Jermaniac

Rank I

Contributor III

Assen, Nederland
First Name
Jermaine
Last Name
Seidel
I'm happy I stumbled upon this forum, just when I thought forums were dead since Facebook became a thing.

Greetings to all reading my long post, typing from the Netherlands, where there just isn't an overlanding scene. Two years ago I bought a bone stock, cheap Impreza wagon with 200k kilometers on the underpowered 1.6 16v boxer engine (95hp) powering the AWD drivetrain with DualRange manual transmission.

This car is what got me into off-roading, believe it or not. Took it for a spin with winter tires on some dirt roads in my area and it got me hooked.
I wanted to explore, find the limits of the car (and myself) and all it did was impress me. This Impreza impressed me...(I'll get to the thread title in a second).

When browsing YouTube I've found Australia's best known YTchannel: 4WD 24-7 (4WD Action back then). The entire vibe of offroading, struggling on Aussies toughest tracks and the rewarding destinations those guys capture on camera opened up a whole other dimension for me.

I've been wrenching on (nineties) cars since I've got my drivers license as a hobby, improving road performance, lowering cars, changing engines, overall tuning for best handling on track. But this is the first time I've lifted a vehicle.
Using a pair of used struts of a Forester, combined with 40mm strutspacers gave me a 3" lift. Some off-brand M/T 215/75r15 (27") fitted on 2nd hand lower offset aluminum wheels really topped the cake.
2021-05-10_20-59-02.jpg
The green stripes on the hood and side of the Subaru are used to identify foresters' cars in The Netherlands. So the pun 'Imprezzed Forester' only works here, but I'm not a forester. It's just the link with Subaru's other model 'Forester' that I like to refer to, seeing I'm using some parts of it.

Anyway, I've been to 4x4 events and it's there where I can really test the "rig". The Netherlands is very limited to go offroad as a lot of forestroads are prohibited to enter with any motorized vehicle, to preserve 'Hollands' scarce nature. So legally accessible roads are way to easy, they don't offer any challenge.
Generally, Subarus are disrespected as an offroader, which I get. It has its shortcomings.
But still I've got eyes on me at such events as they expect me to get stuck everywhere, which I don't. Doing this does helps me find the weak points and limitations, I'll memorize those and adapt the car to better handle these situations.

Ultimately, to reach a goal.
Now it's getting a bit personal...

For almost 4 years I've been alone, lost my last two friends six, seven months ago and I'm not the type that is bonded with his family.
What I said about "opened a new dimension for me" meant that I want to go elsewhere.
I'm not a cityboy (who is, on this forum, really?), and I've always fealt attracted to Scandinavia.

Therefore I want to build my daily driver, this Impreza wagon in a way, I could 'survive' on my own. It feels like surviving already, but in a society that I'm not happy with. I love driving, riding at 4x4 events, but with the people I do those things, I never feel a connection as they are in another league.

I feel like I could just pack my things and head north, but I know my equipment is not ready so that is what is holding me back.

Really looking forward to see ideas about camping with just a car, DIY projects to be able to manage exactly that and generally just reading what others think about any aspect of overlanding.
I just want to take it to the next level.

-Jermaine

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm happy I stumbled upon this forum, just when I thought forums were dead since Facebook became a thing.

Greetings to all reading my long post, typing from the Netherlands, where there just isn't an overlanding scene. Two years ago I bought a bone stock, cheap Impreza wagon with 200k kilometers on the underpowered 1.6 16v boxer engine (95hp) powering the AWD drivetrain with DualRange manual transmission.

This car is what got me into off-roading, believe it or not. Took it for a spin with winter tires on some dirt roads in my area and it got me hooked.
I wanted to explore, find the limits of the car (and myself) and all it did was impress me. This Impreza impressed me...(I'll get to the thread title in a second).

When browsing YouTube I've found Australia's best known YTchannel: 4WD 24-7 (4WD Action back then). The entire vibe of offroading, struggling on Aussies toughest tracks and the rewarding destinations those guys capture on camera opened up a whole other dimension for me.

I've been wrenching on (nineties) cars since I've got my drivers license as a hobby, improving road performance, lowering cars, changing engines, overall tuning for best handling on track. But this is the first time I've lifted a vehicle.
Using a pair of used struts of a Forester, combined with 40mm strutspacers gave me a 3" lift. Some off-brand M/T 215/75r15 (27") fitted on 2nd hand lower offset aluminum wheels really topped the cake.
View attachment 200011
The green stripes on the hood and side of the Subaru are used to identify foresters' cars in The Netherlands. So the pun 'Imprezzed Forester' only works here, but I'm not a forester. It's just the link with Subaru's other model 'Forester' that I like to refer to, seeing I'm using some parts of it.

Anyway, I've been to 4x4 events and it's there where I can really test the "rig". The Netherlands is very limited to go offroad as a lot of forestroads are prohibited to enter with any motorized vehicle, to preserve 'Hollands' scarce nature. So legally accessible roads are way to easy, they don't offer any challenge.
Generally, Subarus are disrespected as an offroader, which I get. It has its shortcomings.
But still I've got eyes on me at such events as they expect me to get stuck everywhere, which I don't. Doing this does helps me find the weak points and limitations, I'll memorize those and adapt the car to better handle these situations.

For almost 4 years I've been alone, lost my last two friends six, seven months ago and I'm not the type that is bonded with his family.
What I said about "opened a new dimension for me" meant that I want to go elsewhere.
I'm not a cityboy (who is, on this forum, really?), and I've always fealt attracted to Scandinavia.

Therefore I want to build my daily driver, this Impreza wagon in a way, I could 'survive' on my own. It feels like surviving already, but in a society that I'm not happy with. I love driving, riding at 4x4 events, but with the people I do those things, I never feel a connection as they are in another league.

I feel like I could just pack my things and head north, but I know my equipment is not ready so that is what is holding me back.

Really looking forward to see ideas about camping with just a car, DIY projects to be able to manage exactly that and generally just reading what others think about any aspect of overlanding.

-Jermaine
Welcome Jermaine,
I guess you were just looking at the wrong spots, somehow the Netherlands are the overlanding epicenter of Europe in terms of "scene" I'm personally from Germany but I know probably more overlanders from the Netherlands than from anywhere else.

I believe that @Robert OB 33/48 can give you a better overview as he is our European director.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

View attachment 200011

-Jermaine
Welcome to Overland Bound Jermaine
Your Regional Director is @Robert OB 33/48 for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

View attachment 200011

-Jermaine
Hello

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Facebook Groups

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event.

Greetings from Robert

Ohw and we have a drive this sunday, so come along and enjoy. See the rally point for details

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome Jermaine to the OB family

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Welcome from another Subaru addict! I've got 3 at the moment, and have had 3 others in the past. I've seen a number of cars like yours do some amazing things offroad. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to look up MtnRoo as well. It's an international group of offroad Subaru enthusiasts. There are a few Subie specific threads here as well. Great setup, and I hope you're able to find some guidance here, there are a lot of great ideas for living in your car, be it for a weekend, or indefinitely. Good luck with your adventure!