LA/MS Roll Call

• HTML tutorial

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

My fiance and I (and maybe two others that aren't on the site) are planning on heading to Homochitto 7/6 and staying until 7/8. I'm thinking we can meet up at the Clear Springs rec area and ride from there, or maybe even stay there the first night to go over the MVUM together (See the link below). I just found out that my CB radio's battery has been leaking for a bit and ruined the whole unit, so I'm hoping to get a replacement before the trip. From what I understand of the trails, they aren't too difficult but there really aren't that many loops that are purely dirt roads. Has anyone been there before and know some "must see" trails?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd525821.pdf

Also, if those in the Baton Rouge/Gonzales area are planning on leaving on the Friday as well and would like to form a caravan then just let me know.
Its a no go for me that weekend. Ill be working.

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

My fiance and I (and maybe two others that aren't on the site) are planning on heading to Homochitto 7/6 and staying until 7/8. I'm thinking we can meet up at the Clear Springs rec area and ride from there, or maybe even stay there the first night to go over the MVUM together (See the link below). I just found out that my CB radio's battery has been leaking for a bit and ruined the whole unit, so I'm hoping to get a replacement before the trip. From what I understand of the trails, they aren't too difficult but there really aren't that many loops that are purely dirt roads. Has anyone been there before and know some "must see" trails?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd525821.pdf

Also, if those in the Baton Rouge/Gonzales area are planning on leaving on the Friday as well and would like to form a caravan then just let me know.

Edit: Looking at their site, the rec area is $5/vehicle for day use and $7/night for camping. If y'all are looking to meet up without paying the usage fee, let me know. If that's going to be our meetup point, it makes sense to go ahead and pay the extra $2 to stay there the first night. If y'all would rather disperse camp both nights, lets see if we can find a good meet up spot alternative
I have never been out there, it looks like there are not a whole lot of roads to ride I would be interested in hiking the clarks creek loop i dont think its very long but has some cool water falls and what not.
I should have at least one to two more vehicles tagging along with me but I haven't decided whether or not ill be camping. also I dont mind the 5 dollar fee.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I have never been out there, it looks like there are not a whole lot of roads to ride I would be interested in hiking the clarks creek loop i dont think its very long but has some cool water falls and what not.
I should have at least one to two more vehicles tagging along with me but I haven't decided whether or not ill be camping. also I dont mind the 5 dollar fee.
Now that you say that, a couple years ago I did the primitive trail at Clark's creek. It whooped my butt! The regular short trail is pretty nice though, and I wouldn't mind hitting it up while we're there

Sent from my toaster using OB Talk mobile app

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Alright fellas, I've got some bad news. I'm afraid I cannot go on the trip this weekend due to a family emergency. My future FIL had a stroke so we will be spending our vacation with him instead. Sorry everyone!

blake716

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Gonzales, LA
Member #

Alright fellas, I've got some bad news. I'm afraid I cannot go on the trip this weekend due to a family emergency. My future FIL had a stroke so we will be spending our vacation with him instead. Sorry everyone!
Aww. Sorry to hear that. Hope he can make a full recovery.
I was really wanting to get out and do some camping too, but I’m in a similar situation with my grand mother.

I’m hoping to take a little trip to Arkansas later this summer.

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Sorry to hear that brother. hope all is well. dont worry about the trip family is far more important then camping

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Planning a trip in Desoto NF this Sunday 08/05. We should have around 7-10 rigs out there this time.

MEETING COORDINATES - 31.24857, -89.27657

MEETING TIME - 0830

Rolling out @ - 0900

As usual all are welcome just comment that you intend to join us so I can plan accordingly

blake716

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Gonzales, LA
Member #

My daughter wanted to go camping a couple of weekends ago, so we headed to Kisatchie. It rained on and off most of the day Saturday. The forest roads were slick and muddy, but not too bad. At least it wasn’t dusty. By about 5:30, the rain stopped and the sun came out. The heat and humidity became absolutely ridiculous. I was miserable, but I didn’t show it. My daughter was having a good time and had a smile on her face. That’s all that really mattered. It was a pretty good over nighter, but we both agreed the next camping trip will be in fall. Lol.

B61BA705-5E68-410E-B5E5-2F37F87A40DD.jpeg

65A32015-8271-4916-9A0D-7072F4CF1F0C.jpeg

510E289E-B87A-4AE0-9349-8667A6B0D3A7.png

9CA1AD12-7788-4BD9-B875-9B3E4465D9B7.jpeg

986871B1-10DD-4890-BE87-49D8B9CA9398.jpeg

EDD3C950-2F0C-4BE4-B0F0-1975A6CD281C.jpeg

Reactions: finlayforprez

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
My daughter wanted to go camping a couple of weekends ago, so we headed to Kisatchie. It rained on and off most of the day Saturday. The forest roads were slick and muddy, but not too bad. At least it wasn’t dusty. By about 5:30, the rain stopped and the sun came out. The heat and humidity became absolutely ridiculous. I was miserable, but I didn’t show it. My daughter was having a good time and had a smile on her face. That’s all that really mattered. It was a pretty good over nighter, but we both agreed the next camping trip will be in fall. Lol.

View attachment 65769

View attachment 65770

View attachment 65779

View attachment 65773

View attachment 65777

View attachment 65780
Nice!, What part of Kisatchie were you in? I have been looking to go up there but couldnt tell where Vehicles were allowed since most of the trails say less than 50" width only.

blake716

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Gonzales, LA
Member #

Nice!, What part of Kisatchie were you in? I have been looking to go up there but couldnt tell where Vehicles were allowed since most of the trails say less than 50" width only.
That was at Forest Hill.

I used to ride/race dirt bikes, so all I knew of the area was the bike loops. This was the first time I’d been there in a truck to hunt for places that I could actually go in the truck.
All I did was start driving. If I came to a fork in the road, I went whichever way looked the roughest. There were a few dead ends where we had to back up until there was a good place to turn around. I just avoided any places that had signs saying I couldn’t go there.
It wasn’t spectacular, but it was something to do and we did have fun.
Louisiana pretty much sucks for “free range” off roading, so I’ll take what I can get.
I’ve Been working on my wife, trying to convince her to move west. Like Arizona. It’s not working. She doesn’t want to go past Houston.
Killin me.

Reactions: finlayforprez

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
All I did was start driving. If I came to a fork in the road, I went whichever way looked the roughest.
Kinda what I'm looking at doing this weekend in Homochitto. Never been there, so I'm going to poke around and see what's what. Still not sure if I want to take the tent and other gear or just make a day trip of it. The better half and the dog are going along, so I guess we'll see. Right now, I'm trying to map out a gravel or dirt route from Gloster or Cosby to the campground and then back over to the Trace for the trip home, but not much connects unless you're hiking.

blake716

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Gonzales, LA
Member #

Kinda what I'm looking at doing this weekend in Homochitto. Never been there, so I'm going to poke around and see what's what. Still not sure if I want to take the tent and other gear or just make a day trip of it. The better half and the dog are going along, so I guess we'll see. Right now, I'm trying to map out a gravel or dirt route from Gloster or Cosby to the campground and then back over to the Trace for the trip home, but not much connects unless you're hiking.
Hopefully you find some decent roads and have a nice time. I’ve been out there before, but didn’t do much “exploring”. I’d like to take a little day trip out there to at least look around a little more. When we went camping a few weeks ago, Homochitto was the other option we were thinking of going.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Looking at the online MVU map, it’ll probably take a few trips to really get some tracks mapped out. My main goal is to check out the campground and then see if there are any good and legal dispersed spots that could be used later in the year when it cools off some in case I want to be antisocial, lol. Depending on how many times I get lost and have to backtrack Saturday, I might end up doing an overnight in Clear Springs CG if they have any spots open.
I’d also like to eventually hook up with the MS guys for a couple of trips to Desoto to nose around some more. I work shift work and have unfortunately missed the ones they’ve posted about because they’ve been on weekends I’ve had to work.
Anyway, if I find anything of interest, I’ll pass it along. Taking my tablet, so I’ll try to map some stuff on Gaia and post it.

Reactions: blake716

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Took a day trip yesterday to check out Homochitto NF in Mississippi. Pretty nice little area that we'll definitely be going back to when the weather cools off. Before going, I checked the MVU maps on the FS interactive site and found that it was quite accurate as far as road closures, which kind of sucked, but it was a good day overall. From what I can tell, the closed roads were all dead ends that, hopefully, will be opened back up at some point, because I'd really like to go down them to see what's there. Just because...

The Clear Spring CG was well maintained and the sites are spread out around the little lake with some really nice spots. There is also a "primitive" area just before the main campground that has, IIRC, 20 or so sites located on a dead end track off the main CG road. We didn't take any gear with us, but this weekend would have been a good one to stay if you wanted solitude. We only saw three sites being used (none in the primitive area) and a few vehicles were parked in the day use area with people fishing. What really surprised me was that, with the exception of the paved county and state roads, we never passed another vehicle. Being as close as it is to the Natchez Trace, you'd figure there'd be more folks out and about on such a nice day. Pretty sure this will be my go to for any last minute get outta Dodge for the weekend trips from now on.

I recorded a track from Crosby over to the CG and back over to the Trace

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
That was at Forest Hill.

I used to ride/race dirt bikes, so all I knew of the area was the bike loops. This was the first time I’d been there in a truck to hunt for places that I could actually go in the truck.
All I did was start driving. If I came to a fork in the road, I went whichever way looked the roughest. There were a few dead ends where we had to back up until there was a good place to turn around. I just avoided any places that had signs saying I couldn’t go there.
It wasn’t spectacular, but it was something to do and we did have fun.
Louisiana pretty much sucks for “free range” off roading, so I’ll take what I can get.
I’ve Been working on my wife, trying to convince her to move west. Like Arizona. It’s not working. She doesn’t want to go past Houston.
Killin me.
Lol I feel your pain

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Its still a tad hot for Louisiana camping. I made several trips to kisatchie last fall. The Stuart lake campground is usually a go-to spot for the first night. Theres a swimming area at the lake for day use and the restrooms there have hot showers. Ive do e most of the forest service roads in that district and some of the lesser used trails as well. Another decent campground west of alexandria is lotus cg. Lots of dirt bikes on weekends though but theres a ton of dispersed camping in that district. I found a spot that used to be an overlook with vw sized boulders last thanksgiving. It was well off the beaten path. Im headed west next weekend to new mexico and colorado. As soon as it cools some id be up for a trip to kisatchie one weekend if some folks want to get together.

Also, i see a cpl of you are from the prarieville gonzales area. My gf just moved to gonzales so im in that area a good bit of the time.

Reactions: blake716 and ru108

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
Its still a tad hot for Louisiana camping. I made several trips to kisatchie last fall. The Stuart lake campground is usually a go-to spot for the first night. Theres a swimming area at the lake for day use and the restrooms there have hot showers. Ive do e most of the forest service roads in that district and some of the lesser used trails as well. Another decent campground west of alexandria is lotus cg. Lots of dirt bikes on weekends though but theres a ton of dispersed camping in that district. I found a spot that used to be an overlook with vw sized boulders last thanksgiving. It was well off the beaten path. Im headed west next weekend to new mexico and colorado. As soon as it cools some id be up for a trip to kisatchie one weekend if some folks want to get together.

Also, i see a cpl of you are from the prarieville gonzales area. My gf just moved to gonzales so im in that area a good bit of the time.
I might be interested in a Fall trip, I'm based in New Orleans.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
As soon as it cools some id be up for a trip to kisatchie one weekend if some folks want to get together.
Same here. I haven't been over there yet. I work every other weekend, but if anything comes up, I'd be interested if I can get the days to line up.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Weather permitting, the future wife and I are planning on hitting up Desoto this weekend. We'll be headed that way after she gets off of work on Friday and most likely going to camp at Fairley Bridge landing/cg that night. Not sure how long we're gonna be out there, but we're planning on doing day hikes when we're not driving. If anyone is in the area, feel free to hit me up! I should have my CB with me on the OB channel. Anyone know some good trails to hit up?

Reactions: Tommys