US Northwest June 2020 WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

• HTML tutorial

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
taliv,
Sorry, I thought you were a Member with a Subaru that was hoping to go! You will have no problem towing a trailer on the WABDR. Might get some new pinstripes on the truck and trailer though! Make sure you get in contact with @Greg Eigsti, as he is the one setting this up. My guess we may have to have some limit on the number in the group. Also Greg is putting together a list on who is bringing what equipment, like coms and the like. By the way, I have a 99’ Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 pickup with a manual transmission. Love my truck! Will not be bringing that though on this trip! Vance.
thanks! i appreciate the info. I'm in TN and with the virus stuff and work, I'm not sure about timing, but I was actually planning to do the trail sometime this summer. I'll try to catch another group later as exploring, campfires and cooking are always better with groups. I wasn't even clear on what dates your group was going. Please post a lot of pics though!

btw, I've been a HAM since 2006 i think

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@taliv when the virus stuff is lifted and you want to make this run, let myself, @Greg Eigsti , @Gabriel Bozeman or @4wheelspulling know of your plans to make the trip, and we will get a group together. There is enough interest in this trip to do several runs throughout a year.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Funny how I missed the whole middle discussion on this trip! If you wonder on my questions and the answers I have given on this trip, now you know why! I’m just a brain dead guy willing to find adventures, even if I’m lost most of the time! Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
taliv,
Sorry, I thought you were a Member with a Subaru that was hoping to go! You will have no problem towing a trailer on the WABDR. Might get some new pinstripes on the truck and trailer though! Make sure you get in contact with @Greg Eigsti, as he is the one setting this up. My guess we may have to have some limit on the number in the group. Also Greg is putting together a list on who is bringing what equipment, like coms and the like. By the way, I have a 99’ Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 pickup with a manual transmission. Love my truck! Will not be bringing that though on this trip! Vance.
Quick correction - @Bilbo is running this, I'm just an old confused guy with too much time on his hands due to "the situation". ;)

Just to echo what others have said today - heck yeah I'd do this run with you all several times a year, even have some other stuff we could try.

Thanks everyone for making up such an awesome community!

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
@taliv when the virus stuff is lifted and you want to make this run, let myself, @Greg Eigsti , @Gabriel Bozeman or @4wheelspulling know of your plans to make the trip, and we will get a group together. There is enough interest in this trip to do several runs throughout a year.
thanks for the offer! I'm going to do my best to take you up on it! (especially if gas prices remain low this summer. it's 2400 mi one way from me to Bridge of the gods, so $1000 in diesel just to get there and back) (i have driven to WA (via NM, CO, UT) and back last year and two years ago. anxious to do it again)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
thanks for the offer! I'm going to do my best to take you up on it! (especially if gas prices remain low this summer. it's 2400 mi one way from me to Bridge of the gods, so $1000 in diesel just to get there and back) (i have driven to WA (via NM, CO, UT) and back last year and two years ago. anxious to do it again)
$1000 ouch! If your route takes you through Montana let me know and I'll point some spots of interest out. Definitely speak up if you are headed this way!

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
hey btw, what are pros/cons of WABDR vs this path? Overland Routes | Pacific Crest: Washington - Expedition Portal

seems like they 90% overlap til you get close to winthrop, then instead of going north to CA you take a hard left through cascades to bellingham.
I have them both overlaid on my Gaia maps, looks like the Pacific Crest has nicer forest service roads (more 2 digit roads) and more pavement. I wouldn't mind checking out the sections in the Gifford-Pinchot and maybe between 410 & Cle Elum. Rest of it doesn't look as interesting to me.

Reactions: Ubiety and taliv

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
I have them both overlaid on my Gaia maps, looks like the Pacific Crest has nicer forest service roads (more 2 digit roads) and more pavement. I wouldn't mind checking out the sections in the Gifford-Pinchot and maybe between 410 & Cle Elum. Rest of it doesn't look as interesting to me.
If I were going solo I’d prob opt for nicer fs roads. With a group the wabdr seems like the way to go then?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If I were going solo I’d prob opt for nicer fs roads. With a group the wabdr seems like the way to go then?
I guess that depends on what any group wants; I'd be up for either or other routes!

