Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I live in Indiana and most states surrounding me reciprocate our carry licenses. So, i carry everywhere that is legal.. I even carry at work. This world is so crazy it is nuts to not have the means to defend yourself. I have taken numerous training courses and take pride in my trigger discipline. A huge responsibility often overlooked as a gun owner is proper training and practicing that training. I have only had to draw my weapon once in my life. A man attempted to rob me, with no visible weapon, but he threatened my life. So i drew my Glock 19 and held it pointed at his chest, finger off trigger but ready. That moment was an eye opener, this guy tried to rob me in broad daylight, 11am at the busiest gas station in town. The guy ran off and to my knowledge was never caught. I did file a police report since i drew my weapon. I did not want a bystander to report something and face issues when they say "Some one at the gas station drew a gun on a guy". So, be careful, carry, protect yourself and try to know when to draw a weapon and when not too. I probably could have handled the situation differently but, every one went home with their lives and i went home with my wallet still in my pocket.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

And another thing, never forget the awesomeness of a perfectly legal in 50 States Louisville Slugger.........
That depends. Until the castle doctrine change a few years ago, even in Texas it would have not been legal to carry a bat as a means to use for a club. Although perfectly legal to carry a bat for means to use as a bat. Pedantic yes, but an important distinction if you are stopped and asked about it. The cause being that a club was not legal to possess on or about your person and that there had been previous case law in which a bat was ruled an illegal club. In those cases, that I can recall, the bat was used in aggravated assaults and in turn ruled an illegal club; however, that laid the groundwork for bats to be ruled as a club.

Point being be careful. "May I search your car?" "No thank you." After a decade of active law enforcement I'll tell you that if I was going to search your car I had PC built, if I asked you then I was just playing the game leading up to you being placed in handcuffs. If I didn't ask you and you were going to be searched, then a couple more units would roll up and you'd be in handcuffs. If we ever have the chance to share a beer around a campfire I can tell you some funny stories along those lines, but that's for later.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That depends. Until the castle doctrine change a few years ago, even in Texas it would have not been legal to carry a bat as a means to use for a club. Although perfectly legal to carry a bat for means to use as a bat. Pedantic yes, but an important distinction if you are stopped and asked about it. The cause being that a club was not legal to possess on or about your person and that there had been previous case law in which a bat was ruled an illegal club. In those cases, that I can recall, the bat was used in aggravated assaults and in turn ruled an illegal club; however, that laid the groundwork for bats to be ruled as a club.

Point being be careful. "May I search your car?" "No thank you." After a decade of active law enforcement I'll tell you that if I was going to search your car I had PC built, if I asked you then I was just playing the game leading up to you being placed in handcuffs. If I didn't ask you and you were going to be searched, then a couple more units would roll up and you'd be in handcuffs. If we ever have the chance to share a beer around a campfire I can tell you some funny stories along those lines, but that's for later.
Keep a glove and a ball with it too, you play in the MLB right? lol.. Just tell them your on the bench a lot thats why they dont recognize you ;)

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Blue Sky single rack mounted in the roof of my 2011 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. Like many others here I "don't leave home without it." Although I don't always bring a long gun with me (on any extended trips I do) I do always have a legally concealed handgun (with proper permitting) and would never think of risking my rights by breaking the law.

Washington State laws may differ from yours (especially in CA) so it is important to know what the laws of your State are but I think the ability to defend oneself from predators (all kinds) is critical. This (firearm) is just considered, by me, to be one more piece of equipment like a MaxTrax, fire extinguisher, tent or sleeping pad and just like any other piece of equipment should be familiar with its deployment, use and maintenance.

Happy wheeling and stay safe out there!!

upload_2015-11-10_21-18-27.png

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

I daily carry. That being said I've never been in a situation yet that I've needed it. Since I have a washington permit it makes it very hard to get through to California while still carrying legally and honestly it's frustrating. However I always have a knife on my person, and have a combat knife and axe in my jeep.
My main reason for carrying is I'm military and especially right now we are a huge target, and I have 2 little ones to look out for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I daily carry. That being said I've never been in a situation yet that I've needed it. Since I have a washington permit it makes it very hard to get through to California while still carrying legally and honestly it's frustrating. However I always have a knife on my person, and have a combat knife and axe in my jeep.
My main reason for carrying is I'm military and especially right now we are a huge target, and I have 2 little ones to look out for.

