in the lead, my friend stopped and our wives stood between us. I called back "no we will not."

The man on the rock replied "you don't understand, you will buy something!"

The other husband and I have many things in common, one reason why our friendship is measured in decades. Two of those things include photography and the desire to provide our own means of protection. My adapted camera bag at the time was a Maxpedition sling with lens cases hanging off of it for practical, tactical reasons.

The three Mexican nationals spread out and blocked the way we came, trapping us against the canyon and began approaching our group.

I peeled the front of the bag open which showed my Peace Officer's badge as my right hand grasp the hard grips of my 1911. My friend's left hand had pulled his shirt against his chest and he was drawing his small framed Glock, legally carried in the park with a Texas CHL.

The desire to forcibly relieve us of our money and valuables "for the children of Boquillas" quickly left the three men, as they too quickly turned and ran to the small canoe they used to cross the narrow river. I lifted my camera and took some photos of the man on the rock with the intention on showing the Ranger with our report. We finished our hike, which only took another twenty minutes as the trail is more of a short pathway than a "trail" of any normal means and our four new "friends" were no where to be seen.

Being near the Rio Grande Village, in the Big Bend sense of distance, we drove straight to the Ranger's station. Not only did the Ranger on duty not care, he wouldn't even come out of his office to take a report. He called through an open door "did they hurt anyone?"

They hadn't and that was where his willingness to care ended.

That trip was special for two reasons. Firstly it reaffirmed that no matter where you may be, people can be the biggest threat and secondly a few weeks later we found out we were pregnant with our daughter. This past fall we took our son and daughter to Big Bend for a week and their first visit and returned again a few months ago for another week. They have since fallen in love with camping, the outdoors, hiking and adventure, but like as all young children should feel, they aren't afraid because Daddy is with them.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Our Jeep is less than secure with it's soft top on. Bringing a shotgun along for the ride creates headaches for the storage of it at night or when away from the vehicle. I'm in Canada, our laws state that it has to be (ambiguously) 'safely stored'. Also, handguns are not permitted outside of your residence or an approved gun range, unless you are one of the very few fortunate enough to have received the rare-as-unicorn-teeth blessing of a permit.
A knife, sure - no problem. Bear spray, same thing. An axe or hatchet, yep - they're good to go. A big problem for us is if you are ever asked why you are carrying something. Self defense seems to be frowned on here, in general. As a tool, no problem. Confused??
A large flashlight or even a hockey stick, no one would cast a second glance! :grinning:

My only real bit of advice is to know the laws of the areas you are traveling. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Ryan_Blaire

Rank IV

Advocate II

I never leave home without my pistol camping or otherwise (Nevada CCW holder). On some trips I bring the .22 for the kids, others the shotgun and some clays. As long as we are staying in Nevada I know I am safe to carry just about whatever I want. If we are crossing into other states I will adjust accordingly.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Our Jeep is less than secure with it's soft top on. Bringing a shotgun along for the ride creates headaches for the storage of it at night or when away from the vehicle. I'm in Canada, our laws state that it has to be (ambiguously) 'safely stored'. Also, handguns are not permitted outside of your residence or an approved gun range, unless you are one of the very few fortunate enough to have received the rare-as-unicorn-teeth blessing of a permit.
A knife, sure - no problem. Bear spray, same thing. An axe or hatchet, yep - they're good to go. A big problem for us is if you are ever asked why you are carrying something. Self defense seems to be frowned on here, in general. As a tool, no problem. Confused??
A large flashlight or even a hockey stick, no one would cast a second glance! :grinning:

My only real bit of advice is to know the laws of the areas you are traveling. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
What @deeker said. This becomes really important when you are traveling through different countries. There is a zero tolerance in Mexico (Baja) for example.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm a CFP holder in my state and I am usually armed - partially due to the nature of my work.

When I'm in the back country I will usually have a pistol with me and either a rifle or a shotgun loaded with slugs or buckshot. I am often camping in ranges frequented by bear and moose along with the occasional cougar/mountain lion. In the deserts the coyotes usually leave you alone, but I've had some come right up to camp or the car. I'm not usually in wolf ranges, but if I start doing more northern adventures that will change, along with the chances of grizzly encounters (right now I'm mostly in black bear ranges).

Before I head off to another state, I am sure to check the laws of where I'm going and all the places in between to make sure I'm legal and to check reciprocity statutes for my permit.

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

I'm all for it but here in CA we got some strict rules.
not that strict as most people think. but it is very complicated and not always straight forward.

check out www.calguns.net for a wealth of knowledge.

Just remember one thing. It's not the cops job to know the law (sound stupid right) but its true. They just send you to the slammer and have the judge figure it out. The burden is on yourself to stay informed and educated at all times what current and potentiality new laws that will effect your rights and how, where, when you can use them. If you travel with guns in CA make sure you print out Calguns FLOW CHART and bring it in the gun bag. Sometimes I wish I wasn't in CA and lived in a free state.

CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart
CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart
CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart

Last edited:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I left the Valley (Granada Hills/Northridge) in '05 and vowed I'd never move back till they start using some common sense. I doubt that'll ever happen and that's very sad. I really think it's some of the most beautiful land in America.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
JUST FYI , first two posts cover the law for legally registered NON banned firearms in CA.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457
I love sport shooting/target. I do not hunt nor condemn anyone that does. I was afforded the opportunity to become quite familiar the care and use of firearms during my short time in the AF (HA HA 25yrs)
If it's an appropriate outing sure, if not it's not.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Depending on your state/country, you may not need a permit. Most places in the US don't require a permit to own a "long gun" (shotgun or rifle) or keep it cased in your car for transport. A few places put restrictions on hand guns and how you carry them. Depending on where you are, it is legal to open carry (not concealed) a handgun. In my sstate, I only need a permit to conceal a firearm, if I open carry or sling my rifle I'm within the law.