Dinoot Trailer Builders

• HTML tutorial

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

Hi folks! Seems like there's a few Dinoot builders on the forum, but I didn't see a thread for general Dinoot topics, so I thought I'd start one. The Tventuring forums at Dinoot.com seem to be down again.

First question: Does anyone have a build parts weight list they'd be willing to share?

I'm planning right now and building this spring/summer. To be towed with a 2002 Chevy Tracker (2.0L 4-door). Still debating between the compact and extended J-series. I think we'll like the space of the extended, but that might lead us to pack too heavy. According to Scott at Dinoot, the weight of the extended frame is on 25lbs more, but I'm trying to milk every pound out of things build so our rig can pull off-road well. So I want to plan out the weight of the overall build to help me decide.

Thanks!

-Matt

Reactions: RowdyOutside

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I built a Dinoot last year (9 month build), their M416 style. My suggestion is if your concerned about weight & pulling, research your options of the materials used. Another is how long do you want this build to last you (actual problem free)? I have no wood on mine, wood is heavier than aluminum. Wood rots no matter how well you think you sealed it, aluminum wont rust or deteriorate. Aluminum cost more than wood but the life span is indefinite. Axle, leaf springs & type of frame will regulate your weight capacity which equals to your pulling ability to your vehicle. I have a 2000lb axle w\ Scotts soft ride springs & shock kit. Seems to me Scott's into wood floors. Mine, the floor is constructed of 3\16 " aluminum (which weight wasn't a issue to mine) & I applied a actual 2 stage catalyzed bed liner that will last dang near forever. You can purchase a great tuff strong 2 component catalyzed bedliner with spray gun under 200.00 or you can go what Scott uses a single system that is ground rubber that you roll on. IMO if your doing this as a one time deal, why "skimp" on the materials used. Pay Once, Cry Once or pay less & you get what you pay for w\ more work later on. I've read quite a few post on various forums & facebook comments on wood floor Dinoots were the owner are replacing them with 1\8" aluminum diamond plate. If I am going threw all my personal time to build a camping trailer the last thing I want is problems down the road of rotted floors, or coatings failing because of a system may work well on fiberglass better than actual wood. I've been putting on specialty coatings since 1974 (spray or manually applied). Matching the right coatings to the right substrate whether primer, or a all in one system to top coat & clear finish will dictate your longevity. The quality you spend will laydown your actual length of time its last. You can read my opinion or "my" review what I thought about the Dinoot kit. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/fiberglass-trailer.3387/

Last edited:

Lajeepdog

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chester Ca.
Member #

Hi folks! Seems like there's a few Dinoot builders on the forum, but I didn't see a thread for general Dinoot topics, so I thought I'd start one. The Tventuring forums at Dinoot.com seem to be down again.

First question: Does anyone have a build parts weight list they'd be willing to share?

I'm planning right now and building this spring/summer. To be towed with a 2002 Chevy Tracker (2.0L 4-door). Still debating between the compact and extended J-series. I think we'll like the space of the extended, but that might lead us to pack too heavy. According to Scott at Dinoot, the weight of the extended frame is on 25lbs more, but I'm trying to milk every pound out of things build so our rig can pull off-road well. So I want to plan out the weight of the overall build to help me decide.

Thanks!

-Matt
Matt, This is Lajeepdog, I have the Dinoot compact J-series (Buil Journal : An J-series Dinoot built with a rebuilt). The trailer is reinforce fiberglass ,2"x2" steel frame, 3500# axle, with jeep tires & wheels, an Tupia tent, electric brakse,TSC 3 axle hitch, rear bumper, 20gal water tank and lots of exters, It is under 1000# pack. I pull it behine the 2016 JKU Jeep just fine on jeep trails.

Charles_Alarie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cotati, California
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Alarie
Member #

I am very happy with my compact j frame. I am getting ready to install an electrical/solar set up in the tongue box this weekend.

]IMG_20181125_104108.jpegIMG_20181021_142331_225.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P