Ham radio????

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Blackbull_wk2

Rank I

Contributor I

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham Callsign
K4BJJ
I have a Kenwood th-d74a in the car with antenna mounted on the side of my rear trunk lift. Also, just take the test. Get a radio while you're studying, if you can. Listen, it will help you get familiar with you're radio and listen to on air traffic. That's what I did. Good luck! IMG_20190703_184938_938.jpegIMG_20190901_142749_546.jpeg

Wallygator

Rank II

Contributor III

USA
It looks like the closest testing place near me is 2 hours and 31 minutes. Is there a way to take this test remotely?

Cavman

Rank I

Contributor I

Menlo, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Law
Member #

Ham Callsign
KB4QXI
Try HamTestOnline.com for your study. It was recommended by some VE’s after I failed my Extra exam. WOW, I wished I knew about this website years ago. A non technical friend went from no license to the Extra License in two months!
The system uses an algorithm to help you learn the materials for each license.

PRyan1878

Rank II

Traveler III

Roselle, IL, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD9FMN
For those that are looking to get started in HAM radio, you can download the app HamRadioExam, you can get it for technician, General and Extra. One nice feature is that you can have it ask a question and have it hi-lite the correct answer and then only memorize the correct answer, don't even look at the wrong answers. But...You need to study the course book so you understand what ham radio is all about.

Reactions: Wallygator

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Influencer II

Wolfe City, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Only ones using ham uhf vhf radio in my area is the sherriff office and fire/ems. I scan through channels regularly and hear no one other than them. Even in highly trafficked offroad areas i never hear anyone on 146. 460. So ive never felt the need for a license since all i ever do is listen to so/fd, ems. Even frs/gmrs has dead airwaves Down here most use cb and no license needed for that.