Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Hey all...this post is for anyone looking to get ideas for building their own Snorkel kit. Again, idea's only...what works on my rover may not work on your Toyota or Jeep or whatever you drive. Let me know if you have questions...A few of the items I already had in the shop...the rest I bought...did this for $60.00 and 2 hours of my time.

3 feet of 4" pvc pipe, 4" to 3" pipe adapter x2, 1-3" craftsman shop vac hose, 1 outdoor dryer vent, 1 bicycle inner tube, 1 spray can of Plasti-dip black rubber coating, 6" of 1/4" rubber hose, 1 small can of black pvc glue, 6" of 1/2" plastic ribbed wire protector, 1 small roll of metal strapping, 6 self tapping tech screws, 1 pair women's black stockings...that's pretty much it!Snorkel1.jpg snorkel2.jpg snorkel3.JPG snorkel4.JPG snorkel5.jpg snorkel6.JPG snorkel7.JPG snorkel8.JPG snorkel9.JPG
Snorkel1.jpg

Reactions: SLO Rob and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks for sharing. I work with most of that stuff every day. Never would have thought to do this. You got my gears turning now.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

That's awesome! How come more rigs don't have the lower snorkel body under the panel....

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

That's awesome! How come more rigs don't have the lower snorkel body under the panel....
That is a very good question...I do know that the series 1 LR Discovery's were designed that way and came with a precut 3" hole in either side to accommodate a Mantec snorkel kit, which were exclusively used by Land Rover in the Camel Trophy Races.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

3 feet of 4" pvc pipe, 4" to 3" pipe adapter x2, 1-3" craftsman shop vac hose, 1 outdoor dryer vent, 1 bicycle inner tube, 1 spray can of Plasti-dip black rubber coating, 6" of 1/4" rubber hose, 1 small can of black pvc glue, 6" of 1/2" plastic ribbed wire protector, 1 small roll of metal strapping, 6 self tapping tech screws, 1 pair women's black stockings...that's
1 pair of women's stockings??? Did you buy a pair or steal a pair? lol That's thinking out of the box

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Lmao!!!!! Stole them...from my wife, shhhhhhhh! LOL, the stockings are used as a dust filter. What's cool is they're reusable...just wash 'em.
hahaha I don't know if being environmentally friendly may justify it to the wife, but good luck!

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I would love a snorkel but every thing you can think of is in the way would not really matter all that much if the water gets to the intake I have the electrical will be drowned by then so would not really matter all that much.. Hummm women's stocking that may be worth a try I am guessing over the air intake.. they also make very good lightweight leg warmers if you have been in the military you know this trick already....