Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Wow, a 7 page thread about the best way to make coffee while camping. Overlanders are truly renaissance people.

Next, let's discuss how to keep that 1983 Chateau Margaux at perfect cellar temperature when traveling thru the desert...
Well referencing the fact that an '83 Chateeau Margaux holds of a current face value of about $318, you'd first want to be sure that you surrounded the vehicle in a safe travel vesicle.

Given, you are indeed a man whom consumes of the finest things in life, such as The Balvenie 50 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Sport hunting of endangered species, and fine genuine leathers, I would recommend you surround your overland wine with a quality case that both protects your investment, but makes a statement to all other overlanders that you indeed, are a man of fully developed and advanced tasting ability.

I suggest the SINGLE DELUXE LEATHER WINE CARRIER, with Hidden magnetic snap opening to water resistant lined interior with center division. Now that we have narrowed down the assumed product that will be transported, we next need to evaluate the thermodynamic properties and requirements to obtain the optimal temperature stabilization to your liking.

First, what is our goal? Chateau Margaux cellar temperature, though a very heated debate in the 2016 presidential election, is believed to be best stored at 14 degrees C. Given you are located in Oregon, we also may need to consider that the climate may try to drop below this ambient temperature. to offset this and keep the wine at a control, i highly recommend keep your heat on full blast during all trip, to first and foremost let your fridge do all the work, and also to be sure that your engine stays cool.

Now we must compensate for leathers insinuative properties. Best practices suggest that you keep the fridge 2-3 degrees below desired temperature to offset the effects of your premium leather case.

Our last concern of course is serving temperature, and aeration. I believe the most tasteful method would utilize this Model T truck decanter, to allow the wine to acclimate to the desired serving temperature of 18.5 degrees C, while still serving as an homage to your overlanding roots.

Serve and enjoy.

I hope this helps, now lets get back to coffee.

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

In 2008, I interned for a therapeutic recreation outdoor program in Colorado. One one trip, i was charged with the supplies, and grocery, for 8-10 clients, volunteers and staff, on a canoe trip across a lake. We were ready to go, and 1/2 way to the put-in, someone asked "What kind of coffee are we having in the morning?" As a non-coffee drinking, i said "None". Someone almost flew through the windshield because the van stopped so hard. After the abrupt stop, we had to back track a few miles to the closest grocery to get some coffee grounds and a basic percolator. Needless to say, that was the last time i was in charge of food.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

In 2008, I interned for a therapeutic recreation outdoor program in Colorado. One one trip, i was charged with the supplies, and grocery, for 8-10 clients, volunteers and staff, on a canoe trip across a lake. We were ready to go, and 1/2 way to the put-in, someone asked "What kind of coffee are we having in the morning?" As a non-coffee drinking, i said "None". Someone almost flew through the windshield because the van stopped so hard. After the abrupt stop, we had to back track a few miles to the closest grocery to get some coffee grounds and a basic percolator. Needless to say, that was the last time i was in charge of food.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We brits aint that acumplished at the coffee brew more T i allways like a coffee , facinates me when i see the camp fire with the coffee pot on .
When ive tried this it always tastes stewed were am i going wrong ?

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
If you are using a percolator that's going to be your main issue. Also, if the water tastes bad, the coffee will taste bad.
Id like to know how you Americans leave what looks like a enamel billy can on the fire and pour piping hot coffee or does it just look better than its tastes

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Aeropress. Very small and light. Quick. Surprising excellent! Really.

Also JetBoil press.

Last resort, those coffee cubes from Starbucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
We brits aint that acumplished at the coffee brew more T i allways like a coffee , facinates me when i see the camp fire with the coffee pot on .
When ive tried this it always tastes stewed were am i going wrong ?
Not being American.

All kidding aside, I've never been able to make good coffee that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
After trying a few:

Milita one cup pour through filter
Jetboil Press
Standard Percolator
Aeropress
Starbucks Via instant coffee

It has basically come down to levels of laziness and wanting multiple cups in the morning...

Super Lazy = Use Jetboil for water and Starbuck's Via Instant

Partial Lazy = real pre-ground coffee, Jetbol for water, and Aeropress

The percolator always ended up with coffee grounds in the coffee and the french press version of the Jetboil was too much cleanup for not enough coffee. Cleanup with the Aeropress is almost non-existent but brews a very nice cup o' joe!

Reactions: ASNOBODY

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Until recently I just went without. I can get by but as my coffee addiction has been fueled by it being readily available at work in the mornings, I've begun to want it on the trail. At my bachelor's party a few years ago, we were camped out mid-trail up on the mountain and one of the guys had brought a percolator and made coffee that morning. I realized how nice that was and started looking into ways for me to make it on a small scale since the wife doesn't drink coffee. I finally decided to try the Stanley french press and so far I like it. I can boil water with my little Peak1 stove and I'm good to go.

Most everyone has a Yeti style cup now so if someone in the group wants a cup, I can just pour it in their cup and make another batch in the press. If it ever gets to where I need more than that, I'll get a percolator and learn to use it I guess, but for now my little press does great.

Reactions: toxicity_27

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Id like to know how you Americans leave what looks like a enamel billy can on the fire and pour piping hot coffee or does it just look better than its tastes
I love coffee, however it does smell better than it tastes. Nothing beats the smell of coffee in the morning, especially if you are in the woods.