Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Well awesome thanks for all the ideas I'll definitely be asking some more questions today!!! Also I'm looking at a Rubicon right now and so it had the Dana 44 front and rear and then it was upgraded to manual locking hubs with 4.88 gears and idk if the lockers are still factory or not.
Apologies if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but be really careful when buying a modded vehicle. While it is great that you are getting all the upgrades you will probably want to add at some point, you need to learn if the previous owner really used those upgrades. Did that person do normal street driving and have all the gear for show? Or did that person abuse the snot out of the Jeep and you are possibly inheriting issues. I would try to take it to a 4x4 shop that didn't do any work on it before you buy it and have an inspection to see what condition it is in.

As for the Rubi, I am not sure why someone would want to replace the factory lockers, assuming it is stock or near-stock. However I do think the Rubi is a great starting platform for off-road or overland use. But I would look for one that is near-stock. It will have plenty of capability with a good set of tires if all is running well. Plus you will know all the parts and they will be easier to replace or upgrade. It can be a bit harder when you are driving Frankenstein's monster and something breaks when you are far from home. It will do more than you think of on stock size 32 MTs. After you drive it a bit and learn more about that particular vehicle, you can prioritize a wish list. With a mechanically sound vehicle that is factory-built for serious off-road use, you won't need to focus on lift, bigger tires, snorkels, and light bars initially. You can focus on recovery, overlanding, and mods that will help you overcome obstacles you struggle with. Plus you will become a better driver in the meantime (and probably realize you don't need some of the mods you might think are required now).

Whatever you do, best of luck and welcome to the world of Jeeps! Big wave from the Windy City!

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

Check frame check frame if you can get your hands on a bore scope there kinda cheap at harbor freight look in the frame for rust and frame repair/patching and then check were all the control arms mount to the frame then you can move on to the body which is not that bad but still look then hoses and and plastic lines to see how brittle the are then test drive make shit it shifts smooth and theres no vibrations those would the all main things from someone there lives in the north east what to look for ....o and the tank skid for rot good luck

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Shamu

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Ok sub reply to my last post. I want this to be a rig I can conquer the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim. It is a 2000 Wrangler TJ sport. Pretty stock, already has rocker panels and an inch body lift. Obviously I also Overlamd and it is my daily. So with all these goals in mind, and the fact that I’m 22 and can’t afford to put 20,000 dollars into it immediately, what do I NEED done right away I have a budget of around 3-5 thousand. Also tire size and recommended tires that can do intense crawling and give whatever the best on road performance would be for a crawling tire. I was thinking 33s but could be convinced to go up to 35s. I’m going to have the suspension and gearing set up to run 35s because I don’t want to have the suspension and gearing redone again when go bigger. I think once I can afford a daily driver I will be able to do the mods that would make it impossible to daily drive, but I’ll ask those questions in 10 years.. So basically what I’m looking for is:
Tires?
Mods I should do immediately?
Mods that I should do later so I can start saving?
Thanks for your time guys! Any questions or info you need from me just ask, I’ll be watching this closely for the next couple days! Just Empty Every Pocket baby861578D0-1632-4E94-B485-7FEA41D838FA.jpeg
No Dallas Cowboys fans please

Attachments

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Ok sub reply to my last post. I want this to be a rig I can conquer the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim. It is a 2000 Wrangler TJ sport. Pretty stock, already has rocker panels and an inch body lift. Obviously I also Overlamd and it is my daily. So with all these goals in mind, and the fact that I’m 22 and can’t afford to put 20,000 dollars into it immediately, what do I NEED done right away I have a budget of around 3-5 thousand. Also tire size and recommended tires that can do intense crawling and give whatever the best on road performance would be for a crawling tire. I was thinking 33s but could be convinced to go up to 35s. I’m going to have the suspension and gearing set up to run 35s because I don’t want to have the suspension and gearing redone again when go bigger. I think once I can afford a daily driver I will be able to do the mods that would make it impossible to daily drive, but I’ll ask those questions in 10 years.. So basically what I’m looking for is:
Tires?
Thanks for your time guys! Any questions or info you need from me just ask, I’ll be watching this closely for the next couple days! Just Empty Every Pocket babyView attachment 106132
I’m also going to post it’s own thread if you guys want to reply there, or just realize this is the same post if you stumble onto my build thread!

