Launch Member

Contributor III

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I have a Kenwood th-d74a in the car with antenna mounted on the side of my rear trunk lift. Also, just take the test. Get a radio while you're studying, if you can. Listen, it will help you get familiar with you're radio and listen to on air traffic. That's what I did. Good luck! IMG_20190703_184938_938.jpegIMG_20190901_142749_546.jpeg

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
It looks like the closest testing place near me is 2 hours and 31 minutes. Is there a way to take this test remotely?

Cavman

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Menlo, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Law
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB4QXI
Try HamTestOnline.com for your study. It was recommended by some VE’s after I failed my Extra exam. WOW, I wished I knew about this website years ago. A non technical friend went from no license to the Extra License in two months!
The system uses an algorithm to help you learn the materials for each license.

PRyan1878

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roselle, IL, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9FMN
For those that are looking to get started in HAM radio, you can download the app HamRadioExam, you can get it for technician, General and Extra. One nice feature is that you can have it ask a question and have it hi-lite the correct answer and then only memorize the correct answer, don't even look at the wrong answers. But...You need to study the course book so you understand what ham radio is all about.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Only ones using ham uhf vhf radio in my area is the sherriff office and fire/ems. I scan through channels regularly and hear no one other than them. Even in highly trafficked offroad areas i never hear anyone on 146. 460. So ive never felt the need for a license since all i ever do is listen to so/fd, ems. Even frs/gmrs has dead airwaves Down here most use cb and no license needed for that.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I just purchased and installed a Yaesu FT-897D ham radio for my rig. I have no idea how to use it. I'm taking the self study course and I feel totally lost. Anyone out there have any good ideas on how to learn how to use this darn thing? I know I have to get licensed with an amateur license first and then I'll try for my general license...but I gotta get past this stumbling block of getting started. I read all of this stuff about kids doing it. What the heck? I went to a good UC college and got a degree for heaven sake. I feel like such an idiot for not being able to grasp all of the stuff that needs to be known to get past first base!! So frustrating. I think the guys at HAM Radio Outlet got me the right gear, but it's useless to me right now. HELP! I think I'd be much better off getting together with someone to have them show me what all this means. Penny for your thoughts.....any tips out there?
Don't feel like the lone stranger. I have the same problem, but there's not a lot of Ham support in my little Florida town of Fort Walton Beach. I think my TYT 9000 radio can be configured for GMRS frequency channels, so I might try to get that done and use it until I am more familiar with it. I do have a CB installed as well.

Reactions: Rick 17Taco

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
I like the yaesu ft400. It has GPS tracking, wires and I think it has some fusion capability. Nice big screen too.View attachment 119585
Very nice! I should get my 400XDR on Monday. I have a Tundra as well, but can't mount mine where yours is because of the Safety Sense camera. I am thinking of installing it in the sunglass holder.

22Echo

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cedar Hill, TX 75104, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Wicker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5BDT
Very nice! I should get my 400XDR on Monday. I have a Tundra as well, but can't mount mine where yours is because of the Safety Sense camera. I am thinking of installing it in the sunglass holder.
Safety sense camera? I need to see what I'm missing...

Reactions: HazMatt79

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
Thanks, however, I'm in Florida but I might contact you for advice on getting my system set up at some point.
I’m in the FWB area as well. I’m just getting into the community both HAM and Overlanding. How is it around here? I take my technician exam Saturday.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I’m in the FWB area as well. I’m just getting into the community both HAM and Overlanding. How is it around here? I take my technician exam Saturday.
Cool. I have to get busy on that myself, but right now I have too many other things to do. There's not a lot of interesting Overlanding around here. I have gotten used to the idea of driving a day or so to get to someplace interesting... north of here. Besides, I like to fly fish for fresh water trout and do some camping along side, but that isn't found in the panhandle... unless you count salt water speckled trout. However, I did meet another new guy who joined up with a Jeep group in Panama City and they do a lot of wheeling on the AF reservation. I plan on calling him to find out when their next excursion is and tag along. I'll let you know what I find out.

Reactions: HazMatt79

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
Cool. I have to get busy on that myself, but right now I have too many other things to do. There's not a lot of interesting Overlanding around here. I have gotten used to the idea of driving a day or so to get to someplace interesting... north of here. Besides, I like to fly fish for fresh water trout and do some camping along side, but that isn't found in the panhandle... unless you count salt water speckled trout. However, I did meet another new guy who joined up with a Jeep group in Panama City and they do a lot of wheeling on the AF reservation. I plan on calling him to find out when their next excursion is and tag along. I'll let you know what I find out.
Yeah, I’m trying to find out who the groups are that wheel on Eglin Range. Coincidentally, I met a fellow veteran who lives in Navarre and wheels with Jeeps on the range. He basically shunned me for not having a Jeep. Oh well, I’ve owned two in the past. I’m indiscriminate, which is why I joined this forum.