Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Ohhh I like the box, basket, and awning setup. Is that a Yakima box too? If so what size? I have the full Yakima Mega Load Warrior basket, which is taking a lot of real estate.
No, It’s a Thule Box and can’t remember the number. I believe it’s about 24” wide and I’m guessing 5’ long. That’s where I started, then the ARB Awning and then the Yakima Skinny Warrior I believe it was called! It all works out really well for my rig and thank you for the compliment. Happy Trails!

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
No, It’s a Thule Box and can’t remember the number. I believe it’s about 24” wide and I’m guessing 5’ long. That’s where I started, then the ARB Awning and then the Yakima Skinny Warrior I believe it was called! It all works out really well for my rig and thank you for the compliment. Happy Trails!
Thanks I'll need to think about this configuration for next time..

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
I've got a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 4x4. Just recently added the KB VooDoo Rack to the bed and put a Hi Vis Overland Crag2 on it. I have 275/70/18 BFGoodrich KO2's with a leveling kit. I just ordered and received my Decked system for the bed of the truck, so that will be installed this week sometime. View attachment 113965View attachment 113966View attachment 113968
Wow, what a beautiful setup on your rig. Not a Chevy guy myself but you have a nice looking truck.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I was able to get my Carli suspension installed just before Overland Expo West. Here's how I'm looking now. I was able to do the Range Rover trail course in my truck, lame but still fun. Front bumper is next, eventually ;P
Perfect fit, with the F350 sitting on the Carli system. Is that the PinTop? My only regret is having my F250, love the Pintop but now I have to think about weight. I am jealous! JK Great vehicle. what is the name brand on the box in the bed? I am looking for something like your setup.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Air down with the smallest wheels, biggest tires, possible. Consider wheels too narrow for recommend street use, of off road tires as well.
Disco the sway bars.

Get the firmest stiffest shocks available. ''But waa, makes ride stiffer.'' Then you can reduce spring rate. Coils are cheap up front, Deavers in the rear.....not so much.

You have to soak up bumps, and have very limited travel to do so. Cheap way, is stiff progressive springs and worthless shocks. Expensive way, is $1000+ a piece shocks and correct softer springs. Obviously stiff rear springs for towing/hauling mess that up. You'll need extremely firm reboumd in the rear to compensate for it.

Comp adjusters are near useless. Bypass shocks don't work effectively on pickups due to such low amounts of travel and the heavy weight chassis. Get the biggest Kings that you can afford, and the tools to valve them yourself. Accutune, and Filthy Motorsports can get you really close though.

Consider mild lifts that increase suspension travel a hair.

Consider softer bump stops.
DITTO on your suggestions. I run Carli Pintop on my F250. great ride but $$$ to make it happen. The only issue would be you lose some of your capacity weight load unless you add the airbags for the Carli. However, you nailed the direction to help this OB member. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: MidOH

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yup the Wilco is the one I ordered. Not sure when it will be shipped. I need my truck bed space back.
Great choice IMHO, I have the offset Wilco tire carrier on my F250. No problems once I got it loaded with my 37". Swings out to allow access to the bed.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Great choice IMHO, I have the offset Wilco tire carrier on my F250. No problems once I got it loaded with my 37". Swings out to allow access to the bed.
Thanks Kevin, yeah I've been using the carrier for a couple of weeks now. It's definitely peace of mind that I have my 35" spare in an easy to get to location. It's just an extra step to get into the bed of the truck, but that's ok. Did you get any extra accessories like RotoPak, License Plate relocation, etc.?

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
I've got a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 4x4. Just recently added the KB VooDoo Rack to the bed and put a Hi Vis Overland Crag2 on it. I have 275/70/18 BFGoodrich KO2's with a leveling kit. I just ordered and received my Decked system for the bed of the truck, so that will be installed this week sometime. View attachment 113965
Thats a great setup, looking for something similar. What Offset are you running on your wheels?

