Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Can you use a fire stick for a
VHF/Ham Radio?
Or would you recommend getting something like a Comet Original antenna instead?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Firestick makes a Ham antenna. You can’t use a CB version for Ham.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Brian KM4KIS

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Jasper, TN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hudson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4KIS/G
Service Branch
US Navy Submarines
ICOM IC-7100 All band/All mode transceiver

View attachment 33720

Head unit

View attachment 33721

Main Unit with other electrical goodies

As for antennas

A dual bander VHF/UHF

And ICOM AH-4 mated with a whip that will tune from 40m to 6m ham radio bands + 11m CB radio

View attachment 33722

My rig but the whip was removed but you can see the spring
Good to see someone else running a 7100. I've enjoyed mine. I added a TM-D710GA for local comms/APRS when our club handles events or emergencies. Nice for the EOC to be able to see my location and they can also send messages direct rather than tying up time on the net.

This setup evolved without overlanding in mind, so I do need to re-think antenna size & placement. But this weekend we were out camping and while local 2m/70cm comms were completely gone, I was listening in on the Puerto Rico nets. That's the real reason I got into ham radio and especially HF in the first place. Knowing I can probably reach someone somewhere no matter what is a big comfort for me.

Not pictured are a Midland 75-822 HT and a Tytera MD-390 DMR HT with GPS. I like to be covered for whatever other people show up with.

20170807_064138 copy.jpg
IMG_20170512_164040 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Jet_Pack_Jesus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bremerton, WA
Member #

hey guys i just pasted my tech ham test and am looking for some gear. no call sign yet but will update when i get it. looking for a yaesu ft-857d and a good HT to go with it. any leads would be appreciated or if you have a better recommendations i would also take them.

Reactions: RyanC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
hey guys i just pasted my tech ham test and am looking for some gear. no call sign yet but will update when i get it. looking for a yaesu ft-857d and a good HT to go with it. any leads would be appreciated or if you have a better recommendations i would also take them.
Congratulations! You almost can't chip wrong with anything from the big 3, Kenwood, Icom, and Yeasu. When i started off I got a cheap Baofeng UV5R and a better antenna. Cost me about $35 and it got me on the air while i continued learning about the things you can do with your new license.

Things to look into now is do you need dual band or just 2m or 70cm? Do you want some kind of digital communications? If so, which one? The digital modes are usually mutually exclusive. Cross band repeat? Only a few radios do that, and you have to be careful how you use it to stay legal. How about APRS? Built in or external GPS? Packet radio?

Amature Radio is a more amazing and expansive world than I knew when I first got into it. I hope you enjoy it!

73, K1RAC

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TerryD

Jet_Pack_Jesus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bremerton, WA
Member #

i would like a built in gps. Aprs is the gps locating right? i mean im sure its more then that but thats what i would use it for. so many abbreviation. duel would be nice for the truck 2m, 70cm is fine for HT. repeat would be nice if it works like a home repeater. so if im hiking i can hit the truck then the truck can send it out at a higher watt for greater reach and on a better frequency

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
i would like a built in gps. Aprs is the gps locating right? i mean im sure its more then that but thats what i would use it for. so many abbreviation. duel would be nice for the truck 2m, 70cm is fine for HT. repeat would be nice if it works like a home repeater. so if im hiking i can hit the truck then the truck can send it out at a higher watt for greater reach and on a better frequency
The Kenwood TM-D710GA does all of those things, but you pay for it in price. A quick look shows it between $600 and $650 most places. The TM-V71A does everything except GPS and APRS for much less, around $335 seems to be the going rate right now.

The Yeasu FTM-400 should also do everything, and it has their Fusion digital radio too for around $560.

Look around. EHam is a great place for real radio reviews. http://www.eham.net/reviews/

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Jet... are you planning on upgrading to at least a General license? If not that is a lot of radio. There's nothing wrong with having 10m and 6m, but other than that there is a lot of frequency capability that will go un-used. Right now the IC-7100 has a $200 mail in rebate which in the end makes it $30 cheaper than the 857D and it's touch screen with D-star.

Welcome to the world of amateur radio.

Warhorse

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas Oregon
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Gaither
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7SBN
Nice discussion. I am studying for my HAM right now. Will a front fender mount antenna interfere with radio or CB's? Really don't want to drill through my cab for roof mount......lol.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I'm told that half wave antennas aren't as reliant on a ground plane so that's what I picked. The one by the window is CB and it doesn't like being there. Good enough for trail and convoy comms though. The dual band antenna on my bumper let's me hit with 5 watts and hear repeaters 15 and 18 miles away clear as day.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Will a front fender mount antenna interfere with radio or CB's? Really don't want to drill through my cab for roof mount......lol.
If transmitting on 2m with enough power it may desense your AM/FM radio. Shouldn't bother the CB at all. I run a fender mount on the driver side on one of my XJs.

Skip

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
First Name
Skip
Last Name
Sandy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5LJJ
I use HF/VHF/UHF in my rig. I have the Yaesu FT-817ND and a FTM-100D.

I use the HF side of the radio for Winlink operations.

In case you don't know what Winlink is. It is a way to send email using just your computer and radio. I love being able to send emails to my friends when I am on the trail. No internet needed!

If you want more information on Winlink just let me know.

Skip

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Looking at replacing my BTECH radio with a Yaesu FT-857D with ATAS-120A on a Comet HD-5M mount on the back of Ruby.

* Opinions on this setup?
* Anybody else have installed an ATAS-120A on a Wrangler 2-door?

Thanks for any feedback!