US West Death Valley Photography Trip February 24-28th, 2021 (rescheduled)

• HTML tutorial

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I’m tentatively in just need to verify some dates. It has been a few years since I have been shooting photos in Death Valley. I enjoyed the backcountry sites such as the Racetrack the most.

Reactions: PapaDave

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Really looking forward to this one! Should be an epic trip, as Death Valley is one of the most diverse areas for photography in the west. Apologies in advance for needing to limit the numbers, but many trailheads and potential campsites have limited space, and fewer photographers means more room for us to spread out and not end up in each other's shots ;)

Please feel free to reach out with any questions via this forum, in case others may benefit from the answers.

Last edited:

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

@Outback in the Wild - I don't imagine any rock crawling to the main photo locations, and I would be entering/leaving the park via paved roads. The only key locations that are accessed via a dirt road are Racetrack Playa, Marble Canyon and Inyo Mine. In those cases sturdy tires is more of a concern than ground clearance. I'm considering other locations like Chloride City - that one has some rocky 'step' sections that might be tough in an Outback - here's a link to me driving the road in my Cherokee in 2019 -

Overall though there are plenty of easily reachable options in Death Valley for photography, so if people are concerned about off road capabilities we can work with that and avoid any problematic spots.

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP
@Outback in the Wild - I don't imagine any rock crawling to the main photo locations, and I would be entering/leaving the park via paved roads. The only key locations that are accessed via a dirt road are Racetrack Playa, Marble Canyon and Inyo Mine. In those cases sturdy tires is more of a concern than ground clearance. I'm considering other locations like Chloride City - that one has some rocky 'step' sections that might be tough in an Outback - here's a link to me driving the road in my Cherokee in 2019 -

Overall though there are plenty of easily reachable options in Death Valley for photography, so if people are concerned about off road capabilities we can work with that and avoid any problematic spots.
I did drive in the past to Eureka dunes and Racetrack so that is no problem.
Its passes like Panamint and Steel pass I want to avoid :)

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

If we're very lucky on this trip we'll get some good weather for photography - better chance of that in winter. Here are some more photos from my previous trips to give you an idea of what's possible if you don't have to deal with clear blue skies. In the first one it was actually snowing at Racetrack Playa.

Racetrack snow.jpg

And this was a quick shot taken on the way out of the park when the conditions just became magical.

Leaving DV.jpg

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

That should be OK. As I finalize the itinerary I can give you an idea of where the group will be.
Count me in Then - I'll go anywhere and have been to death Valley Dozens of times one of My Favorite Places

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I've added some locations in case anyone wants to start to do some research. You may be aware of other locations, but these are the ones I've had the best experience with. I've added Hunter Mountain as that may be the way we initially enter the park on Thursday December 10th.