Reactions: JButtress

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
You have pics of the Front Runner Bed Rack and RTT on top?
I've been looking at racks and sorta of waffling between a rack and a DiamondBack HD cover.
Here are the pics of the front runner rack and Smittybilt Overlander XL tent mounted up. I have about 9 or 10 inches of space above the bed rails. The tent rides right at the roof line so I don't notice any issues driving or sounds that come from it.

The front runner rack I got was the 1475mm wide x 1560mm long. It covers just about the entire bed and provides a little security for bigger items like storage bins if I lock the tailgate as well. Here is the link: Pickup Truck Slimline II Load Bed Rack Kit / 1475(W) x 1560(L) - by Front Runner

Also running the rough country 2in level, 17x8.5 American Outlaw Lonestar Wheels with -10 Offset and 33x12.50r17 Milestar Patagonia M/T tires. Surprisingly the tires don't rub. I have to crank them all the way and hold it, then go over a bump for them to briefly hit the inner fender in the back. No rub in the front of the fender at all. I did take the valence(splitter) off of the front bumper which might have helped a little.

Attachments

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Looks like you have the SmittyBuilt XL tent. I was also looking at this one too. My current plan, I think, is to get a DiamondBack HD bed cover, then build up a rack on top that will clear 5-Gallon gas cans, and allow me to still use my rear view mirror.

Reactions: Mike harpe

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks Kevin, yeah I've been using the carrier for a couple of weeks now. It's definitely peace of mind that I have my 35" spare in an easy to get to location. It's just an extra step to get into the bed of the truck, but that's ok. Did you get any extra accessories like RotoPak, License Plate relocation, etc.?
Thanks, to answer your question's Yes, I did get two of the Roto Pax and also the license plate relocation kit. The Pax's screwed right into the main bracket and did not need to use Roto Pax mount, the License plate relocate Is some stout plate that can take some abuse. I kept hearing something dragging when coming out of a hole and finally realized the plate was dragging. It's located on the hitch pin insert with a bolt but it takes up the ability to connect my hitch to anything unless relocating of plate mount. They make some of the best addons for durability. speaking from an Army Engineer perspective.
You will need to get the light kit they sell also $$ to insure you comply with law for your area.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thats a great setup, looking for something similar. What Offset are you running on your wheels?
Sorry it too this long to answer, but I have Method MR701 17" / width 8.5 / Offset 0MM. I did not want them to stick out too far but still has agressive look. I went with the Carli test vehicle for the Pintop suspension.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks, to answer your question's Yes, I did get two of the Roto Pax and also the license plate relocation kit. The Pax's screwed right into the main bracket and did not need to use Roto Pax mount, the License plate relocate Is some stout plate that can take some abuse. I kept hearing something dragging when coming out of a hole and finally realized the plate was dragging. It's located on the hitch pin insert with a bolt but it takes up the ability to connect my hitch to anything unless relocating of plate mount. They make some of the best addons for durability. speaking from an Army Engineer perspective.
You will need to get the light kit they sell also $$ to insure you comply with law for your area.
Yeah I also got the FuelPax and license relocation frame. The license plate light I got from Amazon. Cheaper and nicer looking.

0421464C-D188-4E44-A744-9C22F067D912.jpeg

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Looks like you have the SmittyBuilt XL tent. I was also looking at this one too. My current plan, I think, is to get a DiamondBack HD bed cover, then build up a rack on top that will clear 5-Gallon gas cans, and allow me to still use my rear view mirror.
Yessir! There's a youtuber called LASTLINEOFDEFENSE. He has a tacoma, but is running the diamondback HD Cover and then installed the front runner rails (instead of the full tray) to mount his tent on top. Check him out he has a rig walk around video and it might give you some ideas for yours.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Indeed, he has some good videos on his Taco. One think I do like about the Taco is the Aftermarket support. Hard to find stuff for the Silverado.