Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

We use a Hario V60. It looks like a super pretentious, hipster coffee brewer for that "authentic" cup of coffee. I got it because it's simple and small. It fits nicely in my chuck box.
Pour over is a good simple approach for a great cup, but yeah, it's also totally hipster. I should know, I've got a Chemex I use at home...

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I like multi use items, and having a kettle to boil water for coffee, tea, grits, oatmeal, etc. also means none of those things end up tasting like the other. The kettle is only used to boil water; nothing is cooked, brewed or steeped in it.

I have had coffee made in a chemex once, it was a pretty good cup.
I've wanted to try chemex but just haven't jumped in yet. That being said I used to just boil my coffee water in a pot. I just recently picked up a collapsible silicone kettle with a metal bottom. Looks promising. Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Barton Fink

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

@Scott that sounds like the same kind of kettle we have. It's worked so far just fine for half a dozen trips. I'm curious how long it lasts before it develops a tear in the silicone, but for $20 or so it was a decent gamble.
Yeah I think we got ours fairly cheap.. I figure if it dies, no biggie.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Contributor I

We use an MSR whisperlite to boil ~1L of water in a jiffy in a titanium msr pot...then a simple pour over into baked enamel steel cups for me and my partner in crime. A fresh cup is about 2 min 30 sec away if you only boil a small amount (< 1 L / 32 fl.oz).

The cone is currently just a plastic melita #2 that we got for free, but we'd like a snowpeak collapsible one, ideally.

The grinds are the deelishus expensive beans from the local grocery store that we grind at home, just prior to going on the road. The 'good flavour' lasts for about a week in a sealed container, after that it starts tasting Nabob-ey.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I use all of the methods.

Via when I'm lazy.
Pourover, Sweet Maria Smart Dripper. Very good pourver method, lets you steep it for a few minutes before dripping.
Pourover, MSR coffee strainer. Very good and quick and easy for small cups. Does get grit in the coffee.
(I use a chemex at home, best drip system hands down)
French press: JetBoil, easy and quick and nice to have a dedicated stove/coffee maker for overlanding.
French press: Stanley MVCS, best all around.

This summer we settled on the Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System. It is nice to use the pot to portion the water and boil it. The french press makes a nice easy pot of coffee. Then the vacuum bottle keeps it warm while we nurse it all morning. I get up earlier than my wife, so this way I don't have to make another fresh cup for her.

Here's a video review I did of the Stanley system:
I also tried Kuju disposable pour over. It's good, but not fast and not enough coffee:
-M

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've got an REI 32oz French Press. I've tried smaller setups but I always end up needing to brew multiple batches to get my fix, plus this is double-walled, so it stays hot forever.
I have this exact press, it lasted through many long trips in Afghanistan, and then a few years here in the states, it finally came apart at the threads on the press rod, and I gave it up. I have a Stanley now.

We use a Hario V60. It looks like a super pretentious, hipster coffee brewer for that "authentic" cup of coffee. I got it because it's simple and small. It fits nicely in my chuck box.
I use a V60 every single day at home. Its just the best simple coffee maker there is.

My rig in the field is either a Jetboil or MSR Whisperlite International for water, and a Stanley French Press, or cheap pour over depending on the day, and whether I'm packing light or heavy.

RSO_Tyler

Rank 0

Contributor II

I love my coffee, or as we call it where I am from Swedish Gasoline!

I use a simple pour over set up for my coffee.

What do you use?
Little power boiler and a French press. Takes 5-10 minutes depending on altitude and makes a great cup of coffee. Also very small and light

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: kickkem

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I haven't actually used it yet. I saw it in a thrift store for $5 and couldn't leave it. I need to put some beans in my Hario Skerton grinder and some alcohol in the burner and make a cup of hipster coffee.

Chad