Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Yeah, I’m trying to find out who the groups are that wheel on Eglin Range. Coincidentally, I met a fellow veteran who lives in Navarre and wheels with Jeeps on the range. He basically shunned me for not having a Jeep. Oh well, I’ve owned two in the past. I’m indiscriminate, which is why I joined this forum.
That's because Jeepers desperately don't want to know that other vehicles might be equal to or better than a Jeep. My Bronco is good at rescuing and towing stuck jeeps. :sunglasses: BTW, do you know how to tune antennas? I'm going to need some advice/help when I get ready to do that. Won't be any time soon because my rig is currently in the paint shop and when I get it back I'll need to put it back together, bumpers, step nerfs, all the new rubber seals and then clean up the wiring circuits, etc.

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
That's because Jeepers desperately don't want to know that other vehicles might be equal to or better than a Jeep. My Bronco is good at rescuing and towing stuck jeeps. :sunglasses: BTW, do you know how to tune antennas? I'm going to need some advice/help when I get ready to do that. Won't be any time soon because my rig is currently in the paint shop and when I get it back I'll need to put it back together, bumpers, step nerfs, all the new rubber seals and then clean up the wiring circuits, etc.
Unfortunately I don’t, but I have a friend that might know. I’m still trying to figure out my antenna solution for my 400xdr. I’ve seen the Comet and Diamond antennas. My issue is that I don’t want to drill any holes on a brand new truck. From what I’m reading, the roof is the best place for a ground plane/reflecting signals. Makes sense, but I may have to compromise with a magnetic mount or hood/bed mount.

Reactions: velo47

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Unfortunately I don’t, but I have a friend that might know. I’m still trying to figure out my antenna solution for my 400xdr. I’ve seen the Comet and Diamond antennas. My issue is that I don’t want to drill any holes on a brand new truck. From what I’m reading, the roof is the best place for a ground plane/reflecting signals. Makes sense, but I may have to compromise with a magnetic mount or hood/bed mount.
The cap on my Bronco is fiberglass, so I installed an overhang over the back window (like all SUVs have these days) then I covered it and a large part of the end of the cap - 18"x 64" - with a steel ground plane and painted it to match the truck. Three antennas - CB, Ham (6ft whips) and AM/FM - were then attached to the steel overhang which was also connected to the main frame of the truck which now makes the entire truck part of the ground plane. I'm hoping that will give me high quality reception and broadcast. I did have a six foot high CB fiberglass antenna attached to the rear bumper. It worked but the range was lousy. I believe I still have it and I'll give it to you if you want it. You can at least do some testing with it.

If you're going to mount or have a suitable front bumper with a brush guard or tubing for mounting lights, think about mounting your antennas there, otherwise, magnetic mount do work and can get you to a convenient repeater.

Reactions: HazMatt79

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
The cap on my Bronco is fiberglass, so I installed an overhang over the back window (like all SUVs have these days) then I covered it and a large part of the end of the cap - 18"x 64" - with a steel ground plane and painted it to match the truck. Three antennas - CB, Ham (6ft whips) and AM/FM - were then attached to the steel overhang which was also connected to the main frame of the truck which now makes the entire truck part of the ground plane. I'm hoping that will give me high quality reception and broadcast. I did have a six foot high CB fiberglass antenna attached to the rear bumper. It worked but the range was lousy. I believe I still have it and I'll give it to you if you want it. You can at least do some testing with it.

If you're going to mount or have a suitable front bumper with a brush guard or tubing for mounting lights, think about mounting your antennas there, otherwise, magnetic mount do work and can get you to a convenient repeater.
Okay, yeah, I will take a look into that option. Thanks!

Cavman

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Menlo, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Law
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB4QXI
Try HamTestOnline.com for your course of study. It was suggested to be by some VEs in order to pass the Extra test.
John
KB4QXI

Reactions: Munga Brown

Emrejames

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Emre
Last Name
Remeta
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OES
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
Man I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. I did pay $3.99 for an app and it's very helpful. It was the only one that popped up, but I don't know if it's the only one. But there is also the ARRL web site where I downloaded a frrequency chart. They have lots of help and stuff!

• Sad
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
Man I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. I did pay $3.99 for an app and it's very helpful. It was the only one that popped up, but I don't know if it's the only one. But there is also the ARRL web site where I downloaded a frrequency chart. They have lots of help and stuff!
Go to the Overland Communications section of the forums and search around - you may or may not find the answers that you are seeking. Get to know the members who are active there - a really friendly group. If you don't find an answer that you are searching for post a topic.

As far as the radio goes, read the manual and cross reference terms there with interweb searches. It can take a while but it will start sticking.

Also youtube - I like "Ham Radio Crash Course" as he covers a gamut of topics from beginner to expert and is easy to watch.

Emrejames

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Emre
Last Name
Remeta
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OES
Go to the Overland Communications section of the forums and search around - you may or may not find the answers that you are seeking. Get to know the members who are active there - a really friendly group. If you don't find an answer that you are searching for post a topic.

As far as the radio goes, read the manual and cross reference terms there with interweb searches. It can take a while but it will start sticking.

Also youtube - I like "Ham Radio Crash Course" as he covers a gamut of topics from beginner to expert and is easy to watch.
Will do, thanks!