Family First!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

This is a Topic just for you USA guys. Here in Europe it is absolutely not permitted to carry any kind of Gun, not for protection, not for Sport, except when you are a Hunter and then only in your designated area.
So carrying is a no go.
Do I have things with me for protection? Yes I do.

I have my brains, my mouth, my skills in talking and most of all, I know how to use all kind of things to defend myself.
Thing is, that when it really got sour, you are dead. See the things that happens in the USA almost on weekly basis, and the terrorist acts here in Europe. When you think you are safe, that is when it hits you.
So, I go out in the world and face people with a smile and respect.
And untill now, I never had in my private life any encounter that I couldnt handle.

Would I carry a gun if I was allowed? Not sure, And I just cant know it.

Do I carry outdoor equipment that can be used as a weapon. Yes, I have. A shovel, some chains for the highlift, the handle of the highlift, the tools in my toolbox, my folding knife, my walking stick.
A magazine, rolled up very tight is a perfect weapon. Mostly because nobody sees a piece of paper as something that can be dangerous.

I go out in this world and smile, but I never will sell my "sword".

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I second that Rob. I lived in Europe during the time when Americans were killed or kidnapped almost on a daily basis, Americans were the primary target for any and all terrorist groups no matter how large or small. If I didn't consider owning or carrying a weapon then, I see no reason to now. I am not about to play Chicken Sh_ _ because of people who can't deal with civilized life.

Rob did loosely hit on the most effective weapon, situational awareness.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I keep ready.

Im not that guy that carrys a firearm with me EVERYWHERE... but i keep ready for anyone feeling froggy.

Isnt my first rodeo, and im always willing to go for the next ride.

Edit: i never go looking for trouble, and i meet/greet with respect. I always try and help others when they need it too.

My favorite weapon is resoning... "why are we going to do this?" and "is it worth it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

With the amount if crazy heads that are in the us nowadays I'd rather have a gun and not need it then need it and not have it. I don't go looking for trouble, but if a situation arises I will do everything in my power to prevent it. And I also firmly believe in not everyone should have a gun. Especially those that just go out and buy it but have no formal training or anything. I'm military so i have an annual resertification in the use of firearms, plus I go to the local ranges and practice different "bad guy" situations.

Reactions: Drifterman

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

yes I do, we are in Alabama and there are some very backwoods places around Bankhead forest we love to visit. I feel it is my job to protect my family and i am prepared to do so. Just got this http://urbancarryholsters.com/holsters-40/original-urban-carry.html and can't brag on it enough.
Looks like a nicely made holster don't look very comfortable tho
But that's just cause I prefer to carry at 5 o'clock position

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

It is very comfortable, but keep in mind I am a carrying a Ruger LCP in it. It doesn't bother you driving or hiking is what I like, a larger frame gun might be a different story .

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I enjoy everyone's input I am glad someone finally brought a firearms topic into these forums!

California, is a wonderful place to live, visit, explore, and overland, with very, very powerful leaders. With that being said, it is those powerful leaders that make California seem to be a communist state. In my opinion, with all of the horrific events going on in our nation, California's leaders are very sufficient at responding quickly and getting a majority of the vote. A majority of the vote being anti-gun, which for lack of better terms, makes no sense at all.

Regarding carrying a firearm while overlanding, it depends on your county of issuance, that is in the great state of California. Here in Sacramento County, the Sheriff, Scott R. Jones, has made a significant improvement of arming his community. Which is nice because once your issued that nearly $500 laminated card, you possess the permission to carry anywhere in the state of California, including all of our overlanding.

Please like or comment!

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
sometimes i will just depends on where we are going but its rare it is pretty hard to own any kind of firearm here in Aus i have got a licence to own a couple of hunting rifles but the hoops you have to jump through to get it is insane and its extremely regulated and you can totally forget owning any kind handgun we cant even legally carry a pocket knife