Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ok. A local club puts on classes a couple times a year and they normally do one class of license at a time. Get your tech, make friends with people in the club and get at least a little active is always my advice. There is more to ham than just using a radio. Spending time using your gear and working with Elmers will make you an effective communicator and the tech you pick up could come in handy.

Our club does a weekly net and there are nightly nets on the club repeater other groups put on. We have a business meeting every month with a tech session and an activity night where people bring in projects and gear we use and play with.

Some stuff crosses hobbies. Things like wiring, solar setups, and remote operation can all cross between the two and improve your enjoyment of both hobbies.

Reactions: Kent R

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I use HF/VHF/UHF in my rig. I have the Yaesu FT-817ND and a FTM-100D.

I use the HF side of the radio for Winlink operations.

In case you don't know what Winlink is. It is a way to send email using just your computer and radio. I love being able to send emails to my friends when I am on the trail. No internet needed!

If you want more information on Winlink just let me know.

Skip
Can you receive emails as well?

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Can you receive emails as well?

Yes you can! Just no big attachments like pictures or big files on HF. The connection time is too long. You can send and receive bigger files on vhf/UHF packet where you can use higher baud though. But for a simple check in, HF does a fine job. We have a weekly HF net in Virginia for winlink and our local club has played with it some on vhf packet and even some BBHN/AREDN.

Reactions: Skip and KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Cool.

I have been thinking of playing with some of the digital forms of ham communication. Maybe you or someone can start sept thread about what is involved in setting up a system for this.

For work I often use a private weather forecast service for specific location and events. I also volunteered to help with radio support for endurance races in remote locations (No cell service [emoji3][emoji106]). Some times we are in these locations for multiple days. Would love to find a way to push the forcast out to these locations.

Reactions: Skip and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
While that would possibly work if the emails are simply text without any imaging or links, I think you'd be better off to just program in the NOAA weather stations into your 2m radio. While not EXACT location, it'll give you an idea of the weather in your area and it'll be good across the US, no matter where you are.

The thing about the digital modes is there are way to many configurations to cover. Most guys on here are using basic hand held radios and while I'm idly working on a way to use them, I don't have it figured out yet.

There are books from the ARRL you can get that go into greater detail about the modes and what's needed to operate them.

What class license do you have? What radios? Something to consider is just having a station in cell service put out weather updates periodically through out the event. This would also help in disaster training as that could be very important information in any emergency and having people trained to handle that task would be a useful skill.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
While that would possibly work if the emails are simply text without any imaging or links, I think you'd be better off to just program in the NOAA weather stations into your 2m radio. While not EXACT location, it'll give you an idea of the weather in your area and it'll be good across the US, no matter where you are.

The thing about the digital modes is there are way to many configurations to cover. Most guys on here are using basic hand held radios and while I'm idly working on a way to use them, I don't have it figured out yet.

There are books from the ARRL you can get that go into greater detail about the modes and what's needed to operate them.

What class license do you have? What radios? Something to consider is just having a station in cell service put out weather updates periodically through out the event. This would also help in disaster training as that could be very important information in any emergency and having people trained to handle that task would be a useful skill.
Yea. I already do the NOAA stuff and am a skywarn spotter. The for cast we use for work are specific to a particular location and go out several days. We have found them to be extremely accurate. The forcast put out by NOAA are general in nature for a larger area. Nothing wrong with what NOAA but this is forecasting on much different level than NOAA can provide to the general public.

We have done a weather watch relay station befor if weather is going to be a potential issue. The question is more academic anything.

As for class of radio, I have my general so the HF thing is fun. The only digital type of made I have played with has been APRS. You are right in that there are so many options and ideas on how to do lots of things. That is part of the fun right?

I am running a Yaesu 857 for my mobile so there are lots of options there. I'll keep resurching. With all the new digital modes out there now I see lots of potential. Until then we can still keep on calling out CQ and keep on talking the old fashioned ways. [emoji41] [emoji106]

Cool.

I have been thinking of playing with some of the digital forms of ham communication. Maybe you or someone can start sept thread about what is involved in setting up a system for this.

For work I often use a private weather forecast service for specific location and events. I also volunteered to help with radio support for endurance races in remote locations (No cell service [emoji3][emoji106]). Some times we are in these locations for multiple days. Would love to find a way to push the forcast out to these locations.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
With the 857d, I would recommend the Rig Blaster Plug n play. I have it to go worth my 897d and I really like that its not VOX keyed like the signalink usb I have in my shack right now. Nothing wrong with the signalink, it works good as well, I'm just not a fan of VOX keying.

You can also get the CAT control cable that plugs into the PnP and shares a usb port. With my signalink I have to have the separate RT Systems cable to do the rig control.

Both work fine and I have both. The PnP I use for portable and will probably wind up in the Xterra if I get a 857d or 891 for it.

Reactions: KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
The 857 has been great for my Xterra. Great for Mountain Topping. ️

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The 857 has been great for my Xterra. Great for Mountain Topping. ️

The FT897d was my "dream rig" from the time I for on HF a couple years ago. I got a killer deal in this one with the LDG tuner, RT systems cable, rig blaster, and DTMF mic from a ham locally that was updating his recording studio.

