Cooler vs Fridge: Which is right for you?

• HTML tutorial

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I bought a dometic 35 qt off amazon this summer, paid about the same as a yeti knock off. Love it! That being said I won a yeti knock off from one of my vendors. So the fridge gets my food and the cooler gets my drinks. It nice not seeing my hamburger floating by my beer. Having a full size van helps as I have more then enough room for both. I wouldn't have been able to do that with the Scout. If I go back to Storm response work Ill move the 35 qt to my service truck and get a larger one for my van.

Reactions: kickkem

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I'm with John. Can anyone explain why are these fridge's are just short of a thousand dollars?
It's not just the cost of the fridge. It's the batteries, changers, solar panels and so on needed to run the thing, plus the additional weight you need to carried this kit as well. For me the moto, "keep it simple and keep it light" is key.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

It also depends on the type of trips, I rarely stay more than 1 day in the same spot. I was a cooler guy until I bought a Snomaster twin fridge freezer, I have a split charge and a 80A battery. This runs my camp lights and fridge and I don't think I will ever go back to a cooler. All in it cost $1000 and around 3 hours to fit.
If I'm staying longer than 1 day I make my own ice by freezing bottles in the freezer compartment while driving which I move to the fridge compartment when camped and it acts like a powered cooler, with this we stopped for 3 days without needing extra power and our 80amp battery was still able to power.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

My dometic was just north of 350, 35 qt. only got to use it a few times but worked well so far. I have twin yellow tops, with a sol to keep them separate never had a problem with voltage.
At a price point under $400.00 I can see the benefit. That being said, I drink whiskey with ice and water as an evening drink, so need a cooler, anyway.

Reactions: Truck mechanic

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

I would go with the fridge setup. I'm looking at putting solar panels on the roof rack for constant voltage. I have a dual battery system already. Anyone familiar with doing this kind of setup?
I recently added solar to my duel battery setup. All you need to ad is the solar panel. (i have 1 100w panel), and a solar charger/controller. My panel is fitted with brackets so I can take it off the roof and angle it to get the most direct sun. Panel goes to the controller then to battery. The controller ensures a steady current and prevents overcharging.

Reactions: Schake

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, VA, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Rrrrrr
Member #

Fridge all the way for me. Installed it before I left for a seven week trip and it was great. Both for days worth of meals and for cold drinks at any time.

One benefit I don't see mentioned is I no longer feel like I have to go straight home from the grocery store. That's a rare gift in high traffic areas where errands can take forever.

I use an Ice Mule to carry ice when I want it, that thing will keep ice forever.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Coleman Marine Ice Chest for me. Someday considering a Fridge, but the price point and power system for it just isn't feasible for me right now.

That being said, for the Cooler Crowd, instead of packing your ice chest with gobs of ice, a really functional and effective way to keep your ice chest cold is to pre-cool it: add a bit of ice to your chest before you put food in it. Close it and then once you do utilize it, poor the ice out and then layer the bottom with frozen 16oz water bottles. I am amazed at how long and how cold frozen water bottles keep the contents of the cooler. And, if need be, you can drink them as they melt (although I have had bottles of water still 1/2 to 2/3 frozen in my cooler after 5 days! If you do a layer of water bottles at the bottom, then drinks, then a layer of ice, and then your dryer cold storage foods on top, I have found the ice melts between the frozen water bottles and you don't get the soggy bottom foods as much. Also, always pre-freeze meats and pre-refridgerate foods BEFORE you put them in the ice chest if you can.

Funny story, I did this method a few weeks ago on a 5 day trip to Pismo dunes and upon day 3 when I went to pull my bag of already cracked eggs out of the cooler, they were frozen solid! I mean hard as a rock! and they went in slightly chilled. I have found this method work very effectively. It'll be a cold day in Death Valley before I give up my Coleman....

Reactions: Lindenwood

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Do you know the cost of a Coleman Marine Ice Chest. Since I only have a 2 door wrangler this sounds perfect for me. What would be the smallest size I could buy for use, for 4-6 days, for one person; since room in my wrangler is very limited.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
This is exactly what I have. It's the largest I found, and did a LOT of research before buying. I've been nothing but happy with it. They may make a smaller version, but you will have to search Coleman for what may fit your size and application.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-qt-Xtreme-Marine-Cooler-White/34105098?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228022580964&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42977388152&wl4=pla-81469724552&wl5=9031864&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=34105098&wl13=&veh=sem

