Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Pretty cool.. Just saw the Ob review of it on youtube, looks helpful. What if theres no signal? Any sat com?
Yup for sat comm I have a Garmin Inreach Mini and only activate the subscription when I go on a trip. At that point I'd just use it to keep in touch with family and friends. I'd hope that I could reach a repeater to extend my Ham comms.

Reactions: 06hyperion

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Do you guys run any laptops or ipads from your rig? If so, what type of internet connection do you have?? What do you use to mount it? Do you run your GPS from it, or how do you setup your GPS?
I run an Android tablet as well. I use it with APRSdroid liked to Back Country Navigator. This allows me to run topo maps offline and superimpose APRS info over top of the maps. I just hooked up the tablet to a handheld Kenwood with a cable and APRS can transmit over the air and does not need a separate TNC. This means I can run the preloaded maps and APRS totally off the grid with no cell coverage.

Reactions: 06hyperion

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Do you guys run any laptops or ipads from your rig? If so, what type of internet connection do you have?? What do you use to mount it? Do you run your GPS from it, or how do you setup your GPS?
I run an Android tablet as well. I use it with APRSdroid liked to Back Country Navigator. This allows me to run topo maps offline and superimpose APRS info over top of the maps. I just hooked up the tablet to a handheld Kenwood with a cable and APRS can transmit over the air and does not need a separate TNC. This means I can run the preloaded maps and APRS totally off the grid with no cell coverage.
Which cable? I wonder if i can run my laptop like that.

Maggie1128

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Maggie
Last Name
Donovan
Member #

I use an iPad mini 4 for all of my navigation app’s mostly I use Gaia. I have my CB mike and phone mounted on Ram mounts I also have my ham radio mounted on an after market bracket but I can’t remember who made it. My iPad has cellular data but usually I download maps before hand because being off road has poor connection.

Last edited: