Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Lovin you WJ. Ive been wanting to build this for sometime, but cant find Stansport telescoping tent poles they are always unavailable on amazon.

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Lovin you WJ. Ive been wanting to build this for sometime, but cant find Stansport telescoping tent poles they are always unavailable on amazon.
Thanks brother! Yeah those things are a rare, i went with the little push button ones just to keep costs down. I just drilled more holes into the pole, to have more height options, like a telescoping pole.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Used it for our SB party this past weekendView attachment 47352 View attachment 47353
Your Hoagie looks good, but as I'm sure you are aware the meat is a bit thick for a true cheese-steak (I grew up on the PA/DE state line so I know my way around a good "steak").
Since you are from Fontucky, I'll let you in on a little secret... Go to a 99 Ranch or other asian grocery. They have thin sliced steak (I like rib-eye) for Shabu Shabu and it works PERFECT for Philly Cheese Steak. Slap it on the grill and use the double spatula technique to tear it up. Top it with cheese and then put the hoagie roll on top (Amaroso if you can find them!) and then scoop it all up in one fell swoop!
(I'm a mushroom 'n onion steak w/ "hots" guy myself)
Damn... I'm hungry now!!

Oh, and I'm TOTALLY gonna "steal" your awning idea!

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Oh.. GO EAGLES!!!

I've been an avid fan since I was young (Ron Jaworski days), and I have to say... With QB's like Cunningham, Mc Nabb and Vic (and now Wentz) if you had told me that Nick Foles was gonna be the one to finally bring it home for us, I would have said you were nuts!!

I stand corrected...
Now, let the dynasty begin!!

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I was thinking about the "bag" idea and had a thought. What about a SKI bag? Long, narrow, zippered...

Reactions: Amabob0

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Your Hoagie looks good, but as I'm sure you are aware the meat is a bit thick for a true cheese-steak (I grew up on the PA/DE state line so I know my way around a good "steak").
Since you are from Fontucky, I'll let you in on a little secret... Go to a 99 Ranch or other asian grocery. They have thin sliced steak (I like rib-eye) for Shabu Shabu and it works PERFECT for Philly Cheese Steak. Slap it on the grill and use the double spatula technique to tear it up. Top it with cheese and then put the hoagie roll on top (Amaroso if you can find them!) and then scoop it all up in one fell swoop!
(I'm a mushroom 'n onion steak w/ "hots" guy myself)
Damn... I'm hungry now!!

Oh, and I'm TOTALLY gonna "steal" your awning idea!
Aww man i wish i knew that a month ago! I couldn't find ANYONE here whod give me steak any thinner than that. Thanks for the pointer ill definitely be buying my steak there for the upcoming autoclub 400! Thanks i actually had 70 of those rolls made at a panaderia off sierra, waaay better than the pre-packaged ones i normally use from the store. & about the awning post some photos when its done!

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Oh.. GO EAGLES!!!

I've been an avid fan since I was young (Ron Jaworski days), and I have to say... With QB's like Cunningham, Mc Nabb and Vic (and now Wentz) if you had told me that Nick Foles was gonna be the one to finally bring it home for us, I would have said you were nuts!!

I stand corrected...
Now, let the dynasty begin!!
YEAH ! me too i became a fan in 2003, and Mcnabb was the man, i liked Andy reid but his early heavy passing scheme wore Mcnabb out. We should have won in 2005, and possibly 2011 but Rodgers was in his prime so yeah. I agree, of the great QBs weve had for the past +10 years (excluding kevin Kolb) lol FOLES?!? Cheers brother let the dynasty begin!

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

I was thinking about the "bag" idea and had a thought. What about a SKI bag? Long, narrow, zippered...

Thats a great idea! That reminds me i hadnt posted a picture of the case i made. It has worked well but i dont recommend it since it was a real PITA to make 20180223_150113.jpg 20180223_150130.jpg 20180223_150136.jpg 20180223_150113.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville

MarcosV1017

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Love this post through and through. Great idea! I made a couple of tweaks to mine because my car is not as long. I used an 8'6"x 11'6" tarp
1. On the car side i used the same 3/4" conduit and then used half of a 3/4" conduit to make the folding arms. On that conduit, I placed a 3/4" coupler with an eyelet bolt and placed a 1/2" conduit inside to make a telescoping leg. 5bafa0c44dc3f7.31784106.png
To make this more rigid, I cut the 1/2" so that when it was fully inside of the 3/4" conduit, it would line up with the car side tubing when folded in. I think it was like 8.5' or so. This little modification makes it so that i didnt have to cut and re-grommet the tarp.
2. Ziptied both ends of the tarp.
3. I had a sunshade that was crappy and donated its tent poles to this project. I fit the elastic to the new height and bent one of the rails to fit my awning. These fit perfectly inside of my 1/2" conduit, so to mount them, I just took the cap off of my 90 degree elbows. These two bent pieces are the only things that dont make this fully collapsible and i just throw them under my seat. haha
5bafa11ce83ea0.92644167.png
5bafa147666f26.15309862.png
4. I didnt have a bracket to weld on so I grabbed a 90 degree steel remnant that i had around and used U bolts to mount it to my rack. The U-bolts make it convenient during set up because it allows my awning to bend down during set up without placing stress on my bolts. 5bafa138c05163.65497749.png

Thank you so much for your write up and clear instructions. This made my life so much easier. And I also went with the button up bag from another tarp which is really nice. I have been driving around with it (>90mph) and it holds well. Here are some more pics!
5bafa0e87a3163.56088256.png 5bafa0f7e60957.53398290.png 5bafa1029a0bc1.72065104.png

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Dude that’s badass, it crossed my mind to make the awning bigger, but I couldn’t figure out how not to go too far passed my hood. That coupling and the 2 different sized conduits is a genius way of creating the telescoping needed to go bigger. Props on that idea. I appreciate the pictures you posted of your build, glad to see someone took advantage of the write up.Also, sorry for the late reply, my laptop charger burnt out almost a year ago so I hadn’t been able to logbook in for a while. Actually I still haven’t got around to ordering a new one so I finally went through the process of retrieving the password to this forum on my new phone. Anyways, hope the awning is holding up well brother, cheers

Reactions: MarcosV1017

MarcosV1017

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

No worries. It has done fairly good. There was one incident where one of the smaller conduits was bowed due to snow accumulating on the whole thing and strong winds from a blizzard I was in. In retrospect, I should have just packed it up, and also not had my legs be so high so the snow could run off. The next morning I was able to bed the bowed part back to normal without having to take it apart. Otherwise has been great! Thanks again for the write up.

Reactions: Amabob0

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

Love this post through and through. Great idea! I made a couple of tweaks to mine because my car is not as long. I used an 8'6"x 11'6" tarp
1. On the car side i used the same 3/4" conduit and then used half of a 3/4" conduit to make the folding arms. On that conduit, I placed a 3/4" coupler with an eyelet bolt and placed a 1/2" conduit inside to make a telescoping leg. View attachment 70852
To make this more rigid, I cut the 1/2" so that when it was fully inside of the 3/4" conduit, it would line up with the car side tubing when folded in. I think it was like 8.5' or so. This little modification makes it so that i didnt have to cut and re-grommet the tarp.
2. Ziptied both ends of the tarp.
3. I had a sunshade that was crappy and donated its tent poles to this project. I fit the elastic to the new height and bent one of the rails to fit my awning. These fit perfectly inside of my 1/2" conduit, so to mount them, I just took the cap off of my 90 degree elbows. These two bent pieces are the only things that dont make this fully collapsible and i just throw them under my seat. haha
View attachment 70853
View attachment 70854
4. I didnt have a bracket to weld on so I grabbed a 90 degree steel remnant that i had around and used U bolts to mount it to my rack. The U-bolts make it convenient during set up because it allows my awning to bend down during set up without placing stress on my bolts. View attachment 70857

Thank you so much for your write up and clear instructions. This made my life so much easier. And I also went with the button up bag from another tarp which is really nice. I have been driving around with it (>90mph) and it holds well. Here are some more pics!
View attachment 70855View attachment 70856View attachment 70858
I was working on something in my head yesterday similar to your design and just pulled up this thread 10 minutes ago. Thanks for confirming what I was working on. I'll do something similar but run paracord from the electrical conduit attached to my 4Runner through the grommets in the tarp as a substitute for conduit all around. Need to have this ready for a trip next month. Thanks a lot for confirming the process. Really appreciate it. Photos when I get it done.

IMG_4084-1.jpg