• HTML tutorial

Cajuncubsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mc, KinneyTX, USA
Member #

Haughton, LA

Did the rock crawling thing for a few years and really enjoyed it. Nowadays the wife and I are more interested in just trail rides and camping.
Check out our local Offroading club. We do rock crawling but we have a number of guys like me that link Overlanding, trail riding and camping. Arklatexoffroad.com and on Facebook.com/arklatexoffroad [emoji2] received_1630142463736556.jpeg20180317_185517.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Has anyone been to the Catahoula Off Road and Recreation park? Its in Sicily Island and from what I've seen its pretty decent. My fiance and I are very new to offroading so we don't know any good places for a weekend trip around here.

Also, we just moved into the Gonzales area, so maybe I'll bump into @ru108 and @blake716 around town

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@PicNick, I work in BR up by the airport, so if you're getting nowhere fast around here like the rest of us, then you might spot me. I work shifts, days for two weeks, nights for two weeks, lather, rinse and repeat with every other weekend off. My DD is a silver Tundra TRD with the OB badge on the left rear of the tailgate and a mag mount GMRS antenna on the roof. The 4R in my profile pic belongs to the better half. The OB badge is on the left side of the hatch. I drive it occasionally when I'm off, but she'll be in it more than likely unless we're going somewhere. It'll mostly be seen around Prairieville, St. Amant and Gonzales (likely at Wally World, lol) since she works from home.

As far as places to get out around here, we're just now starting to get back into wanting to get away and explore after moving back down from out west a few years ago. I haven't found much of anything trail wise in the immediate area unless you're into mud riding, which I've never been too keen on since it tends to break (expensive) stuff at the worst times. Both kids are adults now (one working and the other starting college in the fall) and I'm slowly working on a plan to start doing some weekend camping/exploring in Desoto and Homochitto on some of my off weekends with the wife and the dog. That might be something we can noodle around sometime if you're interested. Kisatchie is on the radar too, but Mississippi looks to have more options. Plus, I haven't been in the MS woods since I was a teenager, so it'll pretty much be all new to me.

Which reminds me, I was headed to work yesterday evening and saw a gray Jeep turning onto Airline southbound from Old Perkins (Jefferson side) by Winn Dixie with what looked like an OB badge on the left front quarter panel. Didn't get too good a look as my light to turn onto Old Perkins towards Highland went green. Anybody? Bueller?

Last edited:

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

@ru108 Oh cool! I'm back and forth between my office in Norco and Baton Rouge. I drive a red Jeep Grand Cherokee with kayak racks on top because I'm too lazy to take them off after I use them haha. I'm usually putting around Airline in Pville and Gonzales. I'm not too much into the mud riding either for the same reason.

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@PicNick, I hear you on the racks. I'm in the camp of "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it", so I guess I fall into the "lazy" category as well. I just consider it being prepared. Will definitely keep an eye out and honk or yell if I run across you in a traffic jam sometime.

Reactions: PicNick

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Since July 4th is coming up, does anyone have any plans for the following weekend? My buddy and I are thinking about heading to either Desoto NF or Kisatchie NF, assuming we can track down the coolant leak on his Exploder.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

West Monroe, La

Just found OB last night. Happy there is a southeast region. I have a ‘13 Jeep Wrangler. Make a lot of trips to catahoula recreation and play on the rocks and trails there but want to start hitting north Arkansas some more.
Welcome to OB! I've got some kin folk in West Monroe, I may have to hit you up when I'm in town. Does the Cat Rec guys allow camping overnight? I've dug and couldn't find anything on it

Sent from my toaster using OB Talk mobile app

Nick F

Rank I

Contributor III

Louisiana
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Ford
Service Branch
Army
Welcome to OB! I've got some kin folk in West Monroe, I may have to hit you up when I'm in town. Does the Cat Rec guys allow camping overnight? I've dug and couldn't find anything on it

Thanks! Camping is free at catahoula rec. just have to pay a gate fee then you can set up wherever you want. Electrical hookups are limited, they have a bath house/restroom and are working on a second one now. You can find them on Facebook

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Since July 4th is coming up, does anyone have any plans for the following weekend? My buddy and I are thinking about heading to either Desoto NF or Kisatchie NF, assuming we can track down the coolant leak on his Exploder.
Let me know if yall decide to go to Desoto. I work on Saturdays but would be more than happy to come meet up on a sunday morning or saturday night and camp/ride.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Let me know if yall decide to go to Desoto. I work on Saturdays but would be more than happy to come meet up on a sunday morning or saturday night and camp/ride.
Will do! I think we've removed Kisatchie from the list, but we've also added Homochitto. I'm still leaning towards Desoto since I'm already a little familiar with it from my through-paddle of the park at the beginning of the year. Do you have any trails marked up good for camping? Or do you camp at the campsites on the creek?

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Will do! I think we've removed Kisatchie from the list, but we've also added Homochitto. I'm still leaning towards Desoto since I'm already a little familiar with it from my through-paddle of the park at the beginning of the year. Do you have any trails marked up good for camping? Or do you camp at the campsites on the creek?
Desoto is dispersed so you can camp along any FS road as long as your 100 ft off the road. But yeah I normally camp at cypress creek landing. I have heard that Homochitto is the most scenic of the Forests in MS so I would be down for that too!

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Desoto is dispersed so you can camp along any FS road as long as your 100 ft off the road. But yeah I normally camp at cypress creek landing. I have heard that Homochitto is the most scenic of the Forests in MS so I would be down for that too!
Then let's do Homochitto, that should be a happy medium between us travel wise. I'll do some research tonight to see what their rules are and the better trails to go down.

Anyone else interested in tagging along?

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Reactions: Cwilli17

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

My fiance and I (and maybe two others that aren't on the site) are planning on heading to Homochitto 7/6 and staying until 7/8. I'm thinking we can meet up at the Clear Springs rec area and ride from there, or maybe even stay there the first night to go over the MVUM together (See the link below). I just found out that my CB radio's battery has been leaking for a bit and ruined the whole unit, so I'm hoping to get a replacement before the trip. From what I understand of the trails, they aren't too difficult but there really aren't that many loops that are purely dirt roads. Has anyone been there before and know some "must see" trails?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd525821.pdf

Also, if those in the Baton Rouge/Gonzales area are planning on leaving on the Friday as well and would like to form a caravan then just let me know.

Edit: Looking at their site, the rec area is $5/vehicle for day use and $7/night for camping. If y'all are looking to meet up without paying the usage fee, let me know. If that's going to be our meetup point, it makes sense to go ahead and pay the extra $2 to stay there the first night. If y'all would rather disperse camp both nights, lets see if we can find a good meet up spot alternative

Last edited: