Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Net night tonight! This will be my first time running it for a while so be gentle!

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: Improvised fixes to get you home when on the trail
Net Control
: Terry KT4OZ, Covington, Virginia
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks for joining the net Friday everyone! That was my first try at the helm in a while and I'm glad to report we all survived.

The topic was "Improvised fixes to get you home when on the trail" and I had a great time listening to everyone share their stories.

I look forward to talking to everyone again next weekend!

Check InCall SignNameLocationOB#Notes
1 ke6gvkMikesystem admin
2KI5BEECalvinTorontoI&O
3w7br BrentArizona13675Announcements: None. R1: Good to be back on the net, been MIA. Haven't had many troubles on the trail but had issue about a year ago with the Earthcruiser. DS Front tire rubbing, was alarming feeling. Needed repacked with grease to get home. R2: nothing to add, phone dying. Thanks to everyone for joining and participating. Going to be leading spring trip through the desert in May, get a hold of me on forum. Lost HF tower recently so off the air for the time being.
4kj7mfvMikeI&O
5n7phyEdWashington15391R1: Very fortunate to not have stories about broken down rigs but excited about topic. Made list of things in truck thanks to net conversation: Tire plug kit, portable air pump, tool kit put together, fire extinguisher, spare oil and filters. Maybe a little more prepared than he would have been. R2: Sorry to hear about Brent's tower, was a beautiful setup. Have had monstrous wind storms recently. Need to add bailing wire and welding rods to kit. Also JB Weld.
6kj7okeArizonaI&O
7k7xpoBrienArizona3553R1: Recently broke spindles on Turtleback trailer. Not a standard thing that will happen unless you have a trailer. Not an easy solution and had to have pieces brought in to swap it. More often folks have u-joints break. Tip: If you break a wheel joint in a SFA, you can pull the wheel and hub and remove the inner axle shaft and seal the tube to drive out. Longest distance driven like that was from Rural Mexico. Made it back to Tucson (~250 miles). Also handy is bailing wire. Used for numerous trail repairs, steering stabilizer, roof rack ladder, repairing cattle gates (to thank land owners), welding sticks and jumper cables for crude welding and tire patch kit. R2: Thought of something but escaped him. Nothing else to add.
8vk7vwkRandallTasmania5615R1: Thinking about repairs now. Lucky that haven't had to do anything. Might be lost with newest vehicles because classic repairs don't apply to it. In the past have done some repairs. Most interesting thing is accelerator cable broke and had to do interesting things with bits of cord and once even used brake cable from bike to make a repair to get home. (500 miles). R2: Moving on from emergency repairs (which we didn't have to do this last weekend), but a trip report. Went to west coast of Tasmania over reasonable amount of dirt roads and fire trails looking for placed to camp. Had a Defender that was running hot the whole trip but didn't have to make repairs. Was in remote area (6hr drive) and put pictures up on Tasmania thread. Not much off-roading but got picture of Nissan on the ferry.
9n1tewNealColorado12384R1: Been years since used Echolink. Used to do a lot of hard core rock crawling so been a part of a lot of fixes. At Windrock OHV, came on a fella who had rolled IH Scout off trail into the trees and buddies gave up on recovery. Had broken front axle joint and sheared off the ball joints and knuckle was off, brake line broken and radiator blown. Had to took up two winches to pull it up and use York compressor to reseat the bead, pinched off brake line and got radiator stopped leaking. Was a lot of fun to recover that vehicle. Has welded with alternator before as well. R2: Best part of that story is putting the knuckle back on and using ratchet strap to keep it together. For Overlanding events, XJ broke rear drive shaft. Pulled rear driveshaft and used a soda can to cover the tail shaft to hold fluids in and run in FWD home about 2 hours. Using mechanics wire/bailing wire to make repairs as well.
10kj7mfvMikeOr20990R1: Have all kinds of trail fixes. Called McGiver in all military units. Had 1st sergeant tell higher ups that Rose can fix about anything with a screw driver and bubblegum. Humvee sprung leak and driver went under hood and broke thermostat housing about 100 miles from any parts. Used JB weld to make a new one with a file and used a manila envelope for gasket. R2: Has used Neal's pop can trick on a NP231, kept breaking u-joints and had to throw the shaft in the back and drove it for 6-7 months till sold Jeep. Once had a spark plug wire burn up and had to use some 12Ga wire to get back out of the woods.
11n7bmhBrianIdahoR1: Audio really low R2:
12kc0pobChadR1: nothing heard

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hello folks! Just a reminder that tonight is Net Night! Hope everyone will join in and hopefully I'll have a topic for the net by then. hihi.

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: TBD
Net Control: Terry KT4OZ Covington, Va
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

Reactions: Techniq808

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Hopefully I won't have TX issues next week. I did listen in and got some ideas about running power to the back of my rig.

Reactions: Dusther210

Jdelpercio93

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Del Percio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8-SUM
Hey guys I’m sorry for the botched check in tonight I had technical difficulties trying to connect from the IPad since I wasn’t near a Repeater tonight. But awesome net! KD8-SUM

Reactions: M Rose
W

with_tyler

How is everyone connecting for the weekly net? The repeaters in my area for DMR aren’t open to add talk groups. I don’t have a nearby EchoLink repeater. I have the EchoLink APP but that kind of takes away the fun of the HAM license IMO.

Reactions: Danavision

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How is everyone connecting for the weekly net? The repeaters in my area for DMR aren’t open to add talk groups. I don’t have a nearby EchoLink repeater. I have the EchoLink APP but that kind of takes away the fun of the HAM license IMO.
When I do get on the net I use my SkyBridge. A PiSpot or OpenSpot would work as well. You would still need a DMR radio though.

By the way, I hear a new DMR repeater is going up on top of Mt Hood soon.

W

with_tyler

When I do get on the net I use my SkyBridge. A PiSpot or OpenSpot would work as well. You would still need a DMR radio though.

By the way, I hear a new DMR repeater is going up on top of Mt Hood soon.
My local repeaters are mostly SARDMR. Limited talk groups. I just order the stuff the make my own hotspot.

Reactions: 12poundtest