I'll DM you to start a Montana conversation.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

WABDR videos (sections 1-3) on youtube (I liked Expedition Overland's series)
Thanks for the referral. I've run 3 multiple times and half of 2 a couple times but still, it's always a nice relaxing lunch vid - didn't know Expedition Overland had done it

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

There are many side roads that you can or could explore off the route of the WABDR. I am just sharing my thoughts on travel as a group. If you start with the group, you should stay with the group. I think this way no one could say we left someone behind. If you see something you want to explore more, than that is for a trip “next time”. Just my thoughts. Vance.

Reactions: Ubiety and taliv

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

There are many side roads that you can or could explore off the route of the WABDR. I am just sharing my thoughts on travel as a group. If you start with the group, you should stay with the group. I think this way no one could say we left someone behind. If you see something you want to explore more, than that is for a trip “next time”. Just my thoughts. Vance.
I agree, traveling as a group is way different from your own explorations. When we are traveling as a group, we need to stay as a group. If the whole group wants to make a change, that is fine, but the whole group needs to all go the same place. This is really important so that we can keep track of everyone. We do not want someone to get left behind and nobody go looking for them. It's a safety thing.
When you are alone, you are responsible to make sure that you have a plan in place to get you home in the even of something going wrong. As a group, we are each others "Plan", we rely on each other to ensure the whole group makes it home.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I agree, traveling as a group is way different from your own explorations. When we are traveling as a group, we need to stay as a group. If the whole group wants to make a change, that is fine, but the whole group needs to all go the same place. This is really important so that we can keep track of everyone. We do not want someone to get left behind and nobody go looking for them. It's a safety thing.
When you are alone, you are responsible to make sure that you have a plan in place to get you home in the even of something going wrong. As a group, we are each others "Plan", we rely on each other to ensure the whole group makes it home.
oldmopars,
Well said my friend! Vance.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for the referral. I've run 3 multiple times and half of 2 a couple times but still, it's always a nice relaxing lunch vid - didn't know Expedition Overland had done it
Awesome vids, thanks for sharing! The dogs liked your bears. Never seen one in our neighborhood but neighbors have.

Reactions: M Rose

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

We are exploring the first 3 sections of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route on our way to the NW Overland Rally which begins on Thursday, June 18th. We'll start at the Bridge of the Gods early Monday morning on June 15th and cover approximately 1 section per day. We'll be stopping to take in the views of Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier, do some short hikes, and camp in trucks or tents not far from the route. We'll cover anywhere from 60 to 130 miles per day. The last day, Thursday, will have a few different options for folks who prefer to fish, mountain bike, or hang out in Leavenworth.
Bilbo,
A place to add to the list of places to camp in route, is just before you come out at Highway 12. There is some nice camping areas that are free camping right along the river. People though would have to take care of their own human waste issue. If all were up to pay to camp, there are some camping places close by also. Vance.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Bilbo,
Are you going to set up a second group yet? I know your original trip was the first 3 sections of the WABDR. I will be running the route from the border of Oregon and Washington, through to Washington and Canada. Taking time off for those wanting to attend NWOR. Then head on and do the remaining sections to the Canadian border. Vance.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bilbo,
A place to add to the list of places to camp in route, is just before you come out at Highway 12. There is some nice camping areas that are free camping right along the river. People though would have to take care of their own human waste issue. If all were up to pay to camp, there are some camping places close by also. Vance.
Thanks @4wheelspulling - will look for those spots and put into the GPX file. I am planning on bringing a PETT toilet w/ privacy tent for the gals and for #2 for the guys. Better go order me up some wag bags ;)

Reactions: 4wheelspulling