Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
We're going to connect up the University of Arizona repeater system up to the Net again tonight, so if any of you are in the Tucson area, you'll once again be able to join the net via RF! I'm going to make this a regular habbit and connect every Friday. I encourage anybody else who might have connections with other EchoLink enabled repeaters to consider connecting them up to the Net for Friday nights as well. It would be awesome if we could allow more and more people to join via RF each week.

University of Arizona Repeater:
K7UAZ 146.96(-) PL 127.3

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We're going to connect up the University of Arizona repeater system up to the Net again tonight, so if any of you are in the Tucson area, you'll once again be able to join the net via RF! I'm going to make this a regular habbit and connect every Friday. I encourage anybody else who might have connections with other EchoLink enabled repeaters to consider connecting them up to the Net for Friday nights as well. It would be awesome if we could allow more and more people to join via RF each week.

University of Arizona Repeater:
K7UAZ 146.96(-) PL 127.3
Kudos!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I got my license few months ago in Pasadena ca. And I do have a yeasu radio but don’t know how to join the group I am OB2601 . Would you guys guide me through please.
Look up Echolink for your computer or cell phone. sign up and there is a boot camp article on how it works. Once you have it set up then the info needed is on Rally Point. This is easiest for new ham to get on board. Thanks for checking in and look forward to hearing you on next NET. Brent W7BR

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Cross posting from the main Friday Night Ham Radio net thread....

Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tomorrow night. The topic this week will be your take on "Out of town in 20 minutes (or less)" Basically, how do you (or do you?) have your gear staged or stored for easy access and how long do you generally take to gear up and head out for a weekend or longer? I'm NOT looking to center the conversation along doomsday/SJHTF and we gotta bug out NOW lines, but with the Corona virus thing going on and seemingly gaining some traction, this might also be a timely discussion for anyone who hasn't put any planning into "What if?". As some of you know, I'm a retired LEO and currently work as an Investigator for a local Coroner's Office, so the public heath and safety angle has been something that's been discussed around the office a bit lately.

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73!

Shane, K5TIN

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Notes from the 2/28/20 Friday night net are posted in the main thread HERE

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Net tonight!

Tex.Proud

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
For those that use a Raspberry Pi hotspot running Pi-Star, there is a new version. v4.0 You cannot "Upgrade" from the GUI, but need to re-image the SD card and re-do settings from scratch. I don't yet know what the enhancements are, just that it's out and I updated with no visible changes.

Have fun upgrading! Pi-Star Downloads - pistar.uk
K4TXN

Reactions: Liana Lehua

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Friday Night Overland Bound Net coming up tomorrow night (or the next day in Australia) at 5:30p PDT, 8:30p EDT, and 00:30z on Echolink conference server 591550 the *USA-GNG* - USA Grits n' Gravy. Never used Echolink? Just download the app onto your portable device or computer (Windows or Mac - though you might need to open a port on your router - mobile devices are a lot easier), put in your ham callsign, connect, and look in the list of Conference Servers usually right at the top. You can also join through DMR talk group 1137550 or Allstar 41130.

This weeks topic: It's the first Friday of the month so that means it's The New Hams Net! :smiley: Always a popular net, this is a great time for any new hams to jump on in and get radio active! Get any and all of your questions answered or just check-in and say "Hi". Most of us are sequestered at home so break up the monotony and come join us! I'll be your net control.

If you can't get out and go overlanding right now, and you're getting restless, this might be a great time to consider looking into the HF side of amateur radio. Technicians do have some areas in the HF bands they can use. So if anyone has questions about how to get on HF we would be happy to offer suggestions. All it takes is a low power radio and a couple long wires to get started.

In any case all ham questions are fair game.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow night!!!

Ted WD6TED

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
There will be a weekly NET for all Overland Bound members who have a valid Ham license. This will be on Echolink conference node 591550 (USA-GNG), DMR talk group 1137550 and Allstar 41130 every Friday Night at 5:30pm PST
Can you tell me how that is mounted? Specific holder #?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Reactions: J.W.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Looks like a pretty standard RAM X-Grip.

I wanted to take the Guess work out of which specific size Small Medium Large etc....I have the same radio. I currently have it mounted to my Vector Bar with a 67Designs ball and arm. But this setup would allow me to stow it out of sight when not driving the Jeep.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Overland Bound Net Friday April 3, 2020

Net Control: WD6TED Ted Thompson OB# 13782

Topic: New Hams Net!

19 check-ins including NCS

1) KT4OZ - Terry - Covington VA - OB# 3710: He is homebound and working on his differentials and bent rear axle. Terry contributed to other subjects during the course of net.

2) K7XPO - Brien - Tuscon AZ - OB# 2553: Not much time with Ham Radio lately and has been stuck at home as well. He is thinking it would be a good time to start working on his digital transceiver kit that does FT-8 and other protocols. He is also working on the wiring harness in his rig.

