DIY AWNING for $90 (ARB style awning) 9' x 9'

• HTML tutorial

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

After about a years worth of intense use the awning is still going strong, ive used it at least 100 times and only changed a few couple things on it as upgrades not as repairs. I changed the velcro straps. They areScreenshot_20180124-185856.png 20180120_141329.jpg IMG_2603.JPG Screenshot_20180124-190349.png heavier duty and luckily the same price since they only come in packs of 10. Thats actually the exact amount needed. 2nd i replaced the straps on the tarp on the side of thr jeep with zip ties. Besides that everything is original and still VERY sturdy. Ive used it in 115 degree weather eith strong gusts in laughlin NV. Actually my ez-up brand canopy busted and collapsed while the awning stayed strong. Ive used it on every camping trip, picnic and even at work to keep out of the sun since i do construction, and some jobs dont allow for the work bench to fit somewhere covered. Ill post couple pictures i have of it being used. One last note, i made a case for it using extra HF tarp i had laying around.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Thanks for this idea. I've been toying around with the idea for awhile now and you may have just solved that. For a case, you could possibly use an umbrella storage bag with little modification. I see you've made a case with the tarp. I'm interested to see that as well. By the way, nice WJ. Mine is an 03 overland. The build thread is in the signature if you're curious. There's not too many build threads that are still active that I can find on this forum.

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Thanks for this idea. I've been toying around with the idea for awhile now and you may have just solved that. For a case, you could possibly use an umbrella storage bag with little modification. I see you've made a case with the tarp. I'm interested to see that as well. By the way, nice WJ. Mine is an 03 overland. The build thread is in the signature if you're curious. There's not too many build threads that are still active that I can find on this forum.
By all means i say you do it, this is single handily the mod i use most on my jeep. Ive never seen an ARB awning extended in person but im sure this is not that much weaker if not probably has the same strength. Not to mention Arbs dont go this big. The umbrella idea is actually great! I hadnt thought about that maybe ill give it a try. Ill post a picture of my case tomorrow. Also, i appreciate it ive out tons of work into it but i havnt had time to start a build thread. I do have an instagram account with more build details though: wjbuild_blackpearl . Feel free to check it out, and ill make sure to subscribe to it to your build thread too. I always like to get ideas from others and follow builds, or see how they improve on what ive done

Reactions: tsteb112

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
By all means i say you do it, this is single handily the mod i use most on my jeep. Ive never seen an ARB awning extended in person but im sure this is not that much weaker if not probably has the same strength. Not to mention Arbs dont go this big. The umbrella idea is actually great! I hadnt thought about that maybe ill give it a try. Ill post a picture of my case tomorrow. Also, i appreciate it ive out tons of work into it but i havnt had time to start a build thread. I do have an instagram account with more build details though: wjbuild_blackpearl . Feel free to check it out, and ill make sure to subscribe to it to your build thread too. I always like to get ideas from others and follow builds, or see how they improve on what ive done
Cool! I’ll check out IG. I personally enjoy having build threads on forums. It allows others to chime in with advice/critiques while letting you show what you’ve build. I really need to build a swing away tire carrier. That’s priority numero uno right now. I’ll be following something similar to roamingtimbers tire carrier using the stock bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

Cool! I’ll check out IG. I personally enjoy having build threads on forums. It allows others to chime in with advice/critiques while letting you show what you’ve build. I really need to build a swing away tire carrier. That’s priority numero uno right now. I’ll be following something similar to roamingtimbers tire carrier using the stock bumper

Yeah i do too, ive gotten most of my ideas from forums so id like to pass the knowledge. Im hoping to start a build thread soon

BradD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

rincon, GA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

If your still trying to figure out a good way to cover it while stored. Check out bimini storage covers for boats. They come in all colors and different sizes and are made for transport so they are really strong and have beefy zippers too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

If your still trying to figure out a good way to cover it while stored. Check out bimini storage covers for boats. They come in all colors and different sizes and are made for transport so they are really strong and have beefy zippers too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
Thats a good idea, i couldnt source a zipper long enough so i used push clips. That would have been a way easier route.

Jason Mainville

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I think they do? I couldn't find them on the website but I also didn't look very hard. If your particular store has them they would be in the same area with the EMT couplings and connectors.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great job, @Amabob0 - both on the awning and 'splaining it so well. There's more than a little cleverness in there that a lot of folks might not think of when designing.

Amabob0

Rank III

Advocate II

IMG_20180205_120406_015.jpg IMG_20180205_120406_015.jpg IMG_20180205_120406_015.jpg IMG_20180205_120406_015.jpg
Spring break already? Lol it’s still cold here

Lol it felt like it, it got up to 86 degrees here in socal. It was fun, my wife, son, and i are philly fans so we we hosted a little party. Philly cheesesteaks and beer.