ArmyofMike OB#7890

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

008.JPG what I like & do may not be for others. This works for me & the wife. I have a Engel 12v. 22qt fridg\freez & love it. The size fits Sally & I perfectly. (1st) I use the Engel to store my meat & condiments only, (2nd) the reliability of the Engel in power consumption & over all life use is unbelievable, wouldn't use anything else than a Engel. Their reputation speaks volumes.
I have 2 rotomolded coolers, K2 Summit 70 w\ divider which we store milk, juice, beer, soda & other items that we like on ice only. One side of the cooler has frozen jugs for milk, juice, tea, liter soda. The other side of the divider holds iced down beer, can soda. The other cooler is Canyon 22qt which we store only ice in for drinks, ice tea. The secret to these cooler for long lasting ice is; prep cooling the coolers ahead of time, large ice chunks (gallon milk jug frozen,) keeping the cooler out of the sun (shade only), be fast on the opening of the lid & be sure to secure it tight. Lastly is NOT draining the ice water from the cooler. We can get 4 days of ice in our coolers. If I was looking to buy a cooler, rotomolded is the only cooler to get IMO.
They both have their pro's & cons about them.

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

One thing to remember with a fridge is that you get a fair bit more space since ice will not be taking any up any room.
I run (2) 100 watt portable Renogy solar panels ran together which gives me 200watts to run my Engel, Propex H2000 tent heating system (during the late fall early spring) or I can run my Engel with my Mighty Kool portable 12v. A|C during the summer with 1 VMax 125amp battery & have plenty of power. I can tell you 100watt wont do it. My suggestion is get ahold of Renogy Solar & they can set you up with the fail safe system.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I run a Yeti Roadie 20QT when I head out to the ranch, it usually holds a case of beer and some snacks. If I only need a 12 pack I'll throw it in the RTIC 20QT Soft Side Cooler. For camping/overlanding my plans are to keep the ice for drinks in the Yeti Roadie 20QT, all drinks (water/tea/juice/beer/etc.) in the Yeti 65QT, and then foods and condiments in a fridge.

I have yet to buy a fridge/freezer as I am not quite sure which make or model I most interested in, but it's coming soon. The one thing I can't wrap my head around when it comes to these fridges is how expensive they are. I just can't understand why a 50QT fridge costs as much as full size, double door at home fridge/freezer. The prices on these things need to come back down to earth if you ask me.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, VA, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Rrrrrr
Member #

I run a Yeti Roadie 20QT when I head out to the ranch, it usually holds a case of beer and some snacks. If I only need a 12 pack I'll throw it in the RTIC 20QT Soft Side Cooler. For camping/overlanding my plans are to keep the ice for drinks in the Yeti Roadie 20QT, all drinks (water/tea/juice/beer/etc.) in the Yeti 65QT, and then foods and condiments in a fridge.

I have yet to buy a fridge/freezer as I am not quite sure which make or model I most interested in, but it's coming soon. The one thing I can't wrap my head around when it comes to these fridges is how expensive they are. I just can't understand why a 50QT fridge costs as much as full size, double door at home fridge/freezer. The prices on these things need to come back down to earth if you ask me.
I agree it's a larger investment. Part of the reason they cost what they do is demand. If every house had one or two, they'd be cheaper. Another contributor to price is that they are designed to be bounced around a little in the back of your truck, which a home fridge is not.
Still, a lot of money.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I agree it's a larger investment. Part of the reason they cost what they do is demand. If every house had one or two, they'd be cheaper. Another contributor to price is that they are designed to be bounced around a little in the back of your truck, which a home fridge is not.
Still, a lot of money.

That.... and most can run off 12/24vdc. and 110/220vac. The dual voltage all the way around is another big plus.

My Wife thought I was crazy when I bought mine.. She and my daughter used the fridge on her vacation back home (last summer) for a 7 day trip. She has already said with “no if, and, or butts about it”, that she is taking it again. And if I have anything planed while they are gone.... then I’m SOL. Haha

roaminglost

Rank VI

Influencer I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Roaming
Last Name
Lost
Member #

Im rocking a Yeti 45 and its amazing. the price isn't but It really does keep everything cold for a extended amount of time.

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Just got back from maiden trip with an ARB fridge. It's a game changer. Yeti's are amazing for what they do...but at the end of the day they still will have ice melt that will get your food soggy in a matter of a day or two. Having the fridge for all of our cold food items and my Yeti for drinks worked amazingly well. The ice and subsequent melt kept the drinks cold for our 5 day trip and the ARB did it's thing with the food.

It's a big investment upfront...but entirely worthwhile if your budget allows.