Ham radio????

• You may have noticed, things have changed round here! If you would like more information about the recent changes, please visit this post:

Software & Migration Update

• Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!

Jimswpa

Rank I

Contributor I

Greensburg, PA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KB3MPZ
I've looked at the 857d and the new 891 for a while for mobile HF. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on one just yet though. The 2m side band of the 857 keeps it in the lead though. I love my 897, it was a dream radio and I got a nicely optioned specimen reasonably priced from a local who takes very good care of his gear.
I always liked running hf mobile when I drove long haul. I always wanted a screw driver antenna just never pulled the trigger on one. Tar Heel seams to be one of the better ones and I was not impressed with reviews on the yaesu screwdriver antenna even though the 857d has a controller for it all but built in. The next mobile hf radio I got was an alinco nice radio bad tech support.

Reactions: TerryD

NorCalDutch

Rank 0

Traveler II

NorCal
Member #

any advice on what ham radio to buy for my truck?
looking at kenwood tm-d710ga?
My yet to be completed truck has an ICOM 7100 installed but I havent played with it yet unable to review. My handhelds are Yaesu FT1XDR/DE jobbies. Solid but kinda pricey.

Reactions: wndywandrs

Retinens803

Rank IV

Advocate II

South Carolina, USA
Ham Callsign
KN4BMJ
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
Did you pass?

Dave Armstrong

Rank I

Traveler II

Utah, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7DOB
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
Funny, I Feel exactly the same. Have the equipment and no idea how to use it. Was hoping to find someone at a meet and greet or something similar where we could actually figure out how to use the stuff.

Retinens803

Rank IV

Advocate II

South Carolina, USA
Ham Callsign
KN4BMJ
Funny, I Feel exactly the same. Have the equipment and no idea how to use it. Was hoping to find someone at a meet and greet or something similar where we could actually figure out how to use the stuff.
Check the internet, Amateur radio clubs can typically found in most counties. They typically have equipment that you can learn on there in the club shack or they can teach you how to use what you have.

SashaLee

Rank I

Traveler II

Hi Brien & Ditcherman,

Thank you very much and this is exactly what I was hoping to get from our community. You guys are awesome! I’m going to do everything you said. Seems like that makes so much sense. I have been absolutely struggling and feeling so discouraged, but I think the best thing as you said, is to study the question pool using the tools your turned me onto, get my exam scheduled a few weeks out, study for a couple hours each day, get the apps to make it easy to access from where ever, take the practice test a bunch of times, etc... By the sound of it, it sounds like good ol’ fashioned college test cramming! I wasn’t a great test taker, so I’ll be memorizing the question pool for sure. This is great!! I’m sure many on this OB forum will greatly benefit from your advice here. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
So did you get your Technician License? I'm studying for mine now.