US West Death Valley Photography Trip February 24-28th, 2021 (rescheduled)

• HTML tutorial

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Great - there seems like there's enough interest to setup a Zoom call. I'll set something up for early October. Details to follow shortly.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

For the planned Zoom call, can everyone who is interested please give me their preferred days and time slots? I think we're all on the 'best' coast, but just want to make sure.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Will be in Vegas for Most of October so any time works but Afternoon and weekdays is better

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Right - a bit out of the way, as are Panamint Dunes (which I'd also like to visit at some point). You may want to add time for yourself at the end of the trip to take in some other locations that I don't manage to cover.
This is my Plan will be Leaving from Quartzsite, AZ Friday about Noon

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I found a very interesting video on the topic of 'lighting the landscape' that discusses timing of shots to get what you want out your landscape photography -

In Death Valley we'll typically only be able to use the time of day to control light, as clouds are few and far between. If you're not thinking about it already, I recommend you look at my route plan and locations, and give some thought to the types of shot you might want to get. Planning is everything.

If you haven't been to these locations, it's also a good exercise to find photographs from others that appeal to you in those same locations, and try to figure out how they got a particular shot (location, time, lens etc.). With a couple of months to go it's a good time to start this mental planning process. I find that with photography the old rule definitely applies - if you don't know where you are going you definitely won't get there.

As always, please feel free to fire questions my way and I'll be happy to help or give you pointers to where you can do some more research.

Reactions: dpurdy85 and Boort

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

And because I've found that my own photography has benefited significantly from inspiration, I thought I'd share some work from another photographer I admire, some of which were taken in the Sierras and Death Valley -

For me, when the distance between the work I produce and work like this is so great, it encourages me to try a bit harder ;) Please feel free to share photographers that are an inspiration to you.

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Another photographer worth checking out is John Sexton -

All black and white, and the quality of the prints is quite stunning.
I remember seeing his work when I was in photo school way back when. The great thing beyond his technical skills is his compositional skills as that has to carry the photo without color. I had just gone up to the Sierras a weekend ago to shoot the fall colors up around Bishop and while a lot of the pictures were ok and good I was somewhat lazy and it was really the colors of the scene that were doing the work. In sort of defaulting to grand landscapes I was not taking the time to seek out the more intimate scenes and abstract patterns that usually lead to much better images however I am being more self-aware of that now as I shake off the rust from not really being serious about my outdoor photos in recent years.

A couple of other influences I remember from years ago with regard to desert photography were Jack Dykinga and Linde Waidhofer. I had developed an affinity for a lot of the areas in region of southern Utah, northwest Arizona, and the Nevada/Arizona area through their work.

Reactions: KLTH19 and Boort

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Another photographer worth checking out is John Sexton -

All black and white, and the quality of the prints is quite stunning.
I remember seeing his work when I was in photo school way back when. The great thing beyond his technical skills is his compositional skills as that has to carry the photo without color. I had just gone up to the Sierras a weekend ago to shoot the fall colors up around Bishop and while a lot of the pictures were ok and good I was somewhat lazy and it was really the colors of the scene that were doing the work. In sort of defaulting to grand landscapes I was not taking the time to seek out the more intimate scenes and abstract patterns that usually lead to much better images however.
I get a feeling that the 'grand landscape' is maybe becoming a thing of the past - or maybe it's just the current trend to go for details. I'm tempted to run the whole trip with one of my 40 year old 50/1.4"s on the Sony. We'll see if I'm brave enough to stick to that.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I get a feeling that the 'grand landscape' is maybe becoming a thing of the past - or maybe it's just the current trend to go for details. I'm tempted to run the whole trip with one of my 40 year old 50/1.4"s on the Sony. We'll see if I'm brave enough to stick to that.
I've done those trips. Always come back with different photos than I expect. I find adding limits like that is a really good way to see a place that you've been before in a whole new way.

With the paracord trick (discussed in details here Photography ) and a few extra minutes in post you can still take the grand landscape with a 50mm.
The 50mm 1.4 is also a PERFECT lens for nightscapes. and looking at the current plans and times you'll be there you should have great options to shoot nightscapes!

Boort

Phillysteak

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Haasnoot
Member #

I'm interested as long as people don't mind me taking tons of Astrophotos at night

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

A couple of logistics updates for the trip. Right now it doesn't look like I'll have a chance to get my HAM license before December, so we'll be using FRS to communicate on the road and in the field. If necessary, if any of you have a HAM license you can run behind me and relay any directions to others in the group - I don't imagine we'll have any difficulty keeping together though as the routes are all pretty open with few turns.

Also, Iet's plan to rally at the Kohl's parking lot (junction of Gilroy Crossing and Camino Arroyo in Gilroy) at 6AM on December 10. With stops it's 8-9 hours to get to Racetrack Playa in Death Valley, and I want to get there in plenty of time for sunset. From Gilroy we'll take Pacheco Pass out to 5 south to Bakersfield, then north on 58-14 to Olancha and 190 to the Saline Valley Road where we'll hit dirt. If its more convenient for you to meet us along the route let me know and we can figure out a meeting point.

Bungy_teckel

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Michel
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSG
Have a license and can relay.

I will probably hit the road on December 9th so I can split the drive and will meet you in Olancha (around 11-noon), I guess we can find a gas station to fill up before driving in.

Reactions: KLTH19 and Boort

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

A couple of logistics updates for the trip. Right now it doesn't look like I'll have a chance to get my HAM license before December, so we'll be using FRS to communicate on the road and in the field. If necessary, if any of you have a HAM license you can run behind me and relay any directions to others in the group - I don't imagine we'll have any difficulty keeping together though as the routes are all pretty open with few turns.

Also, Iet's plan to rally at the Kohl's parking lot (junction of Gilroy Crossing and Camino Arroyo in Gilroy) at 6AM on December 10. With stops it's 8-9 hours to get to Racetrack Playa in Death Valley, and I want to get there in plenty of time for sunset. From Gilroy we'll take Pacheco Pass out to 5 south to Bakersfield, then north on 58-14 to Olancha and 190 to the Saline Valley Road where we'll hit dirt. If its more convenient for you to meet us along the route let me know and we can figure out a meeting point.
I’m in the same boat as I am just running GRMS and haven’t followed through on my HAM exam either.

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

I have a HAM radio but haven’t given the exam yet for the license. Might not find time either before our trip. It’s good for receiving if someone with HAM transmits.

What about gas? What’s the recommendation for carrying additional amount? I usually get 250 miles on a full tank. Where would we get the last gas station in our trip?

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP

I have a GMRS and HAM license if needed