Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

A lot of the trails in Kisatchie are seasonal. We do a bit of backpacking in the forest and most of the trail markers show what days the trail is open. The MVUM for the forest districts have a legend on the bottom with when which trail is open for planning your route. A large portion of them close for a couple months through the year.
That being said, there are a couple of decent trails out there if you're willing to do some exploring. My wife and I are wanting to go and find a couple routes that would be open during different seasons (one for winter, one for fall, etc) since the area really isn't mapped out for oveflanding
Thanks so much for the information - much appreciated. Glad to hear the trails are clearly marked and I think they are what I am looking for to explore. You are correct, I called them and quite a few of the trails are closed for the winter months. I may go check it out soon, just to drive a little and explore and will let you know what I find. It's not too far from where I am near Shreveport.

G.C. Gordon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Odessa, Texas, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

Coming to MS from TX in about a week I will be close to the Hburg area. If anyone is down for a ride. I’m from that area originally as well
I lived in the Oak Grove area from summer of 15 to summer of 18. Great place. If you haven’t been back in a while, be sure to hit up Ed’s Burgers on Hardy. It was one of our favorites.

Reactions: Commandalorian

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Has anyone ran through Kisatchie since the quarantine hit? We were planning on headed out there this weekend to take advantage of the weather. Kind of worried about there being somewhat of a crowd with everyone trying to social distance in the woods

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I took a drive out there weekend before last. I saw only a few other vehicles. Stuart lake cg was closed and a sherriff parked at the gate. It had rained the night before and a few of the smaller trails I tried to explore were too soupy to risk without a 2nd vehicle. You should be fine as far as crowds go. It wasnt nearly as bad as the amount of traffic during deer season.

Reactions: PicNick

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I took a drive out there weekend before last. I saw only a few other vehicles. Stuart lake cg was closed and a sherriff parked at the gate. It had rained the night before and a few of the smaller trails I tried to explore were too soupy to risk without a 2nd vehicle. You should be fine as far as crowds go. It wasnt nearly as bad as the amount of traffic during deer season.
Good to hear, I've got a couple spots marked for easy riding that I'll hit up. My usual wheeling buddy is in danger of a lay off so he's sitting this one out. I'll chock it up to another reason my wife needs to let me get a winch lol

Reactions: Ctblackmon

Ctblackmon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

Hey y’all been kind of out of the picture for a while. I live in the southwest corner of La more or less lol in the little town of Merryville. How’s everything been going with everyone? Hope y’all haven’t been hurt by the rona.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Good to hear, I've got a couple spots marked for easy riding that I'll hit up. My usual wheeling buddy is in danger of a lay off so he's sitting this one out. I'll chock it up to another reason my wife needs to let me get a winch lol
lack of winch keeps me in check. Lol

i think I met you at home depot in gonzales. Im off work tomorrow and thursday. I have to work this weekend but I should be off the following weekend. If you can squeeze a run in when Im off I might be interested in going.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

lack of winch keeps me in check. Lol

i think I met you at home depot in gonzales. Im off work tomorrow and thursday. I have to work this weekend but I should be off the following weekend. If you can squeeze a run in when Im off I might be interested in going.
Sure enough, that was probably me! I think I was there to pick up either a cabinet or an air compressor, and I definitely rushed a hearty hello to a OB member in a 4runner. I also tend to see your rig on 44 on my way home from work fairly often I believe.

I've got some parts coming in that I need to throw on the Jeep next weekend, so I'll have to rain check you on that. I'll hit you up next time I'm pointed towards the woods though

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Hey y’all been kind of out of the picture for a while. I live in the southwest corner of La more or less lol in the little town of Merryville. How’s everything been going with everyone? Hope y’all haven’t been hurt by the rona.
Welcome back! I'm enjoying having the time at home with the wife, just spending a little too much time staring at the jeep plotting out my next mods. How's everything on your side of the boot?

Reactions: Ctblackmon

Ctblackmon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

Welcome back! I'm enjoying having the time at home with the wife, just spending a little too much time staring at the jeep plotting out my next mods. How's everything on your side of the boot?
Glad to be back. I know what you mean lol every time I look at my TJ I’m wanting to do something else to it lol. And every thing is trucking along slowly lol. I’m still working thank the lord only lost 4 hours a week so not to bad considering all the people that’s out of work.

IrieVibes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Baton Rouge, LA
First Name
Dre
Last Name
Jaxx
Member #

New OB member here in LA. Originally from DeRidder, been living in BR for 11yrs. Hope this finds everyone in good health. Glad to be a member of the crew. Traded in my 2wd 2012 Silverado for a 2019 4RUNNER ORP last July. It’s my first 4x4, so far it’s been to the Ozark/St. Francis NF, Colorado, and Utah. No major wheeling, just some forest roads and NPs.

Last edited:

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

New OB member here in LA. Originally from DeRidder, been living in BR for 11yrs. Hope this finds everyone in good health. Glad to be a member of the crew. Traded in my 2wd 2012 Silverado for a 2019 4RUNNER ORP last July. It’s my first 4x4, so far it’s been to the Ozark/St. Francis NF, Colorado, and Utah. No major wheeling, just some forest roads and NPs.
Welcome! I'm right down the road in Gonzales/Prairieville. It's a bummer that there's really not much good wheeling in these parts

Reactions: IrieVibes

IrieVibes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Baton Rouge, LA
First Name
Dre
Last Name
Jaxx
Member #

Welcome! I'm right down the road in Gonzales/Prairieville. It's a bummer that there's really not much good wheeling in these parts
Thanks brother! Yeah, not much around here. Have you or anyone you know been to the Catahoula Off Rd Rec area?

Fred25246

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Louisiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nolan
Thanks brother! Yeah, not much around here. Have you or anyone you know been to the Catahoula Off Rd Rec area?
Alexandria here.
Sicily Island is a great little place considering its in LA. We have a trip planned there in late Aug, I'll get you guys some dates for that if you're interested. They're having a Spring Fling event this weekend I think. Unfortunately I'll miss that one.

Reactions: IrieVibes