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Tires?
Thanks for your time guys! Any questions or info you need from me just ask, I’ll be watching this closely for the next couple days! Just Empty Every Pocket babyView attachment 106132
M1jacobs, You can't really do what you want as far as lift/tire/ gear size, it all has to balance or you will have problems compounded later. As a standard most of the rock crawlers go to above 4"and 35's with a least 4:88's for gearing, but that will eat gas as a daily driver . But is doable if you don't have a long Comute. The serious Rock crawlers are going 37 or 40's and in the 5: something range and most are towed or trailered to the site. With that said I am comfortable at 2.5 lift and 35's with 4:55 gears, yes there are some rocks I can't do but I have a winch that will get me most places and my rig does not have a problem as a daily, remember also the more weight you hang on the ends of those axles the more beefed up they need to be, and all your ball joints and bushings and axles all need to beefed up too, it's a expensive cycle...OH and one more thing....
312e1e4276c2fb8c05bada7b61f76abb.jpg

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
2001 Grand cherokee - currently rock stock, 4.0L , auto, 231 tcase

getting its front end rebuilt (all joints) ... needs some tlc from sitting, messed up drivers seat... but the unibody and all the important bits are solid

nothing intense for mods ... bumpers, sliders, 1.5 OME heavy springs, 1 inch spacers, adjustable arms, fuel tank tuck, 265/75/16 aggressive AT's , probably a fender trim.

working up some designs for custom storage inside using the rear wing windows, as it'll have to be a daily driver, so no cargo drawer. but also the 40 of the backseat behind the drivers seat will be nearly useless so it'll getting pulled with a rack/etc to hold cooler of some form, and other stuffs, nothing confirmed yet.

lots of plans gathering bits, not alot of time at work at the moment, and thats where it's gotta go for a bunch of the work :D

Attachments

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Great inf
M1jacobs, You can't really do what you want as far as lift/tire/ gear size, it all has to balance or you will have problems compounded later. As a standard most of the rock crawlers go to above 4"and 35's with a least 4:88's for gearing, but that will eat gas as a daily driver . But is doable if you don't have a long Comute. The serious Rock crawlers are going 37 or 40's and in the 5: something range and most are towed or trailered to the site. With that said I am comfortable at 2.5 lift and 35's with 4:55 gears, yes there are some rocks I can't do but I have a winch that will get me most places and my rig does not have a problem as a daily, remember also the more weight you hang on the ends of those axles the more beefed up they need to be, and all your ball joints and bushings and axles all need to beefed up too, it's a expensive cycle...OH and one more thing....
View attachment 106174
great info thank you! I just finished my first formal physics education and I appreciate the physics involved in rock crawling but I can’t afford to rig out like that currently. Thank you so much for your input!

Reactions: 9Mike2

AJK2015

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire
First Name
Chris
Member #

2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport, family of 4 with a Roof Top Tent. Except for 6 months where I owned a Toyota Tacoma I've always had a Jeep. Even then my wife had a Grand Cherokee. I liked the Tacoma but wasn't the same. I used to have a JKU, but there's something about the little 2 doors that I love. Sure I could get a vehicle with better MPG, but I saw a meme once that had a picture of a Jeep w/ big tires and the doors off saying "Your kids won't remember that time you got 39.5 MPG". And that's what its all about for me.
PSX_20190717_193017.jpg

AT71

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
FOOBICON
Tires?
Are you from Philly?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I’ve owned 3 jeeps, a 89 Sahara with the straight 6. Loved that Jeep. Went anywhere. Next was a 02 Wrangler sport. That Jeep was great too. I also owned a 04 Jeep Liberty sport. People definitely underestimated those jeeps. Hoping to get another one if I can find a used one without to much rust and not to expensive after my back surgery.