3) KE8AYE - Jason - Fairfield OH - OB# 17839 - wanted info on where to find on-line ham exam sessions. Ed posted the following link: USA conducts first all-online ham radio exam | Southgate Amateur Radio News

4) NB9D - Neil - Somewhere off-grid in Maine - Minimal effect from the virus outbreak as they are in place at home riding out the winter and mud season.

5) K7KEG - David - Foothills outside of Tuscon - He is a full-time RVer and 4x4. Listening in on the Arizona repeater.

6) KI5BEE/VE3 - Calvin - Ontario Canada. Looking for suggestions for entry level radios for SOTA. Brien recommended QRP Labs QCX 5W CW transceiver kit. The Yaesu FT-857 is a very popular radio in the $500 - $1000 space. Welcome to Yaesu.com The Elecraft KX-2 and KX-3 are also very popular but are pricey KX-Line.
It wasn't brought up in the net, but the LNR Moutain Topper is also a very popular radio with SOTA people: https://www.lnrprecision.com/mountain-toppers/ The subject of antennas for SOTA was also brought up. The Par EndFez trail-friendly 10-20-40 is a very popular antenna Par EndFedz® EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly Sotabeams in the UK make a terrific 20-30-40 dipole that is very light and easy to setup and can be purchased through dxengineering Parts and Accessories
Additionally just two wires connected binding posts work just fine too.

7) W7BR - Brent - Olympia WA - OB# 2616 - uses a lot of portable antennas and really like the Scorpion antenna on his rig Scorpion Antennas . More info on that just contact him here on the forum.

8) VA2EEK - Don - Gatineau QC - Been working on DMR and feels he's got it down and is getting good at programing them. Uses an Anyone 868 (w/o bluetooth and APRS) and for SAR work uses the 578.
AnyTone Radios

9) KJ7KPP - Colton - Pocatello IN - was looking for suggestions on HF antennas for 160 - 10m. This of course lead to a lot of discussion. Brent likes the Maxconus off center fed dipole http://maxconus.com Terry really like the fan dipole that he built himself. I use a 71' "random" wire antenna with a Palomar-Engineers 9:1 UNUN Bullet End Fed 500/1500 Watt Antenna (1.8-61 MHz) - 55-203 FT I use the 71' version with a 52' and 2 12' counterpoise wires. The 53' was my own addition and runs directly under the main antenna. I use it for 80 - 10 meters and got out on 160m with it the other day (though it's not rated for that). An antenna tuner is a must with this sort of antenna. Will also mentioned getting the antenna app that runs on Android phones. He believes the best antenna for a new ham is one you built yourself. Ed found this link during the net and posted it:
https://kx3helper.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/endfed-antenna-info-sheet.pdf

N8MXG - Ron - Riverview MI - Nothing heard

KM4MAR - Chris - Stephens City VA - Just joined the net because he was on the Virginia repeater. Just enjoying listening in.

W8ILL - Bill - Taylor MI - see comments he made above.

KI5ING - Andrew - Pfugerville TX - Nothing heard

N7PHY - ED - Edmonds WA - Been ver busy with work so haven't done a lot of radio activity. He recently purchased the ICOM IC-9700 VHF/UHF and 1200MHz IC-9700 VHF/UHF Transceiver - Features - Icom America He also got new QSL cards (good for you Ed!).

KI7RAM - Bill - Reno NV - Nothing heard

VK7VWK - Randall - Tasmania Australia - Not a lot happening in radio recently. Just listening in.

KN4QMN - Jason - Blacksburg VA - Trying to study for his general license. Thinking of getting an Icom 7300 IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER - Features - Icom America He is also interested in getting into SOTA.

KC8FQV - Mark - Aurora OH - nothing heard

The net concluded at 19:03 PDT.

Thanks everyone for joining in this evening. It was a fun net!
Be well, stay safe, and BE HAPPY!

73 de WD6TED - Ted

Reactions: Liana Lehua

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Cross post from the Friday Night Ham Radio Net thread

Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. This will be an open topic and general how's everybody doing net, so just check in and tell us what's going on with you, what's on your mind (keep it rated PG please :grinning:) and how you've been keeping your sanity during all this craziness. Don't have anything to say? Just check in and say hi!

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73 de K5TIN

Reactions: MTN RNR

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Cross post from the Friday Night Ham Radio Net thread

Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. This will be an open topic and general how's everybody doing net, so just check in and tell us what's going on with you, what's on your mind (keep it rated PG please :grinning:) and how you've been keeping your sanity during all this craziness. Don't have anything to say? Just check in and say hi!

Until then...73 de K5TIN
Grits n Gravy keeps timing out on me. Dang it. I'll get my radio connected for the next one. I'll listen along on Broadcastify.