Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm surprised only one other person (hey @woundflatout!) mentioned an Aeropress (https://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/).

Even at home, it's my preferred method. Consistent coffee -- always fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I mentioned the Aeropress too.. I use it. My only issue is it's a 1 cup deal. and I feel like I need to clean it out before making a second cup. I have a pour over setup in my amazon cart now, and I may try that next for coffee.. Seems like it may be easier to make more than one cup with a pour over than the aero press. I'd also like to try a Moka pot or similar at some point too.... If I'm not drinking beer, I'm drinking coffee....

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Definitely check out a pourover if you don't have one. It is gonna be simpler to clean than an Aeropress but you're still doing one cup at a time if you only have one. Either way, great coffee.

And I'm with you regarding beer if not coffee! (Or better yet, coffee beers!) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
ohhh yes.. Coffee beers!!!

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Here is my home setup. I will be getting the Jetboil Flash Java kit soon. Or I may get a different camp kit. We shall see.

Reactions: kickkem

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
We usually go with the French Press when travelling. It really makes a great cup of Joe, but I get nervous carrying the glass. I've got my eye now on that Stanley...

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I like multi use items, and having a kettle to boil water for coffee, tea, grits, oatmeal, etc. also means none of those things end up tasting like the other. The kettle is only used to boil water; nothing is cooked, brewed or steeped in it.

I have had coffee made in a chemex once, it was a pretty good cup.
I do similar. beat up old percolator pot with the insides removed for heating water and an Ikea stainless French press get it done.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
How many real coffee cups do you get out of that? I have one of the REI branded ones, 32 oz I think, and it is really only good for 2 real mugs of coffee.

I came across this at Amazon. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

48 oz is a lot. I don't think anything else is going to make more at one time. Add more grounds and drink slightly less coffee
How many real coffee cups do you get out of that? I have one of the REI branded ones, 32 oz I think, and it is really only good for 2 real mugs of coffee.

I came across this at Amazon. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

4 12 oz cups. Not bad. If that's not enough just make it stronger!

-M

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

48 oz is a lot. I don't think anything else is going to make more at one time. Add more grounds and drink slightly less coffee

4 12 oz cups. Not bad. If that's not enough just make it stronger!

-M
Coffee that's made too strong doesn't taste all that good to me. If I'm going after a caffeine fix, and I can't have good coffee. There are other ways of waking up.

"It's all in the grinds"

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
@Captain
Coffee that's made too strong doesn't taste all that good to me. If I'm going after a caffeine fix, and I can't have good coffee. There are other ways of waking up.

"It's all in the grinds"
I didn't realize there was such a thing as "too strong" :wink:

I agree, there is a point where bitterness takes over, and it is no longer good. For me, it does take quite a bit to get there, but I'd guess as with most things its a matter of taste (no pun intended :sunglasses:)

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno

"It's all in the grinds"
Sure. And french press is the best way to make coffee too strong for sure. However it is easy, and 48 oz is a lot to make at one time. Maybe make two batches and put extra in a big Stanley.

-M

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I would rather have a large pot, and make less.

One of the issues that I am trying to overcome is not having to another pot for "one more cup".

Most people in my crew fill up their coffee mug, drink a bit of it, top it off with whatever is left in the pot, and get on the road.

Due to the fact that I'm a little crazy when it comes down to how I make coffee. It takes a while to get it all put together. If I can figure out how to make enough for everyone, in one shot, that's what I want to do...

4 adults, 3 dogs, and 2 teenagers, waking up, making breakfast, and packing up camp...

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

None of you are married to a Polish woman it seems... She makes it strong enough to stand a spoon up in the cup... I've grown to like it that way.

But, with the French press, if we want more, we just spoon in a little more grounds and toss some more water on top.
Hahahahahaha being Polish I know exactly what you mean! [emoji23] I ask if anyone wants coffee and everyone runs. Lol

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Wow, a 7 page thread about the best way to make coffee while camping. Overlanders are truly renaissance people.

Next, let's discuss how to keep that 1983 Chateau Margaux at perfect cellar temperature when traveling thru the desert...
Or Chili recipes?