• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
You should check out elementfire.com for a much better, smaller and lighter fire extinguisher solution. Get rid of that monster and have a much cleaner more eco friendly fire extinguisher on your rig.
That does look pretty cool. maybe after I get this thing together I will have to see what shipping would be like to get one here even just for a camp extinguisher to leave in the compass.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I guess I have to say that if you really want an "overlander" in the sense of being able to drive comfortably to Tierra del Fuego and back, then strip off all of the non-standard stuff, put back all of the original kit, then do a full service, renew suspension bushings, and make a few minor adjustments - better dampers perhaps, a winch, sand ladders, slightly bigger tyres than standard on 16 in (maybe 17 in) rims. Figure out where/how you're going to sleep - if inside, strip out the inside and out in a bed; if on the roof, put on a RTT; if outside buy a tent. A refrigerator is handy although not necessary.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I guess I have to say that if you really want an "overlander" in the sense of being able to drive comfortably to Tierra del Fuego and back, then strip off all of the non-standard stuff, put back all of the original kit, then do a full service, renew suspension bushings, and make a few minor adjustments - better dampers perhaps, a winch, sand ladders, slightly bigger tyres than standard on 16 in (maybe 17 in) rims. Figure out where/how you're going to sleep - if inside, strip out the inside and out in a bed; if on the roof, put on a RTT; if outside buy a tent. A refrigerator is handy although not necessary.
I have driven this on looong trips before, wheeled for a weekend ( in a different country) and then drove home. It's not the most comfortable drive but it gets me everywhere I need to go. It has a few things added for camping and comfort... But not much. I am prepping it to drive across our province while taking on the hardest trails it has to offer in about 2 weeks

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Some people seem to think if you keep it stock it will never break, but there’s plenty of times a stock vehicle will have to struggle and work hard to get through an obstacle that a slightly more built vehicle will simply drive over with no troubles whatsoever.
And over landing doesn’t always mean a rooftop tent , a full kitchen , awnings and every creature comfort in the world it can be as simple as some backpacking gear and a small cooler with some chilled beverages.
I love this build because it’s so different from the norm on overlanding sites .

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Some people seem to think if you keep it stock it will never break, but there’s plenty of times a stock vehicle will have to struggle and work hard to get through an obstacle that a slightly more built vehicle will simply drive over with no troubles whatsoever.
And over landing doesn’t always mean a rooftop tent , a full kitchen , awnings and every creature comfort in the world it can be as simple as some backpacking gear and a small cooler with some chilled beverages.
I love this build because it’s so different from the norm on overlanding sites .
Thank you. I did a lot of backpacking with my wife so I have a lot of compact lightweight gear that gets packed into this thing

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

You should check out elementfire.com for a much better, smaller and lighter fire extinguisher solution. Get rid of that monster and have a much cleaner more eco friendly fire extinguisher on your rig.
Thats a serious price jump over your standard fire extinguisher

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Thank you. I did a lot of backpacking with my wife so I have a lot of compact lightweight gear that gets packed into this thing
I guess the big difference when it comes to backpacking is by the end of the day you probably could sleep on a log and still sleep well because you’re so damn tired LOL

Backpacking made me fall in love with Hammock tents It was so nice to be so comfortable At night , although getting in the bag was always a bit of a struggle. have a nice big dry spot under the tarp to hangout when it rains and even when it was snowing still being warm by blocking the wind and having the campfire heat bounce off the back wall of the canopy . I always keep it in my truck whenever we go out just in case we need to stay somewhere overnight I have another sleeping option.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I guess the big difference when it comes to backpacking is by the end of the day you probably could sleep on a log and still sleep well because you’re so damn tired LOL

Backpacking made me fall in love with Hammock tents It was so nice to be so comfortable At night , although getting in the bag was always a bit of a struggle. have a nice big dry spot under the tarp to hangout when it rains and even when it was snowing still being warm by blocking the wind and having the campfire heat bounce off the back wall of the canopy . I always keep it in my truck whenever we go out just in case we need to stay somewhere overnight I have another sleeping option.
Yep. The hammock is definately my go to! I have all my gear for a shelter and goo night sleep all packed I to a standard backpack. I even threw in a fishing rod and tackle because there was room to spare.

