Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you're on Android (it may be on iOS too but I'm not sure), there's a decent app called Ham Logger that's worth checking out.
Thank you for this information. I have been thinking about an app based logger for when I start my SOTA and POTA activations next month.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Thank you for this information. I have been thinking about an app based logger for when I start my SOTA and POTA activations next month.
I bet that'd be super helpful to keep your gear load as light as possible. Particularly for SOTA.

It's very useful for me as I'm generally making contacts with a mobile unit in my car, so I just pull out my phone whenever I reach me destination and quickly make a log.

Reactions: M Rose

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Here is a great dual band rugged analog radio. For overland/trail use it’s perfect. There are plenty of radios with more features but this has everything you’ll need.

Icom 2730a

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here is a great dual band rugged analog radio. For overland/trail use it’s perfect. There are plenty of radios with more features but this has everything you’ll need.

Icom 2730a
I would disagree... no APRS, no TNC, FM only, can’t cross band repeat, only 50 watts...
if I’m going to limit myself to 50 Watts the Kenwood 710g for the bill for Overlanding a lot better... Does APRS and packet radio right out of the box (an adapter cable is needed for packet) cross band repeats, and does SSB and AM... and it’s dual band as well with a remote head unit...
The Yaesu FT400XDR is also a 50 watt dual band radio that is all mode with APRS, but requires a TNC to work packet.

Why do you want SSB on VHF? To work satellites while you’re stuck in that deep canyon and send that email or text out to get help.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army

Icom 2730a
I would disagree... no APRS, no TNC, FM only, can’t cross band repeat, only 50 watts...
if I’m going to limit myself to 50 Watts the Kenwood 710g for the bill for Overlanding a lot better... Does APRS and packet radio right out of the box (an adapter cable is needed for packet) cross band repeats, and does SSB and AM... and it’s dual band as well with a remote head unit...
The Yaesu FT400XDR is also a 50 watt dual band radio that is all mode with APRS, but requires a TNC to work packet.

Why do you want SSB on VHF? To work satellites while you’re stuck in that deep canyon and send that email or text out to get help.
I have owned a Kenwood D710ga it’s a great radio and does basically everything. Here’s the rub it’s nearly $600.

The Icom IC-2730 is $249 after the rebate.

Recommending a $600 radio to a new operator is a barrier to entry.

A vast majority of basic users will have one side set to a simplex and the other side on a local repeater. For trail use this is ideal.

It’s easy to upgrade later if one gets deeper into the hobby.

K2JTM

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have owned a Kenwood D710ga it’s a great radio and does basically everything. Here’s the rub it’s nearly $600.

A vast majority of basic users will have one side set to a simplex and the other side on a local repeater. For trail use this is ideal.

K2JTM
This!

ive been a ham for 30+ years. I have a 2730 in each car because of its flexibility. I also use it as repeater on one side and 52/46 on the other.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

..the Kenwood 710g for the bill for Overlanding a lot better... Does APRS and packet radio right out of the box (an adapter cable is needed for packet) cross band repeats, and does SSB and AM...
Are you sure about that?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

K2JTM
Deals can be had... buy used.

Trail Blazer I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7ZSA
any advice on what ham radio to buy for my truck?
looking at kenwood tm-d710ga?
I use a kenwood tm-d710ga in my Jeep. APRS works like a dream on one band and I usually download all repeaters for my route that I use on the other band. I also download all mining/forestry/trucking frequencies to monitor for industrial traffic on resource roads. Best be safe in the back country. Good luck with your research. 73 VE7ZSA

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I use a kenwood tm-d710ga in my Jeep. APRS works like a dream on one band and I usually download all repeaters for my route that I use on the other band. I also download all mining/forestry/trucking frequencies to monitor for industrial traffic on resource roads. Best be safe in the back country. Good luck with your research. 73 VE7ZSA
@Russel Robertson

What process do you use to find all of the stations along your route?
I used CHIRP to program my HT with the local repeaters and a handful of Simplex and Weather stations. In doing so I found it difficult find ones along a route. Is there a tool for this? Like where you enter your planned route and get a list of stations on your chosen bands that might be available?

Boort

Trail Blazer I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7ZSA
@Russel Robertson

I used CHIRP to program my HT with the local repeaters and a handful of Simplex and Weather stations. In doing so I found it difficult find ones along a route. Is there a tool for this? Like where you enter your planned route and get a list of stations on your chosen bands that might be available?

Boort
Here is a link for you RT Systems and RFinder Routing

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Russel Robertson

Boort
Chirp has the option to enter in states, city/town to import repeaters.

Reactions: Ubiety

BullMoose1776

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Bull
Last Name
Moose
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BFE
For $399 you can get into an Icom-5100, which has so much more functionality, including digital, DPRS, nearby repeaters scan (that updates the scanned list via gps as you move), cross-band repeat, touchscreen, etc.

If all someone wants is simplex, get a cheap HT. If you're getting a mobile radio, consider one with digital. Otherwise you'll just be talking to yourself.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For $399 you can get into an Icom-5100, which has so much more functionality, including digital, DPRS, nearby repeaters scan (that updates the scanned list via gps as you move), cross-band repeat, touchscreen, etc.

If all someone wants is simplex, get a cheap HT. If you're getting a mobile radio, consider one with digital. Otherwise you'll just be talking to yourself.
If your desire is to take advantage of "location services" outside of population centers then APRS looks like a better choice than DPRS as it has a far greater "infrastructure" for repeating and gating your location. At least in the Western US.

Coverage maps in this order: D-STAR repeaters from dstarinfo.com, APRS digis and gates from aprsdirect.com and aprs.fi. APRS maps filtered for digi and igates only.

1615805474622.png 1615805551517.png 1615805948848.png