Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
LARRY
Last Name
BATES
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Mountain Man
Thanks! She’s been pretty solid since 2004. Besides regular mx and mods (last couple of years), had to R&R the AC compressor (late ‘05 under warranty) and just this year the oem radio (it decided to hold one of my CDs hostage).
I had a 2010 that would not give my CD back, lol

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Respect!!!~
Carrying 10 gal of gas and 10 gal of water. I siphoned both gas jerry cans into the Jeep with just over a quarter of a tank by the end of the trip (Hanksville - The Neck - Ekker - Millard - BLM site on the Hite Trail just south of the NP - Sunset Pass - Hite Trail to the gas station at Hite). Used about 6 gal of water (including trying the Scrubba to wash some clothes for possible future long overland trails).

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So the xj went bye bye. Wife wasn't a fan. And it was a bit small in there with the 3 of us.
So I picked up another rubi. Was going to get another Jk but used priced vs what I got this for it was a no brainer. No plans for mods right now as it pretty capable, though I'd like throw some 40s on it to piss off the overlanding purists Haha I kid I kid20190518_161533.jpg

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Alright question for all you jeep heads. I have a 2016 Patriot and am considering trading it for a 2002 wrangler with 96k miles, with the inline 6 and an ungodly amount of modifications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys! I am also curious how many miles anyone with a TJ has gotten out of that engine. I heard a story about 400k (replacing parts instead of fixing parts on all issues).

Reactions: Drifterman

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
96K miles is nothing for that motor, assuming decent maintenance and care.

But you do still have to worry about rubber aging and getting brittle. This means seals and hoses. Things like fuel line back at the tank, engine seals and gaskets, flex lines for the brakes, etc.

Modifications are always a wild card. Were they done well? Or just a quick and dirty effort to get the look someone wanted?

What modifications are there? And what brands. I would feel much better about the modifications if the owner sprung for ARB/Old Man Emu as opposed to Ruff Stuff.

Beyond the above it is hard to give advice without having specifics to work with.

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

96K miles is nothing for that motor, assuming decent maintenance and care.

But you do still have to worry about rubber aging and getting brittle. This means seals and hoses. Things like fuel line back at the tank, engine seals and gaskets, flex lines for the brakes, etc.

Modifications are always a wild card. Were they done well? Or just a quick and dirty effort to get the look someone wanted?

What modifications are there? And what brands. I would feel much better about the modifications if the owner sprung for ARB/Old Man Emu as opposed to Ruff Stuff.

Beyond the above it is hard to give advice without having specifics to work with.
4.0 L - 6 cylinder
Dana 44 rear
Dana 30 front
Selectable locker - front
Limited slip - rear
4:88 gears
On board air compressor with hose connector
SYE (slip yolk eliminator) kit
Chromoly axels
4 inch long arm lift
Custom from bumper and roll cage by DC Custom Fab
35" x 12.5" x 15" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires
Full body armor and tube fenders
Warn winch with synthetic rope and remote control
All disc brakes
Full Rock lights
Wurton light bar (20,000 lumens) with clear, amber and smoke lenses
Hard Top, full doors, bikini top and gear shade
LED lights and blinkers

This is copied right out of the ad

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would want to know whose long arm lift kit?

I would also want to know if it is still running stock steering, or if that has been upgraded, and if so, again, whose steering?

Those are the areas where failure is the most dangerous.

Of all the mods in that list, the Warn winch is the only thing where I can think someone stepped up to the good stuff. I know nothing about DC Custom Fab or Wurton. The rest is generic.

35s on a Dana 30 is pretty much the upper limit for that axle, especially with 4.88s and a locker. (And why doesn't the ad say which selectable locker?). With 35s that axle really should be trussed and gusseted, and perhaps sleeved. If the TJ is kept light it might hold up as it is, but if you load it up with gear and passengers I would expect that axle to become a repair or replace item.

Quality of workmanship is important too. A good eye is needed to assess that.

I like the low miles. I like the platform. Odds are anything wrong with it can be fixed, but I have yet to be convinced that it isn't likely to need a bit of fixing.

Jeephunter

Rank 0

Contributor I

Windsor, CO, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Brown

I would also want to know if it is still running stock steering, or if that has been upgraded, and if so, again, whose steering?

Of all the mods in that list, the Warn winch is the only thing where I can think someone stepped up to the good stuff. I know nothing about DC Custom Fab or Wurton. The rest is generic.

35s on a Dana 30 is pretty much the upper limit for that axle, especially with 4.88s and a locker. (And why doesn't the ad say which selectable locker?). With 35s that axle really should be trussed and gusseted, and perhaps sleeved. If the TJ is kept light it might hold up as it is, but if you load it up with gear and passengers I would expect that axle to become a repair or replace item.

I like the low miles. I like the platform. Odds are anything wrong with it can be fixed, but I have yet to be convinced that it isn't likely to need a bit of fixing.
Well awesome thanks for all the ideas I'll definitely be asking some more questions today!!! Also I'm looking at a Rubicon right now and so it had the Dana 44 front and rear and then it was upgraded to manual locking hubs with 4.88 gears and idk if the lockers are still factory or not.

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Great info! It looked like a 4x4 mechanic shop installed all the mods when they owned it because the the thing covered in their decals and badges so I went to the website and emailed them asking about it. Then they sold it to the people I’m buying it from so I don’t even think the owner knows some of this, but I’ll definitely figure out the lift and if the steering has been upgraded. Thank you!

Elblanco chingon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murray Ky
Member #

Well awesome thanks for all the ideas I'll definitely be asking some more questions today!!! Also I'm looking at a Rubicon right now and so it had the Dana 44 front and rear and then it was upgraded to manual locking hubs with 4.88 gears and idk if the lockers are still factory or not.
Always check for frame and body mount rust(usually at upper rear control arm mounts at frame end and body mounts under doors) trust me[emoji4]