Cavman

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Menlo, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Law
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB4QXI
Take this course: HamTestOnline - Study for your Ham Radio License Exam
It helped me a lot. I couldn’t study using the book. It has an algorithm that helps you learn. It will also direct you to pages that explain what you are having problems learning.
I have a friend that is so untechnical he can’t change his truck’s oil. He went from nothing to Extra in two months.
Take care,
John
KB4QXI
VE

Reactions: PRyan1878

Emrejames

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Emre
Last Name
Remeta
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OES
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I also strongly recommend HamStudy.com along with Ham Radio Crash Course and Ham Radio 2.0. Ham Radio 2.0 has an awesome corse for taking the tech and general exams.

How to Get your Technicians License in 5 days

The first step is to apply (don’t know why the FCC uses that wordage when you are almost guaranteed to get it) for your FRN.

Next you need to find a testing location near you. Go to HamStudy.org and download the study app. While there, you can look up a testing session close to you for in person testing or fine a club hosting an online test. Remember online tests it doesn’t matter where you live, but you do fallow some strict testing guidelines.

Also I recommend becoming a member of the ARRL, although not required there are some perks like free paper print magazines and access to digital copies of all their magazines. The ARRL also sanctions most VE Testing here in the northwest. ARRL testing locations search Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

I highly recommend the YouTube Channel: Ham Radio 2.0. Jason does a great job explaining ham radio in words that everyone can understand. He has a couple of video series I highly recommend for getting started in the Amateur Radio Hobby.

8 Ways to get your Ham Radio License

8 Places To Take Your Ham Radio License Test TODAY! - Ham Radio Online and In-Person Testing

Technician License Study Series

Ham Radio Technician Class License Course and Test Prep, Part 1

Reactions: RoarinRow
D

Deleted member 21788

Take this course: HamTestOnline - Study for your Ham Radio License Exam
It helped me a lot. I couldn’t study using the book. It has an algorithm that helps you learn. It will also direct you to pages that explain what you are having problems learning.
I have a friend that is so untechnical he can’t change his truck’s oil. He went from nothing to Extra in two months.
Take care,
John
KB4QXI
VE
HamTest Online is what got me through General and Extra. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Lost Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
[/QUOTE]
Would definitely agree that, regardless of your preparation method, you've gotta just get your hands dirty until you reach that "aha" moment. Try something out, realize it was done incorrectly, make adjustments, try again – wash, rinse, repeat.
I just recived my licens two months ago and I did the raw memorize and pass method because I knew that I needed to get on the air and learn. My first (not my last) aha moment was on WIRES-X room etiquette. so confused with the pass it on stuff, now I know the value of writing down callsigns. Time to repeat and learn. My two cents to other new HAMs is to make contacts and ask questions. There is a great and helpful HAM community our there.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I just recived my licens two months ago and I did the raw memorize and pass method because I knew that I needed to get on the air and learn. My first (not my last) aha moment was on WIRES-X room etiquette. so confused with the pass it on stuff, now I know the value of writing down callsigns. Time to repeat and learn. My two cents to other new HAMs is to make contacts and ask questions. There is a great and helpful HAM community our there.
[/QUOTE]
In the technician exam there are several questions regarding keepIng logs. I have several notebooks filled with my logs... I don’t log everything I do on VHF, but I do log nets I participate in. In HF I log all contacts on both paper and digitally with Log Book of the World (mainly to help those contesting to get the credit they deserve even if I’m not participating in the contest directly).

Lost Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
In the technician exam there are several questions regarding keepIng logs. I have several notebooks filled with my logs... I don’t log everything I do on VHF, but I do log nets I participate in. In HF I log all contacts on both paper and digitally with Log Book of the World (mainly to help those contesting to get the credit they deserve even if I’m not participating in the contest directly).
[/QUOTE]
I just started looking a digital logs but for now it is a piece of scratch paper with incidental QSOs. I'll get my HAM life together one of these days. Just read up on the LoTW, So let me see if I get this right, if I log in LotW then my contacts can confirm their contacts?... Aha!!!

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Correct, LoTW confirms contacts IF both parties are logging via LoTW... or in the event a station is contesting when they submit their contest logs, the verifying official will check online in places like LoTW to verify the contact. If the contact can’t be verified, then the station doesn’t get credit for that QSO.

So for me all I am worried about is how far my signal is going out and how clearly a station can hear me. But the other station that is contesting is trying to make as many contacts within a short amount of time. If he wastes his time giving me a signal report he deserves the credit on his logs so the least I can do is submit my logs to be verified.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Correct, LoTW confirms contacts IF both parties are logging via LoTW... or in the event a station is contesting when they submit their contest logs, the verifying official will check online in places like LoTW to verify the contact. If the contact can’t be verified, then the station doesn’t get credit for that QSO.

So for me all I am worried about is how far my signal is going out and how clearly a station can hear me. But the other station that is contesting is trying to make as many contacts within a short amount of time. If he wastes his time giving me a signal report he deserves the credit on his logs so the least I can do is submit my logs to be verified.
If you're on Android (it may be on iOS too but I'm not sure), there's a decent app called Ham Logger that's worth checking out.