Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Bull
Last Name
Moose
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BFE
That's interesting. Should note DPRS is not APRS and just sort of pretends to be APRS. Not knocking it, but it is NOT APRS.

And not to complicate matters, but there's a hotspot out there now called OpenSpot3 that can piggyback off of your cell signal and be your digital repeater, so if you can muster a cell signal, you can transmit APRS or DPRS.

Hope all this ham radio nerd talk asn't complicated things too terribly much for the guy asking questions.

Ask more. Happy to help.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's interesting. Should note DPRS is not APRS and just sort of pretends to be APRS. Not knocking it, but it is NOT APRS.

And not to complicate matters, but there's a hotspot out there now called OpenSpot3 that can piggyback off of your cell signal and be your digital repeater, so if you can muster a cell signal, you can transmit APRS or DPRS.

Hope all this ham radio nerd talk asn't complicated things too terribly much for the guy asking questions.

Ask more. Happy to help.
This thread is over 3 years old

704D2662-A38D-4E67-B35A-4970F3212E3C.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
He didn't resurrect it, there has been activity on this thread off and on over those 3 years including a number of them from you last week.
That wasn’t my point... @BullMoose1776 said :

“Hope all this ham radio nerd talk wasn't complicated things too terribly much for the guy asking questions.”

So I was interjecting that I’m sure that the OP went ahead and got the Kenwood, and everything after is a moot point for the OP, and is just adding information to any one else looking into getting a radio.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

That wasn’t my point... @BullMoose1776 said :

“Hope all this ham radio nerd talk wasn't complicated things too terribly much for the guy asking questions.”

So I was interjecting that I’m sure that the OP went ahead and got the Kenwood, and everything after is a moot point for the OP, and is just adding information to any one else looking into getting a radio.
Alright well hopefully he took it that way as to me it seemed more like you were jumping down his throat for commenting/resurrecting an old thread which is a common occurrence on other forums. Since the thread wasn't buried due it's recent activity it's likely he didn't realize that it was that old and he had good intentions.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Alright well hopefully he took it that way as to me it seemed more like you were jumping down his throat for commenting/resurrecting an old thread which is a common occurrence on other forums. Since the thread wasn't buried due it's recent activity it's likely he didn't realize that it was that old and he had good intentions.
I agree. I wish the forum was like others I use where I can easily make a selective quote...

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Wildflower1

Rank II

Contributor III

Highland, UT, USA
First Name
Kirsten
Last Name
Skirvin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kn6nyq
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
I have just received my general license and started getting on the air. Getting your license is first and foremost. I then joined my local ham radio nets and the local ARES net. Each level of education helps you understand ham radio more. Like pealing an onion. So I would suggest you get your general at least and then sign up for the FEMA courses offered in ham radio and the courses offered by ARRL. Even if you have no interest in emergency ham radio service, the knowledge is valuable and helps you understand the world of ham radio. Remember never to transmit without a valid license.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I have just received my general license and started getting on the air. Getting your license is first and foremost. I then joined my local ham radio nets and the local ARES net. Each level of education helps you understand ham radio more. Like pealing an onion. So I would suggest you get your general at least and then sign up for the FEMA courses offered in ham radio and the courses offered by ARRL. Even if you have no interest in emergency ham radio service, the knowledge is valuable and helps you understand the world of ham radio. Remember never to transmit without a valid license.
Thanks Wildflower1. Before I purchased my radios over a year ago, I got my Tech License. My HAM Callsign is KM6ZPJ. I joined my local club, but now they're only meeting virtually and it seems, the majority of the members are super experienced old timers who are super tweeky with the art and don't really want to make time for a newby with digital tech. Both of my radios are complicated and I've about given up. I keep getting directed to read my manuals which is akin to reading techy speak which I don't. What I really need is someone who knows my radios. I was told at HRO that these are both great units that have a great deal of flexibility. I wanted that because I'm planning an extensive adventure and want comms on my trip. I keep hearing on YouTube on the Overlanding shows with guys like Ronnie Dahl that at least in Aussie, they seem to migrating over to UHF....since I got my license over a year ago, I've forgotten what that means. What I really need is an Elmer who wants to take the time to show me the ropes with my radios. I don't even know how to tune into any channels, so getting on local radio nets would be great if I could only get there. The entire process has been very frustrating to me. I spent a wad of dough on good stuff along with the cost of a professional install, and I can't use it.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Thanks Wildflower1. Before I purchased my radios over a year ago, I got my Tech License. My HAM Callsign is KM6ZPJ. I joined my local club, but now they're only meeting virtually and it seems, the majority of the members are super experienced old timers who are super tweeky with the art and don't really want to make time for a newby with digital tech. Both of my radios are complicated and I've about given up. I keep getting directed to read my manuals which is akin to reading techy speak which I don't. What I really need is someone who knows my radios. I was told at HRO that these are both great units that have a great deal of flexibility. I wanted that because I'm planning an extensive adventure and want comms on my trip. I keep hearing on YouTube on the Overlanding shows with guys like Ronnie Dahl that at least in Aussie, they seem to migrating over to UHF....since I got my license over a year ago, I've forgotten what that means. What I really need is an Elmer who wants to take the time to show me the ropes with my radios. I don't even know how to tune into any channels, so getting on local radio nets would be great if I could only get there. The entire process has been very frustrating to me. I spent a wad of dough on good stuff along with the cost of a professional install, and I can't use it.
When Ronnie Dahl talks about transitioning to UHF, he is talking about the equivalent of GMRS in the U.S. GMRS radios are great if you have have a group of people who are already set up with it but they don't give you the versatility that ham does.

For getting on nets, look up what is available in your area. You can plug in you zip code at repeaterbook and search repeaters in you area. Simply program into your radio: the receive frequency, the transmit offset, and the tone (PL) to open the repeater to talk and you are all set.

It seems complicated at first but once you get one repeater programmed into your radio, you will see that it isn't really bad at all. I didn't have a chance to scroll back and see which radios you have but there are a ton of good videos on Youtube that will walk you through the process of programming a repeater into most radios.

Take your time and don't get frustrated. If you have any specific questions or get stuck along the way, feel free to keep asking questions. That's the point of a forum like this.

cheers.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
When Ronnie Dahl talks about transitioning to UHF, he is talking about the equivalent of GMRS in the U.S. GMRS radios are great if you have have a group of people who are already set up with it but they don't give you the versatility that ham does.

For getting on nets, look up what is available in your area. You can plug in you zip code at repeaterbook and search repeaters in you area. Simply program into your radio: the receive frequency, the transmit offset, and the tone (PL) to open the repeater to talk and you are all set.

It seems complicated at first but once you get one repeater programmed into your radio, you will see that it isn't really bad at all. I didn't have a chance to scroll back and see which radios you have but there are a ton of good videos on Youtube that will walk you through the process of programming a repeater into most radios.

Take your time and don't get frustrated. If you have any specific questions or get stuck along the way, feel free to keep asking questions. That's the point of a forum like this.

cheers.
Thanks for the tips. Keep on truckin'!!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have the Uniden Cmx760. It’s a small radio with all the controls on the mic. Easy to tuck away...

Uniden CMX760 40-Channel Off-Road Compact CB Radio - Walmart.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thx for the link. Will keep it in mind. I also bookmarked the post. Read the reviews on Walmart's web-site. I liked the comments. Already did the downsizing to my Uniden 520 XL CB. I also did the MIDLAND 275 GMRS for exactly the same reason. The controls are in the mic, and as such, allow a smaller foot-print in my cockpit, which is my goal. Has your experience been as positive as the Walmart reviews?

I do not use my Uniden often, but having the option to keep the mic in the console is something I like when either not in use (clutter) or when in use. The mic info is also nice when either on the hwy at speed (safety), or rolling on bumpy trails where reading the terrain ahead is important while rolling.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Menu driven radios, ie all the modern ones, are a huge PITA. I agree, reading the manual is often an exercise in frustration. Watching video is very helpful in that regard.

what you might be encountering in the club is guys with older radios, so they really don’t know how to help. Overall in the hobb, I’ve found most willing to help when then can be beneficial.

Reactions: M Rose

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@TRED LYT

What radios are you trying to understand and use? I'm not an Elmer but I do translate Techie to English for a living so I might be able to help.

I suggest that we get you set up on Winlink EchoLink ( Introducing EchoLink ) so you can join the Friday Night Ham Radio net via your computer. (If you can use a Zoom call you can get up and running on Winlink EchoLink ) It has been hosted by @12poundtest and every other week or so the white Mtn repeater Network put on their own Net for Hams to ask any questions right after the OB net.