Attachments

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I have driven this on looong trips before, wheeled for a weekend ( in a different country) and then drove home. It's not the most comfortable drive but it gets me everywhere I need to go. It has a few things added for camping and comfort... But not much. I am prepping it to drive across our province while taking on the hardest trails it has to offer in about 2 weeks
NOt sure what "looong" means and if it's no more than a month I'm sure it's entirely doable. The key question though is to do with the availability of spares. If you break anything non-standard in Bolivia or Congo, you run into major problems.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I certainly don't think that a standard vehicle will never break (Land Rovers spring to mind...) however I think that it's better to get a vehicle which will handle 99% of obstacles in standard form rather then buy something unsuitable and put a lot of expensive kit on it to enable it to get where you want, carrying then the risk that it may break because the overall design balance is not right. You can get more or less anywhere with a LC, Montero, or Patrol, in standard form. Bear in mind that I'm talking about "overlanding" and not "offroading".

You'll note that I didn't suggest a full kitchen, awnings, or every creature comfort, and suggested a RTT only if you don;t want to sleep in the vehicle or in a ground tent. I agree completely that you can travel extensively and enjoyably with very little.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I certainly don't think that a standard vehicle will never break (Land Rovers spring to mind...) however I think that it's better to get a vehicle which will handle 99% of obstacles in standard form rather then buy something unsuitable and put a lot of expensive kit on it to enable it to get where you want, carrying then the risk that it may break because the overall design balance is not right. You can get more or less anywhere with a LC, Montero, or Patrol, in standard form. Bear in mind that I'm talking about "overlanding" and not "offroading".

You'll note that I didn't suggest a full kitchen, awnings, or every creature comfort, and suggested a RTT only if you don;t want to sleep in the vehicle or in a ground tent. I agree completely that you can travel extensively and enjoyably with very little.

Well just by looking at his rig I don’t think multi country drives are the main goal of it . And I know people always say a stock rig can go 99% of the places they need to go but their are some who would rather spend their travel time tackling that 1% the other people don’t go to truly get away from everybody . I know In the winter around here stock rigs need to stay really close to the plowed roads where on the other hand I enjoy going way off in the middle of nowhere in a couple feet of snow because I love the absolute tranquility and silence from being so far from others . I really thought over landing just meant vehicle-based travel and camping not Just inclusive to multi week trips spanning multiple countries or spendIng monthS out at a time. but to each his their own some of us don’t have schedules that allow long long trips and would just be happy to get out for a week.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
NOt sure what "looong" means and if it's no more than a month I'm sure it's entirely doable. The key question though is to do with the availability of spares. If you break anything non-standard in Bolivia or Congo, you run into major problems.
You are right, in those places I probably wouldn't find spare parts, however anywhere in north America I can find what I need, and I don't plan to take it anywhere else. Unfortunately I don't get vacation time and I don't make a whole lot of money to save up to take the time off. I rent vehicles when I fly out or most of the time walk everywhere.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard

This vehicle is build to go places most others won't. It's a rock crawler/offroad trail runner first as that is it's primary use, overland vehicle second.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Well just by looking at his rig I don’t think multi country drives are the main goal of it . And I know people always say a stock rig can go 99% of the places they need to go but their are some who would rather spend their travel time tackling that 1% the other people don’t go to truly get away from everybody . I know In the winter around here stock rigs need to stay really close to the plowed roads where on the other hand I enjoy going way off in the middle of nowhere in a couple feet of snow because I love the absolute tranquility and silence from being so far from others . I really thought over landing just meant vehicle-based travel and camping not Just inclusive to multi week trips spanning multiple countries or spendIng monthS out at a time. but to each his their own some of us don’t have schedules that allow long long trips and would just be happy to get out for a week.
This is exactly it. It is my hobby rock crawler with a few creature comforts and storage built in for longer travel use. I have driven 8-10 highway hours at a time in it and spent days at a time on trails.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
This is exactly it. It is my hobby rock crawler with a few creature comforts and storage built in for longer travel use. I have driven 8-10 highway hours at a time in it and spent days at a time on trails.
So, just to help me understand, why is the title of the thread "Converting from rock crawler to overlander"? . That 's the (implicit) question I've been answering.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

it never really drove quite right with a store bought "bolt on" lift kit. pulled everything out and purchases a bunch of part to build one. it now has an upper triangulated 4 link in the rear, a 3 link front, and a high clearance belly plate ( don't think I have a picture). A Currie antirock sway bar in the front allows me to adjust the body roll and not have to disconnect at the trail head. this thing drives like a new Jeep, but i need to find a way to rout the exhaust because at the moment there is just a turndown off the cat.
I've always felt this is the best combination, well done. I agree store bought lifts are marketing and advertising for profit but not state of the art.

The only thing I think you are missing is gas mileage and range. But with 35s, 37s, you'll never really improve over what you have. And nice to see you have not cluttered your LJ up with a thousand pounds of overlanding marketing. I keep my TJ pretty basic too. It only becomes an "overlander" when I couple up the trailer.

Looking forward to seeing your trailer.

Last edited: