US West Death Valley Photography Trip February 24-28th, 2021 (rescheduled)

• HTML tutorial

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Long ways away but the kilns would be a Great Place for some AstroPhotography and there is camping Near by

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Long ways away but the kilns would be a Great Place for some AstroPhotography and there is camping Near by

Looks like the New Moon is on December 14th, so conditions may not be too bad for a bit of astrophotography.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Was just there this past February. Wintertime is great weather for DV. Amazing landscapes and need to get back there again.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

It looks like you have all the major locations on the list. It would be good to camp near those with the best sunset/sunrise opportunities which I think include the dunes, the salt flats at Badwater, and the Racetrack. The timing near new moon is great and we should check where the Milky Way alignment would be at that time of year which could also influence where we spend a night or two.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

It looks like you have all the major locations on the list. It would be good to camp near those with the best sunset/sunrise opportunities which I think include the dunes, the salt flats at Badwater, and the Racetrack. The timing near new moon is great and we should check where the Milky Way alignment would be at that time of year which could also influence where we spend a night or two.

The devils Golf course is also Interesting for sunsets - Not as many People shoot out there

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I'm in the process of figuring out the actual route at the moment. Some of these locations are pretty far apart, and not all have convenient backcountry camping.

Also, I'm considering starting the trip by taking 190/Hunter Mountain to get to Racetrack Playa. I haven't used that route before though, and it seems like it gets pretty messy if it rains.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

If anyone is aware of dispersed camping spots that can accommodate 9 vehicles please share. I'm aware of a few (Homestead for the Racetrack, Echo Canyon for Zabriskie and Cottonwood Canyon Road for Marble Canyon and Mesquite), but I need to add more to the list to cover the other locations. Looking into that now.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I'm in the process of figuring out the actual route at the moment. Some of these locations are pretty far apart, and not all have convenient backcountry camping.

Also, I'm considering starting the trip by taking 190/Hunter Mountain to get to Racetrack Playa. I haven't used that route before though, and it seems like it gets pretty messy if it rains.
They close the Racetrack if it Rains -

Here is a Link to Back Country Info in Death Valley https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/508-Backcountry-and-Wilderness-Access-map_.pdf

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have only been to the racetrack via the valley and Teakettle. The two times before that I was there I was in a 4-Wheel truck and didn't think the back road out was a good idea at the time. I'm game for it now with my Rubicon but it might not be suitable for vehicles that don't have high-clearance or are large. I found this video that shows the route...

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I have only been to the racetrack via the valley and Teakettle. The two times before that I was there I was in a 4-Wheel truck and didn't think the back road out was a good idea at the time. I'm game for it now with my Rubicon but it might not be suitable for vehicles that don't have high-clearance or are large. I found this video that shows the route...

There are three ways to the Racetrack - Racetrack Road from the Ubehebe Crater in Death Valley (washboaded but OK if you air down), 190 then Lippincott (wouldn't try it with my rig), or 190 then Hunter Mountain. The Hunter Mountain route looks much easier than Lippincott, and should be suitable for everyone.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

They close the Racetrack if it Rains -

Here is a Link to Back Country Info in Death Valley https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/508-Backcountry-and-Wilderness-Access-map_.pdf
Well, they ask you not to go into the playa. I wouldn't, but I:'ve unfortunately seen plenty of footprints and even tire tracks out there ;( In my several trips there I've never seen rain out there, though in 2019 I did hit some powdery snow. More of a concern is when did they last get around to grading Racetrack Road? They do it once a year I'm told.

Reactions: Bungy_teckel

Bungy_teckel

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Michel
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSG
If anyone is aware of dispersed camping spots that can accommodate 9 vehicles please share. I'm aware of a few (Homestead for the Racetrack, Echo Canyon for Zabriskie and Cottonwood Canyon Road for Marble Canyon and Mesquite), but I need to add more to the list to cover the other locations. Looking into that now.
You have the major spots I think. Hole in the wall trail is also an alternative to the Echo Canyon.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Just Curious what does everyone shoot with?? I have a Nikon D500 But by then Might Have a Nikon Z6

Reactions: Brewbud

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Just Curious what does everyone shoot with?? I have a Nikon D500 But by then Might Have a Nikon Z6
If they come out with the Z6S later this year as rumored, there may be some good deals on the Z6 out there. I doubt it will be a big enough change for me to sell mine but I know that there are many who will.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

If they come out with the Z6S later this year as rumored, there may be some good deals on the Z6 out there. I doubt it will be a big enough change for me to sell mine but I know that there are many who will.
Grab a deal by all means, but try to get familiar with it before the trip. Believe me, you don't want to be hunting through menus when the light is changing rapidly

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

That is what I'm hoping for -

Reactions: Brewbud

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Back 20 years ago or so I started shooting with the Canon EOS system in film and then migrated to the 20D way back when. My travels then became more backpacking and reduced carry focused so I "downsized" to an Olympus 4/3 system so I wouldn't have to deal with all the heavy glass and gear with my EOS system. Now that I am getting back to more overlanding and still have my EOS lenses I am looking to start that up again. I am now debating on whether to get one of the Sony A7 cameras with a lens adapter for EOS or just get the best value Rebel from Canon for now. I am leaning toward to Sony solution. I would like the A7r IV but will probably just get an A7r II due to the large price gap.