Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
yeah, that's not what I want. Actually, I already have a pair of steps that came with the truck (Off-Road package). I've already got the monkeys in the brain tossing around ideas for sliders. However, they'll have to wait till summer, no room in the garage for building right now.
I like the idea of removable steps for off road, that's a smart idea. Wish we were closer so we could thrash ideas and help each other. Be careful with those good ideas, they could be a valuable asset in the off road market.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So, are you saying the frames on the Toyotas are different than the frames on the Chevy trucks?
I don't know how the new frames are built but
@MidOH is right if the frame rail is a [ channel frame. Boxed [] frames are stronger and resist twisting and bending. The best skid bar mount would be built like a sling shot (Y), mounting on both top and bottom of a boxed frame. Most body mount frame extensions are this design. I'm pretty sure toyota frames are built this way as are land rovers.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

yeah, that's not what I want. Actually, I already have a pair of steps that came with the truck (Off-Road package). I've already got the monkeys in the brain tossing around ideas for sliders. However, they'll have to wait till summer, no room in the garage for building right now.

well, well. Some room just freed up in the garage. I just sold my KTM 500 EXC. So, in a couple of weeks I hope to make it down to HF to pickup a Vulcan welder. They are having a clearance sale that I hope to capitalize on with a great deal.... I Hope.

Mattcrouch1502

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Crouch
I am new to the board, here is my project its a, 1991 Chevy V3500, '94 12V Cummins, '98 NV4500, BW4401, '08 Dana Super 60 (front) Spicer 110 (rear), MRAP wheels w/ 395 Goodyear MVT. Currently it is down for the winter swapping in the bigger axles, these are from a '08 F550, I am working on setting up the front 4 link right now. The plan is to outfit the interior of the box for sleeping and storage, the side boxes will provide more storage for tools, cooking equipment, recovery gear, ect.

20191229_140437.jpg20191230_145506.jpg

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Damn, that thing is a beast!!! Be sure to post pics of the finished project.

I have no choice but to have a full sized rig, based on my height. Not that I'm complaining... I LOVE my van & will be perfectly happy with what ever the limitations are, as I'll be doing it all comfortably.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I am new to the board, here is my project its a, 1991 Chevy V3500, '94 12V Cummins, '98 NV4500, BW4401, '08 Dana Super 60 (front) Spicer 110 (rear), MRAP wheels w/ 395 Goodyear MVT. Currently it is down for the winter swapping in the bigger axles, these are from a '08 F550, I am working on setting up the front 4 link right now. The plan is to outfit the interior of the box for sleeping and storage, the side boxes will provide more storage for tools, cooking equipment, recovery gear, ect.

View attachment 134669View attachment 134670
Wow, you have your hands full on this one. Are you gonna add half tracks too :-) When I was younger I loved projects like yours and this makes me wanna be young again. I'd still do it if my body would let me. All I can say is have fun and hope to see you out there before too long. Tough ass truck !

Reactions: Wile_Coyote

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

I have no choice but to have a full sized rig, based on my height. Not that I'm complaining... I LOVE my van & will be perfectly happy with what ever the limitations are, as I'll be doing it all comfortably.
No, you cant complain, you have a great rig yourself. Atta boy Glen

Reactions: HIALT2D

Mattcrouch1502

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Crouch

Thanks! Your van looks awesome, build what works for you! I will definitely update my build thread!

Wow, you have your hands full on this one. Are you gonna add half tracks too :-) When I was younger I loved projects like yours and this makes me wanna be young again. I'd still do it if my body would let me. All I can say is have fun and hope to see you out there before too long. Tough ass truck !
Lol! Thanks, I hope to have it back on the road pretty soon!

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

View attachment 134669View attachment 134670
Ok, I gotta ask.

I really think this is a super cool project, and certainly a one-off rig that is unique. However, if you ever have an issue with a tire, where are you going to get another MRAP wheel?
Why go with MRAP wheels? Other than the super cool factor, and loads of ground clearance.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ok, I gotta ask.

I really think this is a super cool project, and certainly a one-off rig that is unique. However, if you ever have an issue with a tire, where are you going to get another MRAP wheel?
Why go with MRAP wheels? Other than the super cool factor, and loads of ground clearance.
Government surplus has plenty of these wheels for dirt cheap.

Reactions: Wile_Coyote

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign