Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I used to carry a 9mm with a 15 round clip when I went backpacking. I wasn't worried about other hikers, I was more concerned about the Bears and Mountain Lions. After a couple of years hiking with the gun, I decided just to leave it at home. Never ran into any Mountain Lions and I only seen a few beers and wild pigs running the other direction. Would I bring one on a Overland Trip? Most likely no.

Reactions: Drifterman

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Never go camping here in BC without my shotgun along for the trip. Will take more with me if we are heading out for some target shooting or pumpkin killing. My 12 gauge shotgun measures just over 30" so it's relatively easy to carry when hiking or out exploring too. I've been eyeing up a Ranch Hand as a lighter option for backcountry hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG383

Rank 0

Contributor II

Germany
I carry a gun or at least a knife whenever and wherever I am able to. Last fall I was stalked by a mountain lion when I was deer hunting which definitely made the hairs on my neck stand up! Thankfully it ran before I had to fire a shot at it. I have had several occasions where I was very thankful I was armed due to two legged animals.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

sometimes i will just depends on where we are going but its rare it is pretty hard to own any kind of firearm here in Aus i have got a licence to own a couple of hunting rifles but the hoops you have to jump through to get it is insane and its extremely regulated and you can totally forget owning any kind handgun we cant even legally carry a pocket knife
Damn... lol

Texas is the opposite. If you dont have a knife people look at you funny.

And a hand gun might as well be an ink pen... or your wallet... pocket stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Always a handgun or two with/on me.
Longer trips in very remote areas, often take the m4 as its quite compact.
Also depends on state reciprocity & gun laws where I'm traveling.

Or at least I used to till the boat sank with everything aboard that I owned....

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I do have a handgun and carry when I'm on the ranch or out hunting. I don't worry too much about people. It's the hogs you have to watch out for. Those things are bat s*** crazy. It is way to easy to get your CHL here in Texas. I had one guy who had never fired a gun before pass. He barely scored over 50% at 6 feet. I'm for guns, but I don't want to be anywhere near that guy when he tries to be a hero.