For the Xterra, I've been considering the 857, 891, and the Kenwood TS480SAT with the built in tuner. I have a quad band so the uhf/vhf of the 857 is redundant, but I'd be giving you those bands on side band.

Reactions: ryanb

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have an 897 as well. Thing I did is set them up the same with memories and programs buttons on the mic. That way it is rather seamless going back and forth. I have been thinking of putting my dual band UHF/VHF back in the Xterra. It would make some of the service event operations. Then take the 857's UFH/VHF side and use it for digital modes like APRS or maybe something like Winlink.

I am really not the kind of guy too load up with lots of crazy radio stuff with the big Antenna farm on the roof but I don't see giving up on doing HF mobile.

WheresWaldo

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles, CA
Member #

I use HF/VHF/UHF in my rig. I have the Yaesu FT-817ND and a FTM-100D.

I use the HF side of the radio for Winlink operations.

In case you don't know what Winlink is. It is a way to send email using just your computer and radio. I love being able to send emails to my friends when I am on the trail. No internet needed!

If you want more information on Winlink just let me know.

Skip
Winlink from the trail? Very cool! Doesn't that require lugging a lot of equipment around? Do you have it permanently installed in your rig?

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
In addition to HF, VHF and UHF, I run a SDR connected to my Android based car radio. This allows me to also monitor ADS-B aircraft traffic and pretty much anything else within the SDR's frequency range (60Mhz-~1600Mhz). I also run a scanner for public service/civil emergency services as well as aircraft emergency frequencies. Looks like rolling antenna farm... 8>D

de KL7JKC

manualhydra27

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver
Member #

I'm told that half wave antennas aren't as reliant on a ground plane so that's what I picked. The one by the window is CB and it doesn't like being there. Good enough for trail and convoy comms though. The dual band antenna on my bumper let's me hit with 5 watts and hear repeaters 15 and 18 miles away clear as day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
What dual band antenna are you running on your front bumper? It doesn’t look super long so I can fit my x in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
What dual band antenna are you running on your front bumper? It doesn’t look super long so I can fit my x in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
This is a Diamond NR770H Specifically the black instead of chrome one with an NMO mount so NR770HBNMO. It's just under 40 inches long and works great for me. Not quite as much gain as a properly installed 5/8th wave antenna but plenty when you are dealing with most repeaters.
https://www.diamondantenna.net/nr770hbnmo.html

Reactions: manualhydra27

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
This is a Diamond NR770H Specifically the black instead of chrome one with an NMO mount so NR770HBNMO. It's just under 40 inches long and works great for me. Not quite as much gain as a properly installed 5/8th wave antenna but plenty when you are dealing with most repeaters.
https://www.diamondantenna.net/nr770hbnmo.html
I've had two of those on my rig. They are great antennas. Very forgiving if you don't have a good ground plain. The folding design is very handy for parking garages.

Had to give up on them though. For me they are two stiff which makes them easy to break.

If you are not doing a bunch of bush waking type of exploring I would recommend these to anyone.

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Do you guys run any laptops or ipads from your rig? If so, what type of internet connection do you have?? What do you use to mount it? Do you run your GPS from it, or how do you setup your GPS?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Do you guys run any laptops or ipads from your rig? If so, what type of internet connection do you have?? What do you use to mount it? Do you run your GPS from it, or how do you setup your GPS?
My iPad has cellular service built it, but to ensure that can reach some sort of cell service, I have the Weboot Reach device. It is a cell phone booster. Came with a small magnet antenna that I mounted on roof and ran into the cab. The cell phone booster has one end of the amplifier cord/antenna next to my cell phone so I can always get the strongest signal to that device. Then I can run whatever GPS map app such as GAIA, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc. and mirror to my Apple Car Play screen.

If I didn't have the Apple Car Play screen, then I would just look at map on my iPad, which I have an iPad seat post mount/goose neck. I have my Ham Radio on top of my dash cause I just don't have any other real estate on my rig.

Reactions: 06hyperion

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I use an Android tablet in my Jeep for nav and APRS. I use the same Android tablet with my radio, either to log contacts or for digital (PSK31/RTTY/SSTV) It has GPS but I don't use it outside of the APRS.

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
My iPad has cellular service built it, but to ensure that can reach some sort of cell service, I have the Weboot Reach device. It is a cell phone booster. Came with a small magnet antenna that I mounted on roof and ran into the cab. The cell phone booster has one end of the amplifier cord/antenna next to my cell phone so I can always get the strongest signal to that device. Then I can run whatever GPS map app such as GAIA, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc. and mirror to my Apple Car Play screen.

If I didn't have the Apple Car Play screen, then I would just look at map on my iPad, which I have an iPad seat post mount/goose neck. I have my Ham Radio on top of my dash cause I just don't have any other real estate on my rig.
Pretty cool.. Just saw the Ob review of it on youtube, looks helpful. What if theres no signal? Any sat com?