Learn more about the OB NET and upcoming topics at Friday Night HAM Radio NET

Boort

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@TRED LYT

What radios are you trying to understand and use? I'm not an Elmer but I do translate Techie to English for a living so I might be able to help.

I suggest that we get you set up on Winlink so you can join the Friday Night Ham Radio net via your computer. (If you can use a Zoom call you can get up and running on Winlink) It has been hosted by @12poundtest and every other week or so the white Mtn repeater Network put on thier own Net for Hams to ask any questions right after the OB net.

Boort
You mean Echolink... winlink is email server

Reactions: Boort

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Menu driven radios, ie all the modern ones, are a huge PITA. I agree, reading the manual is often an exercise in frustration. Watching video is very helpful in that regard.

what you might be encountering in the club is guys with older radios, so they really don’t know how to help. Overall in the hobb, I’ve found most willing to help when then can be beneficial.
I think you're right. What's further frustrating to me is the guys up at HRO, who sold the radios to me, won't help. They do the same thing and suggest going on line. I haven't been able to find video that's very helpful for the units I purchased. Feels kinda like I was sold a couple of unicorns!! When I make the time again, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Perhaps I was just too lazy looking for the easy way to get started, but man-o-man, didn't think I'd have to be a rocket scientist in addition to my becoming licensed!! Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Sparksalot

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
@TRED LYT

I suggest that we get you set up on Winlink EchoLink ( Introducing EchoLink ) so you can join the Friday Night Ham Radio net via your computer. (If you can use a Zoom call you can get up and running on Winlink EchoLink ) It has been hosted by @12poundtest and every other week or so the white Mtn repeater Network put on their own Net for Hams to ask any questions right after the OB net.

Boort
Hey Boort! Thanks for helping out. I'll listen in tonight if I can figure out how to get on EchoLink. I'm a Zoomer so it should be doable for me. I'll look at the EchoLink intro you sent and hopefully be able to listen in tonight. What time do they get cookin'?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I think you're right. What's further frustrating to me is the guys up at HRO, who sold the radios to me, won't help. They do the same thing and suggest going on line. I haven't been able to find video that's very helpful for the units I purchased. Feels kinda like I was sold a couple of unicorns!! When I make the time again, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Perhaps I was just too lazy looking for the easy way to get started, but man-o-man, didn't think I'd have to be a rocket scientist in addition to my becoming licensed!! Thanks for the input.
Field Day is coming up at the end of June. if your club is active at all, get out for that event. It will give you the chance to actually operate some radios, and get a feel for what things do, even if your is a little different. If you can, you might also take yours out to get some hands on tutoring.
I did Field Day a lot as a new ham, and it really helped me see what was out there, and how to operate it. of course with all these new fangled digital modes, I need to do that all over again. Hi hi.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hey Boort! Thanks for helping out. I'll listen in tonight if I can figure out how to get on EchoLink. I'm a Zoomer so it should be doable for me. I'll look at the EchoLink intro you sent and hopefully be able to listen in tonight. What time do they get cookin'?
@TRED LYT

The OB Net runs
FRIDAY EVENING between 17:30-18:30 MST

The WMRS Tech Roundtable I mentioned hosted by Larry K7RFX starts shortly after every other Friday including Tonight. Calendar is available at White Mountain Repeater Association
If you are having trouble getting the EchoLink software setup you can listen in to both NETs on White Mountain Repeater Association (Clickk the Play button in the controls at the top of the page) I think they also have a live stream still on at White Mountain Repeater Association Live Audio Feed as well.

I went looking for the YT video that I followed to get started
Windows:
Whlie searching I learned that there is also a Android Phone app which you may find helpful:

Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@TRED LYT

The OB Net runs
FRIDAY EVENING between 17:30-18:30 MST

The WMRS Tech Roundtable I mentioned hosted by Larry K7RFX starts shortly after every other Friday including Tonight. Calendar is available at White Mountain Repeater Association
If you are having trouble getting the EchoLink software setup you can listen in to both NETs on White Mountain Repeater Association (Clickk the Play button in the controls at the top of the page) I think they also have a live stream still on at White Mountain Repeater Association Live Audio Feed as well.

I went looking for the YT video that I followed to get started
Windows:
Whlie searching I learned that there is also a Android Phone app which you may find helpful:

Boort
Correction on time for the “Friday Night Ham Net”. It’s 17:30 Pacific time not Mountain time.