Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

We do a couple things, if we're especially lazy, we use kuju coffee, which is great if all you want to do is boil some water. It's all a self contained pour-over type thing so open it up, place it over your cup, then pour your hot water into it until you have coffee

Otherwise, I bring my french press. Easy to clean and it makes enough for the wife and I to have one cup each. Big benefit to it over the aeropress is I can have a much bigger grind to my beans. Small grinds like in the aeropress go rancid quicker than bigger grinds, and I grind before we go. So the bigger, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: kickkem

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

i have a stainless steel french coffee press. boil water, coffee and water in, set 5 minutes, press and good coffee. same style for coffee at home as on the road.

Reactions: kickkem and TerryD

azar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego, CA
Member #

Just been checking out the snowpeak percolator Looks good only thing is the nearest place i can get it is Australia
You can just get it from snow peak directly. They do have product here in the U.S with fast shipping. The percolator is expensive but what isn't any well designed product. I have a good amount of snow peak products and don't regret buying them. Just got to bite the bullet and hopefully you'll enjoy your purchase for the price.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Peets dark roast and the Coleman drip coffee maker

OB#03555
KK6NLX
OIIIIO 2011 JKU
I considered this but being the only one in the family who drinks coffee, the french press takes less room and doubles as a mug. We had a guy in the local club who brought one of these on the last big trip I went on and it did great for the group of us who did drink coffee though.

UntilWeAreLost

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Los Angeles, Ca
Member #

I used to make french press but I didn't enjoy additional cleanup and water waste. We have recently switched to the OXO Cold Brew. We make it during the week and it's concentrate so we keep it in a thermos in the cooler and just pour boiling water over in the morning. Don't have to bring a brewer and there is no cleanup and tastes like fresh brewed. I've even started drinking it daily before work. So far it's the easiest I have found.

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
For camping/off the grid I have a jetboil french press or regular pour over using a Halulite kettle and a plastic over cup. In a pinch I keep instant coffee packets. Saw a few folks note Chemex and they are sweet. I use that at home for pour over after I recently received it in a box kit.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

@Maxterra taught me the high speed baggie breakfast.

Pre-scramble eggs and any veggies or cheese you like, place in an individual heavy duty freezer bag (one serving per bag) and store in the cooler or fridge. In the morning, get the JetBoil going and plop the whole bag into the boiling water. Cook until done, but pop it out and squish it around to evenly distribute the fillings and make sure the center isn't runny.

My twist: when the eggs are done, drop some pre-ground coffee bags (like tea bags but for coffee) into the boiling water. Eat your hot eggs right out of the baggie and enjoy a hot cup of coffee while everyone else is still getting the pots and pans out. Your only mess is a single spork and your thermal coffee mug, which goes in the rig with you anyway.

Quick, easy, and a surprisingly good hot breakfast to get you on the road. As my dad would say, "We're burning daylight!" I know a lot of purists will say you need a French press and to grind your beans fresh. Believe me, I'm as big a coffee snob as the next guy, but this is actually really good without a lot of mess, or a lot of gear. It might not be the best coffee, but it is hot, black, and full of caffeine goodness. On a frosty morning, you really don't care.

Unless it is Starbucks. Seriously, friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm usually boiling water for oatmeal so I can mix that and fill my French press from the same pot. I really wish I could stomach eggs, the theory of an omelet sounds amazing, but I'd vomit after the first bite in reality.

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign