• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I never thought I would get so torched for not having a bolt on parts rig. With a title like " rock crawler to overlander" what did people expect? It's a work in progress that I still plan on adding to with dual battery setup and a better exhaust, more power outlets inside. But maybe it's not for everyone and I get that it's not as comfortable as most would like but it's been an ongoing build for the last 7 years that I thought I would share. Thank you to those who have made comments about the build but I am kinda done with the why don't you drive a stock land rover on 31s comments. I use this thing to it's full potential and it's built for what I need it to do. I'll post a link to the magazine article and the videos once they are out for those who are interested.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I never thought I would get so torched for not having a bolt on parts rig. With a title like " rock crawler to overlander" what did people expect? It's a work in progress that I still plan on adding to with dual battery setup and a better exhaust, more power outlets inside. But maybe it's not for everyone and I get that it's not as comfortable as most would like but it's been an ongoing build for the last 7 years that I thought I would share. Thank you to those who have made comments about the build but I am kinda done with the why don't you drive a stock land rover on 31s comments. I use this thing to it's full potential and it's built for what I need it to do. I'll post a link to the magazine article and the videos once they are out for those who are interested.
I know how you feel i get it from the taco guys on why do i drive a full size when taco is king to them

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I wouldn’t worry about it too much unfortunately overlanding or car camping as it was called back in the day Has become very elitist where even the founders of this website say take out whatever you can and go explore is pushed aside because you need a RTT and a ham radio or your not allowed in the woods at all . Keep on posting it up your build it is absolutely amazing and awesome. I’d love to see some of your travel pictures to.
05D5DDB1-3CEB-45F9-8467-DA606A6DE2DB.jpeg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Because hes taking a trail rig and making it more camping friendly ??
This certainly seems more consistent with the thread so far. I was assuming (Incorrectly, I guess) that the idea was to take a trail rig/rock crawler, and convert it into an overlander, for which much of what's needed in a trail rig is really a disadvantage when "overlanding". I'm also conscious that there's no agree single standard definition of "overlanding" and we tend to use the term for different types of activity - hence more potential confusion.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This certainly seems more consistent with the thread so far. I was assuming (Incorrectly, I guess) that the idea was to take a trail rig/rock crawler, and convert it into an overlander, for which much of what's needed in a trail rig is really a disadvantage when "overlanding". I'm also conscious that there's no agree single standard definition of "overlanding" and we tend to use the term for different types of activity - hence more potential confusion.
All depends on what you consider overlanding , dragging a stock rig through rocks and deep two tracks , constantly getting stuck and having to pull , jack up , rig out . Sounds like a rather miserable day compared to being able to slowly crawl over stuff with maximum traction causing less damage to the trails and roads and having the ability to help those stuck in situations they have no business being in sounds like a much more enjoyable trip to me . I guess maybe I’m spoiled living in the pnw and don’t have to travel to far away lands for weeks at a time to explore a ton , I could spend a month on the road in Oregon and still only scratch the surface of what this state has to offer . If you head up to Canada some of their “roads” are worse than our trails . It’s all a matter of perspective I guess

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
All depends on what you consider overlanding , dragging a stock rig through rocks and deep two tracks , constantly getting stuck and having to pull , jack up , rig out . Sounds like a rather miserable day compared to being able to slowly crawl over stuff with maximum traction causing less damage to the trails and roads and having the ability to help those stuck in situations they have no business being in sounds like a much more enjoyable trip to me . I guess maybe I’m spoiled living in the pnw and don’t have to travel to far away lands for weeks at a time to explore a ton , I could spend a month on the road in Oregon and still only scratch the surface of what this state has to offer . If you head up to Canada some of their “roads” are worse than our trails . It’s all a matter of perspective I guess
Yes I would much prefer a leisurely wander than getting stuck. Thinking back, the last time I was stuck was about 20 years ago in the Sahara, in a Series 100 LC, and it was a desert driving training day, so that was the plan. Other than that... never for more than a few minutes on very few occasions in the last couple of decades. A couple of times in Northeastern Brazil in the Lençois Maranhenses in an X Trail i - deep sand, out in 5 minutes. Never yet in Africa south of the Sahara, although I once pulled 3 vehicles including a Land Rover out of a dry river bed in the Kalahari in a Peugeot 304, pulled a Jeep out of deep sand in the Congo in a Patrol, and we pulled a pickup out of a ditch when the rains hit in Northern Kenya in our LC. We had to take a second shot at a dune a couple of times in the Simpson Desert last year, but this was simply a case of backing up and trying again - 1100 dunes in 5 days.

Having said all that, I suspect that if we were to try to go some of the places you go, in our "not far off standard" vehicle, we'd need your help to get out of trouble pretty quickly.

I think of "overlanding" based on the Overland Journal description: "Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose. Overlanding is about exploration, rather than conquering obstacles. While the roads and trails we travel might be rough or technically challenging, they are the means to an end, not the goal itself. The goal is to see and learn about our world, whether on a weekend trip 100 miles from home or a 10,000-mile expedition across another continent. The vehicle and equipment can be simple or extravagant - they, too, are simply means to an end. History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of overlanding." However I recognise that this only one of many views.

We've travelled a lot in Canada (I'm Canadian although haven't lived there for almost 30 years) and also through Oregon, which is beautiful, and I can see your point. We too can get out onto unsurfaced tracks not far from home (where we live now), and have a huge opportunity to see more. As you say - all a matter or perspective (and what interests us).

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

there is no norm, there is only conformity for those lacking imagination.

The idea is to start "overlanding" with a rock crawler. The only negative is fuel economy, range. I'm most interested in how to extend that range. Given the LJ has 6" more overhang than the TJ, I'd love to see a bigger gas tank fitted. But beyond that......... I think he is starting from an awesome place, and I love to see guys doing something with ....... different. Frankly the average Taco overlander is pretty boring.

I think he is taking an incredibly capable rock crawler and enhancing those capabilities with some overlanding capabilities. Kind of a hybrid... :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I've always felt this is the best combination, well done. I agree store bought lifts are marketing and advertising for profit but not state of the art.

The only thing I think you are missing is gas mileage and range. But with 35s, 37s, you'll never really improve over what you have. And nice to see you have not cluttered your LJ up with a thousand pounds of overlanding marketing. I keep my TJ pretty basic too. It only becomes an "overlander" when I couple up the trailer.

Looking forward to seeing your trailer.
I have considered a trailer and have borrowed a trailer from a buddy that has a RTT mounted on it once a year for the past .. 6 years? I have come to really dislike the RTT so I don't borrow it anymore, and I pack as light as I can and basically bring only what I need. this comes from doing a lot of backpacking and living in the woods for extended periods so I have a good feeling of what is "necessary" for me. I also don't have the room to store a trailer at the moment.

Reactions: Billiebob

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
there is no norm, there is only conformity for those lacking imagination.

The idea is to start "overlanding" with a rock crawler. The only negative is fuel economy, range. I'm most interested in how to extend that range. Given the LJ has 6" more overhang than the TJ, I'd love to see a bigger gas tank fitted. But beyond that......... I think he is starting from an awesome place, and I love to see guys doing something with ....... different. Frankly the average Taco overlander is pretty boring.

I think he is taking an incredibly capable rock crawler and enhancing those capabilities with some overlanding capabilities. Kind of a hybrid... :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
unfortunately with the price of extended range tanks its not in the budget, my fuel tank also has a really heavy skid plate because well... LJs are tail draggers. At the moment I carry a few race cans that gives me an extra tank if need be. I carry them empty until I know I am going out of range of fuel, or if i don't know where I am headed. I may build a mount for the rear bumper/tire carrier but it already has a lot of weight on it with a 37" tire so I try not to put any more weight on it unless its absolutely needed.

Reactions: Billiebob

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
This Jeep stays mainly within Canada, sometimes venturing into the US for trails or camp but not often as I don't get vacation time or ave the funds to take longer trips out. maybe i should call it a "back 40 buggy" as it sees hours of highway miles before getting to the trails and then spending hours on the trails before getting to camp.

My last cross border trip this thing was on I went offroading in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek offroad park which was on a sort of "offroad bucket list" for me. I would love to get out to california and wheel the rubiconand do some camping along the trail, but its just not in the cards for the foreseeable future.

here are some picture from Rausch Creek. The other guys trailers their rigs and I drove mine there and back.

Attachments

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Not an "overland" mod but I figured a bit of extra safety wouldn't hurt. Once this next trip is done I plan to remove the basket in the back and put the back seat in again. Then again with the harness bar installed I may just leave it as long as I need this way. Stayed late and worked with a buddy from work to get a bolt in cage kit installed while he fixed some skid plates ( he is also included in the upcoming trip). 20200807_200036.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not an "overland" mod but I figured a bit of extra safety wouldn't hurt. Once this next trip is done I plan to remove the basket in the back and put the back seat in again. Then again with the harness bar installed I may just leave it as long as I need this way. Stayed late and worked with a buddy from work to get a bolt in cage kit installed while he fixed some skid plates ( he is also included in the upcoming trip). View attachment 166047
Impressive, I've thought about doing the front crossbar for years to hang radios etc from.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Impressive, I've thought about doing the front crossbar for years to hang radios etc from.
I still need to re-locate the radio up top and will need to extend my power cable to do so. I am hoping that I have enough coax to get it there. I'll probably find out today when I get into it again. I need to do the ball joints and wheel bearings and then stick all of my roll bar padding back together around the new cage so that it looks a bit more " factory".

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Well my last weekend go get the jeep ready for its weekend of abuse. Needed to change out ball joints, check bearings and a few other things. Found a crack in a front lower shock mount that needed to be welded up and found that one of the tapered inserts in the passenger steering knuckle needs to be re-welded because the tie Rod end is moving slightly in it and it has cracked apart from the knuckle.20200808_112253.jpg20200808_103457.jpgreceived_735999927252606.jpeg

Reactions: BCMoto

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Found both of my tapered inserts had broken loose from the inside of the knuckle and needed to be re-welded. I am hoping these last through next weekend with my cheapo welder. It's earning it's keep this weekend. Drag link and tie rod inserts removed ground down and re attached and it drives like butter again.20200809_112823.jpg

Reactions: TxJeeper75

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Everywhere is different but many jurisdictions ban welding, cutting frame rails, steering components unless it is done by a Journeyman Welder, seeing these failed welds, the reason is obvious.