Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
There's nothing better than a morning cup of coffee when camping - just bought me an old fashioned red 8 cup enamel percolator coffee pot - http://amzn.to/2gLjhXu - this picture doesn't show it off as well - but it works great!

View attachment 29691
As a kid I remember my parents making coffee all the time with these with great success. Since my wife doesn't drink coffee, I typically only bring a GSI single cup french press kit, but I ended up picking up one of those enamel 8-cuppers to bring along when I know more coffee drinkers are going to be joining us. I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME GET IT TO NOT BLOW OUT GROUNDS.

Got any tips? I've tried adjusting amount of water, amount of grounds, duration of brew, etc. and still no luck. Every single time I end up with a whole bunch of grounds bubbling over into the pot.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

As a kid I remember my parents making coffee all the time with these with great success. Since my wife doesn't drink coffee, I typically only bring a GSI single cup french press kit, but I ended up picking up one of those enamel 8-cuppers to bring along when I know more coffee drinkers are going to be joining us. I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME GET IT TO NOT BLOW OUT GROUNDS.

Got any tips? I've tried adjusting amount of water, amount of grounds, duration of brew, etc. and still no luck. Every single time I end up with a whole bunch of grounds bubbling over into the pot.
Yes, to make good coffee please know it may take about 15 minutes. Fill the pot with water to just below where the pouring spout is in the pot. Next, I use 5 level scoops of coffee in the coffee basket. What I do is turn the stove on high and wait until the coffee is seen brewing in the top clear glass bulb on the lid. At that point, turn your burner to medium heat to avoid coffee grounds from over flowing into the coffee pot and let it brew for 7 minutes. Let the pot sit for one minute before pouring. This seems to work best for me.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Oh yeah, I don't mind a few, even happens a bit with my french press sometimes. As long as I don't end up with at least half the grounds floating in the post like my last attempts i'll be very happy!

T

The Raven

As a wilderness guide I tend to make a big pot of coffee with an egg.

1. Put all your coffee in a pot with the water.
2. Boil until it's strong enough. Take it off the stove
3. Break an egg into the hot coffee pot and wait until it solidifies.
4. scoop off the egg, ground mix and feed it to the dog
5. Enjoy ground free coffee.

As an alternative.

1. Do 1 and 2 from above
2. Then instead of the egg, spin the coffee pot like a propeller to force the grounds to the bottom,
3. pour one cup at a time
4. Be careful doing this as so much can go wrong :P

Last edited by a moderator:

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

As a wilderness guide I tend to make a big pot of coffee with an egg.

1. Put all your coffee in a pot with the water.
2. Boil until it's strong enough. Take it off the stove
3. Break an egg into the hot coffee pot and wait until it solidifies.
4. scoop off the egg, ground mix and feed it to the dog
5. Enjoy ground free coffee.

As an alternative.

1. Do 1 and 2 from above
2. Then instead of the egg, spin the coffee pot like a propeller to force the grounds to the bottom,
3. pour one cup at a time
4. Be careful doing this as so much can go wrong :P

So great mod overwatchers.....do I get that Innovator badge now. lol!!!!
I have never heard of this process. No filter needed!

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Here's how I make coffee when camping. MSR pocket rocket, GSI pot for boiling water, and a simple pour-over filter holder I picked up at Target. Simple, reliable, and very easy to clean up.

Reactions: kickkem

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Coffee pots are like cast iron to me. A good seasoned pot is key, so I drag my coffee pot I use at the cabin with me. I make my coffee over a woodstove 9 months of the year, and my pot has a nice patina on the inside of residue. I never wash it, for it ruins the taste.

Fill the pot with spring water, bring to a rolling boil and remove from heat. Add two fistfuls of home roasted and ground beans, let sit and get happy. Then a quick splash of spring water and nary a ground. Strong Smooth and black. A quick swish of water in the pot and let it dry, no wiping or washing. IMG_20170807_141506_hdr.jpg